Seperation from live in girlfriend

ROJOBRAVO

Nov 12, 2015
My dad kicked his livein girlfriend of three years out of his house because she was selling
His cows about 5 thousand dollars worth and about 4 thousand dollars of
his gold disappeared while he was in the USA. Whe called the alcalde told him him we wanted her
Out of the house, wrote out a complaint the alcalde signed it. , my dad signed it , and a witness to her
Selling the cows signed it . Then we put a chain and lock on the house and notified her she was allowed
To get her belongins out with the presence of the alcalde. She is now sueing my dad for damages
Did we do anything illegal, Is she entitled to any money for being a livein girlfreind
For three years? Bye the way she came back had my worker falsely arrested , broke into my
Dads house with a hammer with two civil gaurds and apparently took something she had hidden
Inside the house probably gold or money.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At first glance I thought this was another Chic thread.
Sounds like your father's live-in girlfriend is a real piece of work. $5,000.00 worth of cows and $4,000.00
worth of gold? Expensive lesson.

For some strange reason whenever I see or hear about a Dominican women flying the coop, I always think about Martha in
in that movie Blow. Right about the time she learns Mr. Jung has just run out of money and can no longer support her
luxurious lifestyle.

Drama fit for a king.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My dad kicked his livein girlfriend of three years out of his house because she was selling
his gold disappeared while he was in the USA. Whe called the alcalde told him him we wanted her
Out of the house, wrote out a complaint the alcalde signed it. , my dad signed it , and a witness to her
Selling the cows signed it . Then we put a chain and lock on the house and notified her she was allowed
To get her belongins out with the presence of the alcalde. She is now sueing my dad for damages
Did we do anything illegal, Is she entitled to any money for being a livein girlfreind
For three years? Bye the way she came back had my worker falsely arrested , broke into my
Dads house with a hammer with two civil gaurds and apparently took something she had hidden

3yrs living with him. Thats as good as having a wife in the eyes of the law.

I suggest he gets a decent lawyer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
3yrs living with him. Thats as good as having a wife in the eyes of the law.

I suggest he gets a decent lawyer.

that is good advice right there. i saw the fiscal in POP force an American guy to give half his stuff to some waif from Nagua who had lived with him for 7 months.

Reactions: beachcomber

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In this case he should be bringing criminal charges against her, at least for the cows. The rest would be harder to prove.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My last fling lasted 3 years, And she hid or threw away my passport when she suspected I was leaving. But that is about it.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003

My live in of 4 years cost 10.000$ in court ?.she moves out to live with new b/f I say good luck ,?.it doesn't work out ?. The grass is only greener because its covered with BS..So she is back with solicitor they work on 33% of what they can get off the gringo big incentive, I was told 4 years is the magic number for her when they can get 65% of the home you lived in by law but if the bank is involved they have to take what they can get, in court I say she moved out to live with new b/f they say of course she did ?but unless you have a video of them in bed you are out of luck, so solicitor don?t chase ambulances here they go after foreigners with GF where else can they get 3000$ for 1 h in court?.and before you say pre nup I went after one before we moved in but was told not legal unless marred, and I didn't know of the new 4 year law my 10,000$ mistake ?now I believe the law has had to change for pre nups because the courts are full of gringos with x G/f it?s just to much temptation to get a house or 65% of one for living with a guy for 4 y or less ,
My advice with y dad x is take legal action against her as soon as possible with a good lawyer she may end up with possible jail time and negotiate that against what she is trying to take y dad for and GOOD LUCK.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I met a gringo here who asked me to pick up his American girl friend at the airport. He hadn't met her in person as yet, but they had made promises to live happily ever after. So I picked her up, but before we got to his house we were diverted because the Dominicana he had been living with refused to move out of "her" house. He says he owns the house, but the Dominicana asserts her rights I don't blame her actually. Left the poor American babe out in the cold returning back to Kansas City without even meeting the guy, but he should have had a place for her to land before encouraging her to get on a plane!

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003

Well, you really need to retain a lawyer, but keep us informed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Court decisions have evolved regarding long-term companionships (concubinato). A Supreme Court decision dated Dec. 14, 2011, states that a "concubine", just by doing housework, forms a “de facto partnership” (sociedad de hecho) with her companion, that is subject to “liquidation” upon his death.

It should be pointed out, however, that previous decisions of the Supreme Court have established very restrictive conditions on the rights of concubines: (a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; (b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; (c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous from its origins; and (d) the couple should be of different sexes.

Posted in the Legal section a couple of years back by Fabio Guzman. The OP's father's concubine does have some rights.

Those of us with long term partners outside marriage need to be aware.

Apr 7, 2014
Court decisions have evolved regarding long-term companionships (concubinato). A Supreme Court decision dated Dec. 14, 2011, states that a "concubine", just by doing housework, forms a ?de facto partnership? (sociedad de hecho) with her companion, that is subject to ?liquidation? upon his death.

It should be pointed out, however, that previous decisions of the Supreme Court have established very restrictive conditions on the rights of concubines: (a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; (b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; (c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous from its origins; and (d) the couple should be of different sexes.

Posted in the Legal section a couple of years back by Fabio Guzman. The OP's father's concubine does have some rights.

Those of us with long term partners outside marriage need to be aware.
Yea
A. Give her the home but dont worry about much because her income wont be able to maintain it.
B. Secure your assets apart from mere disposable income
C. Dont let her move in.

May 29, 2006
Sell the property/assets before starting legal action and move the money back home. She made the first move with the gold and cows. Seems to me she'll get half of what's left.

Leaving gold around the house is a bad idea in any case. There are enough expats getting murdered as it is.

May 29, 2006
Another thing I've heard is buy property but put it in a relative's name. Have him move the title into your name until he's untangled. Same goes for any other big assets.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not sure if this applies in the DR, but if you put the Asset into a Corp ownership. ( of course you need to maintain the Corporation then, which may not be worth it for you) but ANY asset in a Corp Name is UNtouchable .. by a spouse or anyone, and especially if you have your other Family members own shares in that Corp.. and esp if they own over 51% ..

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I am trying to understand the most cautious approach for future reference. I am reading, do not let her move in. Is it helpful to rent the woman an apartment instead of moving her in when nearing the 2 year mark, somewhere separate from where you stay? When it is time to walk away, just stopping give her money for the apartment.

I understand it is vital to really know the moral priorities of a person and their family, before becoming another drama story.

May 29, 2006
Another object lesson is Hillbilly's rule to avoid women who do not at least have in pesos what you have in dollars. I wonder what she did with all that money. Acrylic nails aren't that much..