Ny times article on how "deportees" are faring

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Incredible how the NGO's and Haiti both do absolutely nothing for them. That money must go somewhere.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All the Haitians that I've seen in Jarabacoa over the past few years are still here, and there are quite a few newcomers. We have around ten Haitian children in the school, all have birth certificates from either the DR or Haiti and their parents have either visas or residency. It's terrible that the Haitian government will not look after it's citizens.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ah, Fish!, as if I could do any good on the border?!?!? It is not as if I really have any sort of useful skills for survival- like finding water or digging a well.

As for the "aid" raquetteers - I would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself - but it is pretty well documented that 7 out of every 10 dollars of aid goes back to the donor countries - in staff etc http://www.centeronfic.org/v2/equip/publications/articles/lordspovertyservantspoor.pdf ... I have a friend who used to work here for Oxfam - and said that of the $3 that actually hits the ground here, about $.50 reaches the people in the "field".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like the woman who shipped (or wanted to ship) her car to Haiti from her previous assignment.

They live large those volunteers....nice life
and the world thinks they're helping..........

Baloney

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ah, Fish!, as if I could do any good on the border?!?!? It is not as if I really have any sort of useful skills for survival- like finding water or digging a well.

As for the "aid" raquetteers - I would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself - but it is pretty well documented that 7 out of every 10 dollars of aid goes back to the donor countries - in staff etc http://www.centeronfic.org/v2/equip/publications/articles/lordspovertyservantspoor.pdf ... I have a friend who used to work here for Oxfam - and said that of the $3 that actually hits the ground here, about $.50 reaches the people in the "field".

That is what people should really understand. How little of the money they donate actually reaches its destination because the rest is stolen.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Like the woman who shipped (or wanted to ship) her car to Haiti from her previous assignment.

They live large those volunteers....nice life
and the world thinks they're helping..........

Baloney

to be fair - one NEEDs a car in Haiti - unless one is going to do the Mother Theresa route perhaps - or an expensive rental.

I hung out for a while with some folks from USAID - and the US gov. routinely ships personal cars from one country to another (one woman was hoping she would get her "price" here as she could not in Africa)

The entire aid industry is just -- well -- a failure...

it has been the most depressing revelation of my ten years here.

Actually - I think that the Mormon (church?) probably does more - as the one thing that they work on is getting people into businesses (so they can then tithe the ten percent, etc.. but the Mormon preachers are not paid)

I always wonder how it is that people want to be frightened by horror movies when reality is so terrifying,.

And it is not as if there is just ONE book on this topic.. there is a library. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/323327.The_Road_to_Hell

Now.. I must go
quickly
to find SAND

to stick my head
into

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
there are some notable exceptions

such as the Schweitzer hospital
and Partners for health

and I do think that the Heifer Project has great merit but the guy who is running it in Haiti -- was not running it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As you know, the Schweitzer people are friends of mine.. the founding family

They have done and continue to do an excellent job.

The family still visits, contributes and is active in the project.

You should read the history as to why the founding doctor named it after Schweitzer - if you haven't done so already

A fascinating story

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I didn't read the article because its probably more of the same that has been said before. I do wonder if anywhere in the article mentions this:

Haiti is in a major recession with thousands of young people unemployed, many peo*ple have no food to eat, hundreds of childre do not have money to attend school, there are no jobs, the coun*try is beset with vio*lence, there is ram*pant polititical cor*rup*tion, but at least we know that our “musi*cian” pres*i*dent is going out in style– spend*ing mil*lions of dol*lars on a con*cert while mil*lions starve.
(...)

The reported fee that these two artists received is nearly $1,000,000 — yes, one mil*lion Amer*i*can dol*lars– from a coun*try where the masses do not even make one dol*lar a day and usu*ally starve.
(...)

With the elec*tion less than 6 months away, his son orga*nized this mega con*cert and yet within a few weeks, there will be thou*sands of expat Haitians being forced to return from the Domini*can Repub*lic. But does Martelly care? No, of course not– he never has. From the begin*ning he has been involved in cor*rupt schemes only to enrich him*self and his fam*ily. Why the need to spend money on two Amer*i*can hip hop artists when peo*ple are actu*ally starv*ing in Haiti is a mystery.
(...)
http://haitiexpressnews.com/2015/06/30/the-true-colors-of-outgoing-president-martelly/

A couple of rich American rappers that would not lose their sleep if they heard that the whole island sunk in the ocean are more important than hundreds of thousands of Haitians.

Ps. The asterisks appeared after copying some sentences from the article.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Well, we all know you will NEVER donate to ANY charity, so you can feel safe knowing this will never happen to you.
TACANO!!

A two year vacation, and that's all you got upon re-entry?
Welcome back, see if you can keep up with Chic's intelligent contributions.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, we all know you will NEVER donate to ANY charity, so you can feel safe knowing this will never happen to you.
TACANO!!

Such intelligent discourse.

