Moving to La Romana

giuliap

Jan 8, 2016
Hi everyone! :)

I am new in the forum and would ask for some advice about La Romana area:

1- Which barrios are the best to live in and how expensive are they? I was looking at Buena Vista Norte lately and some friends told me you can find a small and safe 2-bedrooms apartment there for something like RD$ 10.000-12.000 per month.

2- How much does it cost to live there? I live in a very simple way, I'm not a big fun of clubs and eating out, so I'm mainly concerned about food, transport, water, gas etc.

3- Is it a safe city? I know there are areas which are really dangerous (Villa Hermosa above all), but is it possible to walk in the city centre streets by day without fear? I won't have a car at the begginning, so I would like to know more about it.

4- What about tourism jobs? Can you cover the living costs with the salary?
I am going to work for three months this summer at Viva Dominicus Beach in Bayahibe and they offered me 800$/month plus accomodation and food.
Do you think it will be possible to find a better paid job (maybe around 1000$), accomodation not included, in the future and live in La Romana on my own on that budget?

5- Eventually, I'd like to ask to the people who have been living there for some time if they were able to "blend in". I know we will never be 100% Dominicans, but I think we can be accepted by the society and feel part of it.

I speak Dominican Spanish very well and know pretty much about the culture, I have been traveling to the DR 3-4 times per year for two years now and I'm looking forward to my summer working experience before taking tthe big step and moving.

Thanks to everyone who'll answer and sorry for my poor English - I am Italian! ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I assume you are from Italy. If so go to Punta Italia just down the street from Jumbo and ask to speak to the owner. I forget his name, but he is also from Italy and has been there a long time. He would be able to answer all your questions. He is an OK guy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
5- Eventually, I'd like to ask to the people who have been living there for some time if they were able to "blend in". I know we will never be 100% Dominicans, but I think we can be accepted by the society and feel part of it.

Why worry about that ?
Haitians live in DR, so an Italian should be fine, lol.
Just enjoy the experience.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes Giuliap , I know La Romana very well , I once lived close by and now go there regularly to play golf and tennis and visit .
Buena Vista Norte is the best of the La Romana barrios ..it is east of Rio Dulce whereas 95 % is west . It has no colmados nor supermercados so you have to cross the river to shop. It is affluent but attracts many petty thieves . You will be battling to find a 2 bedroom apartment for 10,000 pesos monthly...but there are many apartment buildings there.
La Romana is a bit more expensive than the capital and electricity blackouts are common ..A good cheap supermercado is Iberia but it is 150 pesos on a moto concho from BV Norte to Iberia.
You are correct Villa Hermosa and El Mulo are not safe day or night but if you keep east of Avenida Santa Rosa during the day and keep your wallet hidden it is safe walking at day time . The police in La Romana are, at present, very corrupt , and have a poor reputation.
The only tourism jobs are at Bayahibe or in Casa de Campo ..the latter pay very poorly but have a few side benefits relating to health care ..There are many gua guas from near the Rio Dulce to Bayahibe every hour .I doubt if you will find a job for $1000 in la Rmana pueblo in tourism .
There is quite a large Italian population living in la Romana pueblo ..there are several Italian restaurants ...Many Italians live part year in Casa de Campo.
Blending in with the locals ...I would be very doubtful if you could do this.. you can start with the churches, basball teams , other italians...but I have found out that the people from La Romana who have been to school together or in the same church tend to stick together . I would not like to come to La Romana, solo, looking to meet friends. Of course, if you are solo , you can try the discos but you need to know the rules of behaviour .
My very strong advice would be to accept the offer from Viva Dominicus ...buena suerte

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Send a PM to 4x4x4. He is one of the few people on the forum that I know lives in La Romana. I haven't seen him post much lately but he knows the area

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hi everyone! :)

I am new in the forum and would ask for some advice about La Romana area:

1- Which barrios are the best to live in and how expensive are they? I was looking at Buena Vista Norte lately and some friends told me you can find a small and safe 2-bedrooms apartment there for something like RD$ 10.000-12.000 per month.

