Car rental.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I strongly suggest you hire a driver with his own car, based upon your history in the country.

I am comfortable with the idea of driving here. I have a few friends that have driven here and they said it was not that bad. I am just driving from here to Las Terrenas.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am comfortable with the idea of driving here. I have a few friends that have driven here and they said it was not that bad. I am just driving from here to Las Terrenas.

Do you have Casa de Conductor coverage, in the event you hit a moto?

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Go accross Las Americas by the airport, or just go the airport and find a buscon, they'll drive you to the place and get the rental cheaper than any rent-a-car would.

As Andrea mentioned, go around the airport and you will definitely get best prices, be sure to pay for insurance.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You may not have read previous threads about car rentals but you be aware:

Car rentals are tough to acquire during the holidays as a great many Dominicanos return from wherever to spend time at home, they want rentals. If you get a rental, take pictures of the vehicle, inside and out, at the rental origin lot, get vendor sign or obvious landmark in background or a copy of the day's newspaper headlines. Read the vehicle fuel gauge and make note of it with vendor. Note any damage to vehicle with vendor. Make sure there is an emergency assist phone number with paperwork. Be firm and ask for "all" charges you will be hit with when you get the bill. If paying with a credit card check with the cc company if they have insurance for the car in the DR, this is add'l to the insurance you purchase from vendor.

Good Luck and Drive Defensively because the other drivers won't.

Regards,

PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Another important detail, do NOT leave your passport as guarantee. I never recommend anyone rent a car but if you know what you're getting into, then best of luck to you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maybe your landlord has an extra set of wheels to rent you?
Sorry, could not resist, you are asking for trouble by renting a car with your track record.
I am sure you can find someone that owns a car that can use the dinero to drive you, and have NO headache.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Another important detail, do NOT leave your passport as guarantee. I never recommend anyone rent a car but if you know what you're getting into, then best of luck to you.

The US cautions its citizens not to submit the document to anyone to hold as a guarantee. The passport is the property of the US government and is to be used for international travel only.

Regards,

PJT

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Reputable rental agencies will accept copies of your documents. Franchisees of the international providers (Budget, Avis, etc.) will provide services like roadside assistance, vehicle replacements, basic vehicle maintenance and safety checks, etc. that the bargain independent providers will not. Ask some of the advice givers here if they've ever rented a car or used any of the services they recommend (i.e. Casa del Conductor).

The US cautions its citizens not to submit the document to anyone to hold as a guarantee. The passport is the property of the US government and is to be used for international travel only.

Regards,

PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Reputable rental agencies will accept copies of your documents. Franchisees of the international providers (Budget, Avis, etc.) will provide services like roadside assistance, vehicle replacements, basic vehicle maintenance and safety checks, etc. that the bargain independent providers will not. Ask some of the advice givers here if they've ever rented a car or used any of the services they recommend (i.e. Casa del Conductor).

Unfortunately, many look for the cheapest option available and often it isn't one of those international providers. Many people don't investigate much, they ask Juan at the hotel entrance or the motoconcho on the corner where the they can rent an inexpensive car and off they go. They know better than to use a credit card in the DR so instead of leaving a cc deposit, they leave their passport. After all, what is someone going to do with another person's passport? Poor innocents... Then they wipe out a motoconcho, car has damages, renta a car is asking for ridiculous amount and have their passport held as guarantee. Then they become news back home and on DR1.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
What I have learned over the years from renting a car in the DR. My experience is strictly to Santo Domingo - Azua - Barahona area.

1) Drive defensively and be very aware of your surroundings. I tend to be a little on the aggressive side, but everyone has their own style. Just know what you are getting into.

2) Buy the insurance even if your credit card will cover you. Yes, it makes the overall bill more expensive but consider the laternative if something happens. You will wish you had paid a little more.

3) I do not drive at night. I make sure all my fun driving is done the day time and then use a taxi to get around at night. Plus this lets me drink a couple of beers without worrying about driving and crashing. Peace of mind is a most.

4) If you only know US style of driving you will be in for a shock. Don't rent a car. Hire a driver.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
What I have learned over the years from renting a car in the DR. My experience is strictly to Santo Domingo - Azua - Barahona area.

1) Drive defensively and be very aware of your surroundings. I tend to be a little on the aggressive side, but everyone has their own style. Just know what you are getting into.

2) Buy the insurance even if your credit card will cover you. Yes, it makes the overall bill more expensive but consider the laternative if something happens. You will wish you had paid a little more.

3) I do not drive at night. I make sure all my fun driving is done the day time and then use a taxi to get around at night. Plus this lets me drink a couple of beers without worrying about driving and crashing. Peace of mind is a most.

4) If you only know US style of driving you will be in for a shock. Don't rent a car. Hire a driver.

All sound advice.

Comment on the original subject. I doubt that the floor mat was taken out of the car when returned in order to cause the problem or obtain $$$. Having said that if offered I am sure it would have done the trick. It was probably left and forgotten outside the car when the lot guy was cleaning the car, maybe that side of the back was especially dirty. It is common for the return reps to make customers offers when not bringing the gas full, pay him/her $10 and you won't have to get charged the real amount which depending on the fuel level could be a lot more.
There is also another side of the story. Having been in the car rental business for over $20. in the states plus running 2 of the companies here I can tell you that it is not that uncommon to have someone (a local renter as opposed to a tourist) rent the car, switch out the new battery for a lousy old one OR rent it and take the nice new tires to be replaced with used tires and my all time favorite (seen here much more than the states), get in an accident and get the car fixed before returning because they didn't take the insurance. The worst one I saw was actually painted with a brush. I always told the managers that if a car came back covered in mud, especially at night have the guys hose the car down before accepting it.
I am very glad to NOT be in that industry any longer.