best place to rent

dgaulin

Jan 6, 2016
Hello, I'm new to dr1. My wife and I are from the U.S. and considering purchasing a condo/apartment in the Punta Cana/Bavaro beach area at some point. I'm just wondering which neighborhoods and/or complexes would be a good choice to rent in for a few visits before we buy? Our price range won't allow beach front, but we don't mind walking 7-10 minutes to the beach. We would like to be walking distance to beaches, shopping, restaurants, etc. I was directed to try this part of the forum to get some suggestions.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hello, I'm new to dr1. My wife and I are from the U.S. and considering purchasing a condo/apartment in the Punta Cana/Bavaro beach area at some point. I'm just wondering which neighborhoods and/or complexes would be a good choice to rent in for a few visits before we buy? Our price range won't allow beach front, but we don't mind walking 7-10 minutes to the beach. We would like to be walking distance to beaches, shopping, restaurants, etc. I was directed to try this part of the forum to get some suggestions.

I would strongly recommend renting long-term before buying. There is a glut of properties available right now, and more being built literally every day. Take your time, rent for a few months at a time, and get to know a neighborhood or three first. Los Corales is a good area, most complexes have some form of dedicated security on-site. There are *many* complexes to choose from in the LC area. Cocotal and White Sands have their own golf courses and have rentals on-site, but I'm told the shine may be off those roses already (though I could be misinformed).

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
If you want to live in a secure place, the place is Cocotal. You're in a middle of a golf course with amenities and super market near by.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I would strongly recommend renting long-term before buying. There is a glut of properties available right now, and more being built literally every day. Take your time, rent for a few months at a time, and get to know a neighborhood or three first. Los Corales is a good area, most complexes have some form of dedicated security on-site. There are *many* complexes to choose from in the LC area. Cocotal and White Sands have their own golf courses and have rentals on-site, but I'm told the shine may be off those roses already (though I could be misinformed).

great time to buy again look at your family line....lots of family...buy no kids. no relatives rent...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks. How are the restaurants in the Cocotal area?

Probably the best restaurant in the area just opened right in Cocotal. Las Terrazanas, a Spanish run place that is elegant inside and out. They cook unbelievable Rib Eye steak on a outside coal grill.

But I would suggest that you need a car to enjoy life there.

dgaulin

Jan 6, 2016
Thank you. We are coming down for a week in March and staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical. I believe Cocotal is within walking distance?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you. We are coming down for a week in March and staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical. I believe Cocotal is within walking distance?

The main entrance is across the street from The Melia entrance. To go to the restaurant that I recommended just go in the gate and walk about 20 meters to your left.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Cocotal you're within a short walking distance of the Palma Real mall with a supermarket, banks and several restaurants. There is also some arrangement for free beach access via the hotel, if I'm not mistaken.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cocotal has very good security, many different places to rent or buy there. But you need to look carefully, as there are many options there. And you can bargain a bit. Don't pay the Gringo price. Many affluent Dominicans live there. Very nice Villas there also.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Look or rent at Sol Tropical. It's accross the street from Vista Sol. It will give you a good idea as to what the neighborhood is like and what you would be buying into.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
In Cocotal you're within a short walking distance of the Palma Real mall with a supermarket, banks and several restaurants. There is also some arrangement for free beach access via the hotel, if I'm not mistaken.

You need to have the Owner's Card for beach access. No OC, no beach access.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Renting in Cocotal does not give access to the Beach via any of the Melia complex. Only owners have access. You would need a car or by bus to either BiBiAqua or El Cortecito or Los Corales.
You might do better in the Palm Suites area you had previously mentioned. You can walk to the beach.