Transportation from Punta Cana to La Romana

Chasmc

Feb 18, 2014
I'm flying into PUJ on January 13 at 9:30 pm and I was planning to rent a car to get to La Romana but when I was looking online I see that the car rental places close at 9pm! Any advice on a one way ride at that time of day?

May 29, 2006
If you're going to an all inclusive, they can usually arrange transport. There are always plenty of taxis, but I couldn't venture what they'd charge.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There is a sticky named something like Punta Cana airport taxi fares here on DR1 - just do a search. But, it goes back to 2004 and wanders all over the place - I don't know if you will find what you are looking for. But, I know from personal experience:

$100 USD taxi PC to La Romana. More or less. I think they have a set list of charges at the airport. But, it may also depend on how desperate you look at 9:30 at night. The farther away from the exit door at the airport you get, the cheaper it gets, but the drivers also get more sketchy.

People are probably going to give you advice to stay over night in PC and take the bus the next day. This will be marginally cheaper if you stay in a cheap hotel in PC maybe $60 if you an find one - it is high season. But, then there is the taxi cost of going from airport to hotel and finding bus next day, adds to the cost. Unless you take motorcycle taxi (moto concho) - cheaper but potentially deadly at night. If you are used to this kind of transportation, no problem I guess. Depends on distance to cheap hotel. I can't think of one close to airport.

Express bus PC to La Romana is about $6 USD. 1.5 hours on the bus. Bus won't be running at 9:30 at night.

All things considered, the taxi from the airport near exit door to La Romana is probably the best. (Unless you can find the resort transport as PIB says above.) Choices depend on your tolerance for cost and inconvenience. Taxi avoids all but cost. No fun going at 9:30 at night though. I don't like the autopista at night (big highway to La Romana), but that's just me.

If you are inexperienced, don't like uncertainty, or potentially risky situations, and have the money, stay in the Sheraton near PC airport overnight and take the bus the next day.

Chasmc

Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the Sheraton and the bus schedule for the next morning. I need to be in La Romana by 10am. If anyone knows of a private transportation option for the night I arrive, I would be willing to pay for that service as opposed to taking the risk of getting a bad taxi ride that late at night.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the Sheraton and the bus schedule for the next morning. I need to be in La Romana by 10am. If anyone knows of a private transportation option for the night I arrive, I would be willing to pay for that service as opposed to taking the risk of getting a bad taxi ride that late at night.

Google Airport transportation Punta Cana and you will find info on cars you can hire. It's not rocket science. Good luck and good travels.

Chasmc

Feb 18, 2014
Thank you, I've heard of Google, I'll check it out. Seriously though, I've done that and looked on Tripadvisor but it's always good to get recommendations from people that have actually used one of the services. TA and Google reviews can be faked and I don't solely rely on them.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do a search for Bronley de Jesus on DR1. You can coordinate transport with him prior to arrival. Less stress.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Just take a taxi at the taxi stand. Theres has to be a few drivers familiar with Laromana on the taxi line. The ride should cost $100 . The ride to the resort area is $80 and laromana is 15-20 minutes away from here. Going this route gets you to Laromana way before midnight.