Best Snorkeling in the Dominican Republic

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Doing some online research Bayahibe comes up. I wonder if it's better than Cayo Arena.
I haven't been to either but Cayo Arena is much closer.
Ideally I would like to find an area where I can snorkel for a few days to a week that's not about taking a one day excursion for $100 and housing is safe, clean and not too expensive.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Samana Bay

Can you be a little more specific..
I am so there...just couple short months now..
But Are you referring to samana City ? by the Grand Bahia principe side ? or by Cayo Levantado
... I am guessing its near that nice Hotel on top of that big HILL, from central Samana City. I only got as close as the front gate unfortunately..
Really curious about this.. is there public access point

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Doing some online research Bayahibe comes up. I wonder if it's better than Cayo Arena.
I haven't been to either but Cayo Arena is much closer.
Ideally I would like to find an area where I can snorkel for a few days to a week that's not about taking a one day excursion for $100 and housing is safe, clean and not too expensive.

I have not snorkeled but dove in Bayahibe. It was about as good as it gets in this country. It has been a while but I do believe at least one of the spots was shallow enough to snorkel.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I have not snorkeled but dove in Bayahibe. It was about as good as it gets in this country. It has been a while but I do believe at least one of the spots was shallow enough to snorkel.

Would you say that in 90 ft of water, you could snorkel and see everything the divers are doing at the bottom ?
In my limited scuba experience that has always been the benchmark of good visibility.. and only one place I have ever experienced it was in Negril Jamaica, circa 1985.. .Lateral I would say was about 300 feet... it was absolutely amazing...Sure would be great if there was a place like that in the DR.

Can you be a little more specific..
I am so there...just couple short months now..
But Are you referring to samana City ? by the Grand Bahia principe side ? or by Cayo Levantado
... I am guessing its near that nice Hotel on top of that big HILL, from central Samana City. I only got as close as the front gate unfortunately..
Really curious about this.. is there public access point

All around Samana town

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Isla Catalina, Isla Saona, Punta Rucia.. Costambar........really?

I've been to Las Galleras a few times. The beach is beautiful. The water is gin clear. Never snorkeled there.....interesting.

Last edited: