DR Considers Outlawing Guns

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
From today's news on DR1

During the wake, Minister of Interior and Police Jose Ramon Fadul announced that next year he would propose the elimination of carrying of firearms. He suggested that this should be only allowed for people whose profession requires a weapon n security, military or police.

-------------------------
I hope this will never happen. But anyway there will be a loophole "for people whose profession requires a weapon".

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
That makes my blood boil, random shootings every other day. They'll kill someone for a nickel, suddenly it's the murder of a politician that makes them reconsider the safety of the city....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Look at it this way. If they take away all guns from citizens, then all citizens are at the mercy of the criminals and even worse, the Police. They will have the guns and no one can protect themselves and their families. At lease legally they can't.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Look at it this way. If they take away all guns from citizens, then all citizens are at the mercy of the criminals and even worse, the Police. They will have the guns and no one can protect themselves and their families. At lease legally they can't.

This will just convert legal gun owners into illegal gun owners. But Dominican politicians are dumb enough to do that.

Why Leonel is proposing that? He has a lot of security around his buiding in Naco next to the EPS office... police, military.. is he still afraid that somebody with the legal gun can kill him like Juancito? :)

By the way, there are more than 200,000 licensed gun owners... plus members of their families.. how many votes total?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Quick way for racketeers to make a fast buck. They will then be the suppliers.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Just imagine that the guy who killed Juancito could do the same with machete, for example... what a blood bath, much worse than a gun shot :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just imagine that the guy who killed Juancito could do the same with machete, for example... what a blood bath, much worse than a gun shot :)

yes, but it is far easier to defend one?s self from a guy with a machete. if you can manage to close the distance between an attacker and yourself, you can render him ineffective, unless he is far bigger and stronger than you are. a gun does not allow for that option.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
By the way, there are more than 200,000 licensed gun owners... plus members of their families.. how many votes total?

About 5% of voting population and the number probably includes military and police, so gun ownership is not an election issue.

What is an election issue is security of the 10 million who reside in the DR.

The country has an opportunity to complete the review and update Dominican gun law which has been stalled in the Senate for some months now for the good of all persons resident here as well as visitors.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
About 5% of voting population and the number probably includes military and police, so gun ownership is not an election issue.

What is an election issue is security of the 10 million who reside in the DR.

The country has an opportunity to complete the review and update Dominican gun law which has been stalled in the Senate for some months now for the good of all persons resident here as well as visitors.

these are the numbers of private gun licenses, not military or police

and prohibiting of legal gun carry can only make the security of 10 million Dominicans worse. It's much better if guns are in hands of citizens who can afford very expensive legal gun prices than in hands of uniformed ghetto chimp criminals from so-called policia nacional..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Military and I also believe Police cannot vote in the DR. I know Military for sure.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
once again, legal gun owners AND members of their families... that makes the numbers significant for the elections. Are Leonel, Fadul and Co that stupid?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
once again, legal gun owners AND members of their families... that makes the numbers significant for the elections. Are Leonel, Fadul and Co that stupid?

200,000/4,536,000 x 100 = 4.41%

And a large percentage of the 200k will be no doubt foreign residents No Votas too

It is a Dominican issue and let them deal with it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
200,000/4,536,000 x 100 = 4.41%

And a large percentage of the 200k will be no doubt foreign residents No Votas too

It is a Dominican issue and let them deal with it.

exactly, ju10. any foreigner who does not like Dominican gun law initiatives knows exactly where the nearest airport can be found.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
exactly, ju10. any foreigner who does not like Dominican gun law initiatives knows exactly where the nearest airport can be found.

Most of the legal gun owners are Dominicans. They have wives, parents and other family members who can vote. Or you think if the Government will take a legal gun from a person who paid two thousand dollars for it, his wife will vote for PLD after that?

Regarding the nearest airport, I think if they really outlaw the gun carry, first I'll try to find a way to still carry it legally... bribe somebody to get the real police/military id or something like this. I have it done in another country before, so i think there will be the same options... so heading to the nearest airport will be the last option.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Guns licenses need to be issued to those who require them for protection of home and family and no more.DR does not need people carrying their weapons in public places and it certainly does not need drunk models firing off in the street nor unhappy politicos firing off at conventions.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suspect the consideration of the law will remain a consideration. This thread could be merged into the one I started on this topic previously.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This has been coming for a time. The government has been making it more and more difficult to legally own a gun here. Fingerprints, ballistic checks and other dumb obstacles. It will be like New York City that has the toughest gun laws in the country yet you can go into any alley and buy a handgun. Just plain dumb. Does the NRA have a branch chapter here? Are they going to buy my guns when they pass this?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Guns licenses need to be issued to those who require them for protection of home and family and no more.DR does not need people carrying their weapons in public places and it certainly does not need drunk models firing off in the street nor unhappy politicos firing off at conventions.

Who are you to decide what DR needs?

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
It's their country and they can do what they believe is best, but in my opinion eliminating legal gun ownership won't make people safer.

Maybe it would if there was less corruption and a better judicial system. I think, in this case, it just removes the criminals fear that the potential victim is armed.

Also if this goes ahead, it'll probably start the same day as some kind of "volunteer police officer" or "part time security officer" program. I suspect they'll be some loophole to extend cronyism to legal gun ownership, and if that happens I think that would be a bad thing as well.