Main road between Sosua and Cabarete

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
This road is deteriorating fast, it was in bad shape 8 months ago and nothing has been done. I try hard to avoid the pot holes but hit one while driving in the rain because I did not see it. As a result I popped a tire and had to buy a new one. It is high season now with many tourists and visitors here and the roads are in terrible shape. Do we have to wait another four months until the election to at least fill in the many holes in the road? The north coast surely feels like its forgotten.

Jul 28, 2014
Don't worry, Pedro Clisante is getting interlocking brick sidewalks to bring in a zillion tourists, and with all the income from the ships, the roads will be paved with gold...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Same old- It is what it is

This road is deteriorating fast, it was in bad shape 8 months ago and nothing has been done. I try hard to avoid the pot holes but hit one while driving in the rain because I did not see it. As a result I popped a tire and had to buy a new one. It is high season now with many tourists and visitors here and the roads are in terrible shape. Do we have to wait another four months until the election to at least fill in the many holes in the road? The north coast surely feels like its forgotten.

It's like driving an obstacle course.
Avoiding the potholes and other drivers at the same time, sometimes the potholes win.
This continues all the way to Las Terrenas.
With all the lauded improvements to the sidewalk on P.C. work still is not complete doubt it ever will be.
Side streets are crumbling and more street lights out than ever.
None of this will attract tourist or make them feel safe.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
the best part is when you are going from sosua to cabarete the small 'hill'.

first the potholes are on the right hand side of the lane, so everyone goes in the middle of the road. then the potholes decide to mix things up and placed themselves in the middle of the road now. you are happy to have avoided the damn potholes and bang, ran into a sneaky one waiting. it's a bit like AMET.

on top of it, the whole uphill battle lies completely in the shadow, so it's impossible to see the potholes.

I started to memorize the road signs, first in the middle, when the second road sign comes move to the right, works perfectly.
It also has an upside, I need to use my brain at least once a week on my way to Gordito's. Still worth the danger and excitement of the journey.

From time to time they fill up holes, but I think they use a water solvable filler because you can see it filed exactly once, and it's gone the next day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There one just past Sea world on the PP to Santiago road that will take out your frontend. Problem is you can't see many until the last moment , then it's too late and too dangerous to take evasive action. My street had three large ones that I filled in myself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More dangerous every day between Sosua and Cabarete

I was also going to post about this. They did fill in a little cement in a couple of the holes, but it has not improved the situation.

People are going die here or be seriously injured as cars, busses and huge trucks cross the center line time and time again into head on traffic.

Why is this not repaired properly?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I guess they not expecting to take them Cruise Ship Passengers all the way to Cabarete then ?
Maybe if one of them looses a Tooth Filling or bites the tip of their Tongue off, and complains about it they will do something.
Wonder if they will fix it before Semana Santa...?
In the meantime, as was posted already.. Pedro C in Sosua is getting a Complete makeover.. LMAO

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
They paved parts of road about a year ago, I think they used cheerios and corn flakes on the asphalt as it started to deteriorate soon after they put it down

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess they not expecting to take them Cruise Ship Passengers all the way to Cabarete then ?
Maybe if one of them looses a Tooth Filling or bites the tip of their Tongue off, and complains about it they will do something.
Wonder if they will fix it before Semana Santa...?
In the meantime, as was posted already.. Pedro C in Sosua is getting a Complete makeover.. LMAO

The amount of cruise ship passengers going to Cabarete (or Pedro Clisante for that matter) is negligible and is not a consideration into the problem of this increasingly bad section of road. They just skim coated the surface a while back and that helped for about two weeks. The entire section needs to be redone properly.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well then all we need to do is find out when the President is coming to Cabarete for some Photo Op , and the Roads will be paved exactly a week before that ... Dominican S O P.

Jul 28, 2014
Well then all we need to do is find out when the President is coming to Cabarete for some Photo Op , and the Roads will be paved exactly a week before that ... Dominican S O P.

He was in Sosua not long ago and the highway was still untouched, guess he felt bad the chica's had to walk on an uneven old sidewalk...

Guthrie

May 3, 2007

first the potholes are on the right hand side of the lane, so everyone goes in the middle of the road. then the potholes decide to mix things up and placed themselves in the middle of the road now. you are happy to have avoided the damn potholes and bang, ran into a sneaky one waiting. it's a bit like AMET.

on top of it, the whole uphill battle lies completely in the shadow, so it's impossible to see the potholes.

I started to memorize the road signs, first in the middle, when the second road sign comes move to the right, works perfectly.
It also has an upside, I need to use my brain at least once a week on my way to Gordito's. Still worth the danger and excitement of the journey.

From time to time they fill up holes, but I think they use a water solvable filler because you can see it filed exactly once, and it's gone the next day.

I look for the Hideaway Beach sign. Start riding the yellow line to avoid the holes on the right.
I drove that road for 2 weeks and I saw 3 vehicles change their tire right after the hill.
It is a great location for a tire repair shop.

You definitely need to make sure you have a spare, jack, & wrench for that stretch.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
He was in Sosua not long ago and the highway was still untouched, guess he felt bad the chica's had to walk on an uneven old sidewalk...

The high heels on them Pavers or cobblestones is going to be even more hysterical though.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Relax all the elections are coming and it will soon be repaired :)

See what I have done for you lately ?????

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess we need a pool to predict when the numb-nuts in charge will actually fix the road properly. That means tearing out and rebuilding the bad sections correctly.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I guess we need a pool to predict when the numb-nuts in charge will actually fix the road properly. That means tearing out and rebuilding the bad sections correctly.

Fix the road PROPERLY? I will wager a whole year's salary that it will NEVER BE DONE.....EVER! If they can't build decent roads that last more than five years in the rest of the country, why would this little stretch be any different?

If it does get fixed by means of a political sweetener, it will be a patch job, or maybe an inch or two of new blacktop, but a decent permanent repair, never!