2- How much does it cost to live there? I live in a very simple way, I'm not a big fun of clubs and eating out, so I'm mainly concerned about food, transport, water, gas etc.

3- Is it a safe city? I know there are areas which are really dangerous (Villa Hermosa above all), but is it possible to walk in the city centre streets by day without fear? I won't have a car at the begginning, so I would like to know more about it.

4- What about tourism jobs? Can you cover the living costs with the salary?
I am going to work for three months this summer at Viva Dominicus Beach in Bayahibe and they offered me 800$/month plus accomodation and food.
Do you think it will be possible to find a better paid job (maybe around 1000$), accomodation not included, in the future and live in La Romana on my own on that budget?

I speak Dominican Spanish very well and know pretty much about the culture, I have been traveling to the DR 3-4 times per year for two years now and I'm looking forward to my summer working experience before taking tthe big step and moving.

Thanks to everyone who'll answer and sorry for my poor English - I am Italian! ;)

Viva will provide apartment and food? That looks great. And not just for the summer? I was there last Summer
and I noticed employees would eat after the buffet was closed to the customers staying there. That was nice to see.
Food was good BTW. Does Viva provide the apartment and where is it located?

May 29, 2006
Romana has its points, but it's too much city for me. It's nice that they have an IKEA next to the La Sirena.

giuliap

Jan 8, 2016
yes Giuliap , I know La Romana very well , I once lived close by and now go there regularly to play golf and tennis and visit .
Buena Vista Norte is the best of the La Romana barrios ..it is east of Rio Dulce whereas 95 % is west . It has no colmados nor supermercados so you have to cross the river to shop. It is affluent but attracts many petty thieves . You will be battling to find a 2 bedroom apartment for 10,000 pesos monthly...but there are many apartment buildings there.
La Romana is a bit more expensive than the capital and electricity blackouts are common ..A good cheap supermercado is Iberia but it is 150 pesos on a moto concho from BV Norte to Iberia.
You are correct Villa Hermosa and El Mulo are not safe day or night but if you keep east of Avenida Santa Rosa during the day and keep your wallet hidden it is safe walking at day time . The police in La Romana are, at present, very corrupt , and have a poor reputation.
The only tourism jobs are at Bayahibe or in Casa de Campo ..the latter pay very poorly but have a few side benefits relating to health care ..There are many gua guas from near the Rio Dulce to Bayahibe every hour .I doubt if you will find a job for $1000 in la Rmana pueblo in tourism .
There is quite a large Italian population living in la Romana pueblo ..there are several Italian restaurants ...Many Italians live part year in Casa de Campo.
Blending in with the locals ...I would be very doubtful if you could do this.. you can start with the churches, basball teams , other italians...but I have found out that the people from La Romana who have been to school together or in the same church tend to stick together . I would not like to come to La Romana, solo, looking to meet friends. Of course, if you are solo , you can try the discos but you need to know the rules of behaviour .
My very strong advice would be to accept the offer from Viva Dominicus ...buena suerte

Thanks a lot for your kindness and useful information. And of course, my plan is to accept the offer for this summer in order to start to see how the situation is and then decide whether I'll move or not.

Igual para usted y gracias de nuevo!

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Live in Buena Vista before moving elsewhere. It is nice (we would have stayed, except when my dog needs more of a yard than we had), safe, our neighbors were all good people with families, etc. There is a colmado, just north of the church, there is a also Luca, which is a great Italian place. Punta Italia is a standard Friday/Saturday place for us as well. The owners and their kids are always there. There are many Italians in Dominicus, so you will feel welcome. Welcome and enjoy it!

giuliap

Jan 8, 2016
Live in Buena Vista before moving elsewhere. It is nice (we would have stayed, except when my dog needs more of a yard than we had), safe, our neighbors were all good people with families, etc. There is a colmado, just north of the church, there is a also Luca, which is a great Italian place. Punta Italia is a standard Friday/Saturday place for us as well. The owners and their kids are always there. There are many Italians in Dominicus, so you will feel welcome. Welcome and enjoy it!

Thanks a lot! What about rent prices in Buena Vista?
Gracias de nuevo y que tenga un buen d?a! :)