Meaning of "one"

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I have recently happened upon the word or abbreviation, "one", inscribed on the wall at the entrance of my residence. I paid it no mind, at first thinking it was some graffiti or somes kid's message of some sort. What subsequently got my interest was it was also posted outside other homes in my area. I asked around, nobody seemed to have an answer. I traveled to Higuey and saw the same thing outside the homes and businesses of some friends. I inquired of them and they had no idea of what was occuring. A common factor for them all, the writing was in red and on occasion there was an actual numeral adjacent to the written word.

I don't know what is going on, feel as though there is some Passover type thing (marking the doors with lambs blood) being played upon us for some reason. Anybody have knowledge of this? Regards, PJT

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
CDE

Could it be the electric company setting up their new meters and billing system? Last year in Sosua they were marking all the homes while installing the meters so that they could efficiently (hah!) invoice their customers.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
one reply

Jane, thanks for your response. Someone else had offered that explanation and I had dismissed it because my area is serviced by a private power consoritium with a 7/24 power supply and Higuey's supply is public, subject to brownouts. I don't think the graffiti is common to both. Regards, PJT

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I have another theory

It could be that ONE (Oficina Nacional de Estad?sticas) is making some sort of property census in your area. It makes lots of sense to me, the next census is supposed to be done this year.

Check: www.one.gov.do

abe

Jan 2, 2002
One is the loneliest number.....

I would prefer to think of it as DR cheerleading, as in We're Number One.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Organisacion Nacional de Epidemias

I think it is the control of diseases, like malaria and others...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Oficina Nacional de Estad?sticas

Pib, thanks, your reply makes the most sense. There has been some communication recently that the government will be assessing property for taxes. This may be an indication of the beginning of the process. Regards, PJT

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Organisacion Nacional de Epidemias

[B]Squat[/B] said:
I think it is the control of diseases, like malaria and others...
Did you make that up? I have never heard of that.

I still believe that it has to do with some kind of census. ONE is the one in charge of censing and next census is fast approaching. I've seen the sign on many places already.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
vaccines register

Like Squat mentioned, in my neighborhood every house was marked last year that contained children, for the Polio vaccine.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
ONE

Quoted from List?n Diario
...se est? haciendo trabajo de campo para actualizar la cartograf?a de Santo Domingo, San Crist?bal, Santiago y Monte Plata. En las dem?s provincias ya se realiz? esa tarea...
La actualizaci?n de la cartograf?a permite establecer las nuevas viviendas que hay en un lugar y las que se han eliminado. De esa forma se pueda hacer un trabajo con m?s exactitud. El pr?ximo paso es agrupar de forma gr?fica los datos. Esta tarea est? a cargo de un equipo de arquitectos que trabaja en la ONE.
Explica
In short: ONE (Oficina Nacional de Estad?sticas) is doing some field work in the entire country to design the maps that will be used for the next census. The census is scheduled for "the next months".