The topic is why people in Haiti are not being helped by their own government and why little of the money targeted for aid ever reaches them.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-...n-republic-are-finding-themselves-pulled-back

A world away from Europe, another migration crisis is playing out, but it?s a difficult one to define.
Player utilities

On the Caribbean island of Hispaniola, tens of thousands of Haitians and their children have crossed from the Dominican Republic back into Haiti in recent months. Most were economic migrants once, trying to scratch out a living on the Dominican side of the island.

But last year, the Dominican government called on all Haitians without legal papers to leave the country. And many fled after being threatened with violence.

Since last summer, a sea of makeshift shelters has emerged along the southern end of the Haiti-Dominican border. Some call them camps for lack of a better term, but that?s generous. They?re a collection of homes made of scavenged sticks, cardboard, tattered clothing and ripped tarps.

The Haitian border community of Tete a l'Eau, where hundreds of families settled in recent months after fleeing the Dominican Republic.
Credit:

Bahare Khodabande

And many who went back to Haiti still can?t resist the economic pull of its neighbor.

Mirsis is one of them. He lives here now with his parents and two sons. (We?re using just his first name to protect his identity.) He worked in the Dominican Republic as a farm hand for eight years, but he says last June, his family gave up everything and walked across the border.

?They were threatening us in the DR,? he says. ?If they were going to do something bad, we didn?t want to wait for it. They said if we didn?t go the easy way, they?d make us go the hard way."

And there were rumors of Dominicans stockpiling machetes ? which seemed credible, Mirsis says, given the history here.

?They said what happened under Trujillo, if people don?t leave, they could make it happen again,? he says.

In 1937, under orders from Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo, thousands of Haitians were massacred along the Dominican side of the border.

Now, Mirsis and his family live in this border camp, subjected to the heat, dust and health risks that include a fresh outbreak of cholera. But perhaps hardest to take, there is no income.

So how do you survive? I ask.

He says he crosses the border for occasional jobs at the farms where he used to work. ?I cross on foot, with one eye in front and one eye in back,? he says, ?to make sure no one hits me from behind. My heart is always jumping.?

Mirsis is not alone.

North along the border, down a steep rocky road is a valley filled with more permanent dwellings ? and vegetable gardens.

Andreis Jean-Louis greets us as we walk down the road. He says he moved here last March after some Dominicans threatened to burn down Haitian homes in the DR.

He points across the valley to a white cliff topped with trees.

?That?s the Dominican Republic,? he says. Among those trees, you can make out spots where the sun glints off glass or metal. ?Those are Dominican barracks,? he says. ?There?s one over there where they try to prevent people from crossing if they have no papers.?

The border marker at Tete a l'Eau, Haiti.
Credit:

Bahare Khodabande

We walk through the settlement and pick up a narrow, but well-worn path. A local named Jean Joseph Daniel says this is a daily commuter route.

?This is the path you take to get into the Dominican Republic. It?s usually easy to get through,? he says. ?There are mornings they won?t let anyone pass without papers, but people take the risk, and at about five in the morning they head to work across the border.? Locals say some people walk upwards of three hours every day to reach their farm jobs in the DR.

Just before the path descends into a dried-up riverbed, it passes a stone border marker. On the Haitian side of it, in a hut made of branches, Christella Saintime sits on a foam mattress on the ground, nursing her six-week-old baby. She says, ?When I came here from the DR I was five months pregnant. ... They said what happened under Trujillo [in the 1937 massacre], if we didn?t leave, that could happen again.?

She says she fled into Haiti with her baby?s father, but he?s not here now. ?There?s no work on this side,? she says. ?He?s gone back to the Dominican Republic.?

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
No one seems to mention the Person in charge of the money donated to Haiti . Whare did it gO? Bill Clinton says the moneys he was in charge of is safely guarded in his Foundation. Hillery Is smiling Thinking she will be President Bill is financeing her campain as she says she and Bill were pennyless when they left office. No expence is to much for his Surigate presidential candidate. She wins Bill will be at the front desk Hillery will be in the kitchen and Monica will be in the Presidential guest house across the street. The world will be Happy the Clintons will be Happier and Haiti will be the same

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
That is what people should really understand. How little of the money they donate actually reaches its destination because the rest is stolen.

And, let us bounce mentally to the other thread where someone is wanting to give direct to hungry people and is discouraged and told to give thru already established groups. If one wants to do good do it ona one to one basis.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

The Clinton Foundation is a major culprit. http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/charity-watchdog-clinton-foundation-a-slush-fund/
They used their influence in Haiti to get Hillary's brother into the Gold business. http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Hillary-Clinton-Tony-Rodham-Haiti-gold-mining/2015/03/06/id/628687/

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As you know, the Schweitzer people are friends of mine.. the founding family

They have done and continue to do an excellent job.

The family still visits, contributes and is active in the project.

You should read the history as to why the founding doctor named it after Schweitzer - if you haven't done so already

A fascinating story

Any relation to the Schweitzer family in France (Albert) ?.

It was the name of my High school by the way.