LOTS of Dominicans in Boston

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DR1 News:

Dominicans biggest group of foreigners in Boston

A new report has been issued by the Boston Redevelopment Authority that says more than a quarter of people living in Boston in 2014 were born outside the United States. This is a 19% increase since 2000 and of the 656,051 residents in 2014, 177,461 were born overseas. Half of them are now naturalized US citizens.

The top country of origin for the foreign-born city dwellers is the Dominican Republic with 13%, followed by China with 10.6% and then Haiti.

According to the report, from 2000 to 2014 the proportion of residents over the age of five speaking a non-English language at home increased from 33% to 37%. Spanish is the most common non-English language.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/12/21/report-boston-foreign-born

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yep, two of my wife's cousins invaded Boston with their large families from Long Island. They all speak English though, and most work, with several taking the train back to NYC for work.

May 29, 2006
Funny how you never hear many folks complaining about "illegals" in MA. There are several smaller cities and towns with more Dominican per capita, and of course Washington Heights in NYC..

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
Providence as well

This past Monday I had lunch at La Roca next to Roger Willaims zoo. The former mayor of Providence, Angel Taveras, took me there. His dad is from my beloved Moncion/Jijcome and his mom from Navarette.
I will eating at La Zona in Cranston on Sunday as that is their special day for Sancocho. My daughter is a PA in Pawtucket and one patient brought here a full lunch of Dom food today plus pernil made the PR way

May 12, 2005
DR1 News:

A new report has been issued by the Boston Redevelopment Authority that says more than a quarter of people living in Boston in 2014 were born outside the United States. This is a 19% increase since 2000 and of the 656,051 residents in 2014, 177,461 were born overseas. Half of them are now naturalized US citizens.

The top country of origin for the foreign-born city dwellers is the Dominican Republic with 13%, followed by China with 10.6% and then Haiti.

According to the report, from 2000 to 2014 the proportion of residents over the age of five speaking a non-English language at home increased from 33% to 37%. Spanish is the most common non-English language.

http://www.wbur.org/2015/12/21/report-boston-foreign-born

And there's Lawrence too........................

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
DR1 News:

So, if I understood right about 25% of Boston residents are foreign-born of which 13% are Dominicans, from which one concludes that about 3% of Boston residents are Dominicans.

Not sure if that is "a lot", but it is certainly a significant number.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Just as an FYI, sources on the streets say that Boston is a major hub for drugs esp. cocaine. Many travel to Boston to pick up and traffic it to NY.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just as an FYI, sources on the streets say that Boston is a major hub for drugs esp. cocaine. Many travel to Boston to pick up and traffic it to NY.

Since it is illegal, they have to get it from somewhere that they know how to work the system.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Ya don't think, do ya, that there's any connection between the drug trade in Boston and the number of colleges/universities in the area?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Hyde Park Ave. seems to run from Haiti/Cleary Square to the DR/Forrest Hills T station. At least Cleary Square still has trees left.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The commute time one way by train from Boston to NY is 3.5 hours at best while some trains take 5.5 hours . 7 hours of commute time daily, plus the cost of that train (price ranges from $67 to $164 one way) is just silly.

3.5% of those in Boston appear to be Dominicans according to the figures above.

Drugs? They are everywhere and certainly flow in all directions.

Apr 7, 2014
The commute time one way by train from Boston to NY is 3.5 hours at best while some trains take 5.5 hours . 7 hours of commute time daily, plus the cost of that train (price ranges from $67 to $164 one way) is just silly.

They arent commuting from Boston. That would be too expensive. What is happening is that they are commuting from the Boston area(probably Rhode Island) or they are claiming residency in Massachusetts for lower car insurance or income taxes or homes are cheaper in the Boston area than NY but only on the weekend.

You see it when people commute from eastern Pa to NYC. Or West Virginia to DC. They work all week in the city and go back home on the weekend.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i have no idea why you would respond to an assertion that people commute from Boston to NY for work.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I guess you never hung out in Warren Towers?
You would be astonished @ the level of narco-recreation going on.

My good friend went to B U

Spent some serious time in Warren Towers......

As a matter of fact that is where I had my first experience with a woman of color......

Everyone was hammered, she dragged me into her room....

Put on Donna Summer, (more more more) and went to town.........

Great memories....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Put on Donna Summer, (more more more) and went to town.........

Good man, my "first such experience" was in the outdoor shower of my Fire Island house with a guest named Ellen, we had to conserve hot water, Jee Jee!

Feliz Navidad.

[video=youtube;UPXizlnS7go]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXizlnS7go[/video]