Canadian visitor Visa Info

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
When I applied for a Canadian visa there was no biometric data taken and no consular interview, but this was before the earthquake. Back then the consulate was in Haiti.

How has the process changed? Do you need to get fingerprinted now?

I'd appreciate any first hand info on this.

Thanks!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
As far as I know for Dominicans is not necesary fingerprint yet. But things change and maybe when you apply again rules change. They have now a new Visa Center where you must go to deposit the papers in torre Piantini, Av. Abraham Lincoln. They also asist people to fill out the aplication for an extra fee.

Here you can have all the info http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
As far as I know for Dominicans is not necesary fingerprint yet. But things change and maybe when you apply again rules change. They have now a new Visa Center where you must go to deposit the papers in torre Piantini, Av. Abraham Lincoln. They also asist people to fill out the aplication for an extra fee.

Always expect changes that do not favor the gringo. When i applied for residency in late 2009 it took almost 18 months to get it, at that time it was a 1 year temp then you apply for permanent. 2 months after receiving residency they changed the law implementing a 5 year temp renewal before applying for permanent. Two lawyers assured me I was safe due to getting before law change. Reality I am now on my 4th year temporary. Believe nobody, be prepared for the worst!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Did you go after the earthquake?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Did you go after the earthquake?

Yes, I applyed first time in Dec 2012 I got 6 months multiple visa, then applyed again in 2013 and I got 6 years visa. In that time all process was made in Consular office in Acropolis, now they changed and Acropolis Office Embassy is only for Citizens. First Ime I got the visa I got the interview at the airport in Toronto with an Inmigration Officer. With my next visa I only talk at the checkpoint entrance officers.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Online is the best option

Did it twice already online just upload all paper work and follow the progress online, got message after 5 days to bring passport to visitor center and then got it back after another 5 days with the 6 years visa inside.

Nobody ever asked anything in Toronto.

You can also apply online if you prefer. Same website.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Did it twice already online just upload all paper work and follow the progress online, got message after 5 days to bring passport to visitor center and then got it back after another 5 days with the 6 years visa inside.

Nobody ever asked anything in Toronto.

To me only first time at my arrival sent me to the inmigration office. After that not anymore.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Always expect changes that do not favor the gringo. When i applied for residency in late 2009 it took almost 18 months to get it, at that time it was a 1 year temp then you apply for permanent. 2 months after receiving residency they changed the law implementing a 5 year temp renewal before applying for permanent. Two lawyers assured me I was safe due to getting before law change. Reality I am now on my 4th year temporary. Believe nobody, be prepared for the worst!

Expat , she is talking about a Visa to Canada, not a Dominican Visa or residency.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
lol, I hope more Dominican travelers to Canada so we could get back some flights from SDQ. For me is a pain in the neck to go to Punta Cana to take a direct flight. From la Romana is only on fridays in Winter. Wish to have at least on direct flight from Santo Domingo.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When I applied for a Canadian visa there was no biometric data taken and no consular interview, but this was before the earthquake. Back then the consulate was in Haiti.

How has the process changed? Do you need to get fingerprinted now?

I'd appreciate any first hand info on this.

Thanks!

All visas from DR to Canada are now processed in Mexico. No interview or fingerprints for visitor visa. Use the links above and apply online.

Good luck

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
lol, I hope more Dominican travelers to Canada so we could get back some flights from SDQ. For me is a pain in the neck to go to Punta Cana to take a direct flight. From la Romana is only on fridays in Winter. Wish to have at least on direct flight from Santo Domingo.

Sorry I hit the wrong button,

No direct flights from SDQ but Air Canada on Sundays and Westjet on Fridays from La Romana to Toronto

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi guys, thanks to thouse who replied. I recently did the process and got a new Canadian Visa. The first time, I got it for three years, now it expires with my passport.
I didn't go to the VAC, so If anyone has any questions regarding the online application, feel free to ask.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Update on Forms

Before filling out the "Temporary Resident" form for online applications, make sure that you have the most recent version (2017). You can the check the year at bottom left corner of the form, in tiny print. If you try to upload an old version, the system won't accept it.