Tourist killed at Macao

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just drove by Macao corner and a vehicle hit a tourist dune buggy. It looked like at least one guy was dead. Definitely a tourist by the way he was dressed and dune buggy parts were everywhere.
This is also a corner where the MOPC guys sit everyday and they where there today. While the accident happened. They are just to damm lazy to get off ther usless butts and direct traffic.
My condolences to this mans family. This was totally preventable.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
No. There where probably 75 or more people with cars parked everywhere. I didn't want to add to the problem. I have come across enough accidents here and in Canada to know when to stop and help and when to keep moving.
This one really pi**ed me off because it was so preventable.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This, it appears, will be yet another sad story on the roads this holiday season. From what OP has written and not knowing the exact geography of the incident, it appears we have essentially an off road vehicle crashing with an on road vehicle in a location where such an event is avoidable for whatever reason.

Personally, I am very much against the uncontrolled use of essentially off road vehicles on the roads in some of the tourist zones in this country for the simple reason that driving on highways and interacting with road traffic at very best is a very risky business indeed. This has been confirmed this past week by the fact that DR is the deadliest place to drive on the roads in the western hemisphere.

Unfortunately the tourist wants their thrills and businessmen in tourist areas rent off road vehicles, and from what I have seen and heard the training and advice given by 'some' renters is poor. And mixing in with regular traffic is a recipe for disasters. Was it not last week that someone wrote about the son of a prominent person on the NC being killed on an off road vehicle?

The OP may cast blame on MOPC for the wrong reasons. Imo MOPC should not be allowing off road vehicles to travel on highways without more stringent controls. Not sure if it is in MOPC's remit to control traffic as suggested.....I believe that is AMET.

Equally, I suspect driving on sand beaches is off limits to off road vehicles in DR so perhaps greater overall control is an issue here.

Don't blame the OP for moving on. There are times one can help and others where an added onlooker serves no purpose.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
It was most likely part of a tour. They do that everyday in Macao. Did you see other dune buggies? I've driven several times to that beach and seen very poor driving habits on those tours.. Half of them are drunk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Do I need to say anymore about the perils of this island ?

yes, you do. you do not know how the accident happened. one of my very dear friends was killed in an accident in Jamaica, when a drunken American ran him off the road and crashed into him when he was already in the bushes. wait till you hear how it went down before assigning blame.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It was most likely part of a tour. They do that everyday in Macao. Did you see other dune buggies? I've driven several times to that beach and seen very poor driving habits on those tours.. Half of them are drunk.

These beach buggies have always been a problem..they have no licence for driving on the roads and the hotel guests and others who use them drive them in an unresponsible way...I think there was a thread some years ago when concern was expressed about the damage to the dunes, but the conduct on the road is appalling. Definitely not the fault of the MOPC man ,,they would run him down if he tried to confront them .

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
No. There where probably 75 or more people with cars parked everywhere. I didn't want to add to the problem. I have come across enough accidents here and in Canada to know when to stop and help and when to keep moving.
This one really pi**ed me off because it was so preventable.

I, like you stop when I am first or so on the scene but once the circus starts, since I am not a doctor I pass on by and pray the injured are ok or a straight with God.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hurried car ?

The corner(s) or crossroads, there are two of them. One near PropaGas and the other by Texaco Macao. When the buggy caravans are going to and from the beach they halt and hold at the crossroads with Blvd Turistico del Este. The buggy crew members walk or place their own rides into the blvd to stop cross traffic and will entreat their group on hold to cross when allegedly safe to do so. It is on some occasions Mopac and Amet agents will assist crossing the caravans.

It may be reasonably surmised a tourist buggy did not hold when requested. Tourist buggy drivers unfamiliar with buggies can mishandle a machine or there could have been an equipment malfunction causing the tragedy. But, PJT conjectures or suggests that most likely a hurried car in the blvd cross traffic could not or would not stop to allow the buggies to cross the intersection. Maybe factual information will be forthcoming.

PJT's heart goes out to the victims.

Regards,

PJT

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

There were several other buggies parked at the scene. When I drove by it was probably 2 or 3 minutes after the accident. As I said there were at least 75 people around the victim.
The day before this accident a friend was driving on this road and at that exact corner an old beater farm truck ran the stop sign and totalled his rental car. Luckily no one was hurt. All MOPC did was stand around and be a pain. While we waited for the tow truck at least 3 gravel trucks and 2 cement trucks went thru the intersection doing at least 100kmh. They just pull the air horn and don't slow down.
You couldn't pay me enough to go on one of these tours.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Its a long weekend. By the time everyone gets back to work it might be old news

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
http://www.facebook.com/Bavaro-Digital-312866558728216/?fref=nf"

Scroll down a little.

They have to report it but try to keep it "on the low"

btw it was a drunk Russian hitting the buggy

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Under wraps

They have to report it but try to keep it "on the low"

It is the norm in the tourist zone to keep news reports of unflattering nature concerning events about poor safety and risks under wraps for fear such news will negatively impact the tourist trade. Sort of like the mayor of Amity Island (Jaws) not wanting to close the beaches after the shark attacks for fear of losing tourist revenue.

Regards,

PJT

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
so are these buggies allowed to drive on the roads? Whose responsability is it when there is an accident?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A friend of mine drove by just after it happened and confirmed the same info provided here. He said the MOPC guys loaded the 2 injured foreigners into their pickup to take them to the hospital but from what I read, one was dead on arrival. Very sad and avoidable accident.