Nagua to Higuey

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone
Is it possible to go from Nagua to Higuey by car?
Whats the best way?
How are the roads?
:)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
What do you mean by alternative road ? The one in grey ?

So does it mean we must go through santo domingo ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Check the Google map. The route in blue is the recommended one. By alternative I refer to the route in grey color (211km 3 h 32).

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Yes Ive seen it but that means going down to SD

Wouldnt it be easier to do the whole trip by bus then (from Sosua) ?

What do you think?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I don't know. I don't do Bus trips. Maybe others can chime in. But I am pretty sure that the busses from Sosua go via Santo Domingo too. There is no other route for them.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You wouldn't go THROUGH Santo Domingo but you do have to go down towards it then east towards Higuey. It's a long drive but Parque Los Haitises is very nice and in general the road is in very good condition. Would recommend doing it during the day though.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yes Ive seen it but that means going down to SD

Wouldnt it be easier to do the whole trip by bus then (from Sosua) ?

What do you think?

Going from Nagua to Sosua and then by bus would at least double your distance since the bus would take you thru the tunnel, and Navarette, Santiago etc.. From Nagua just drop south into SD and then east to your destination.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is very simple just follow the blue route on the map...that is the toll road and is in very good condition and you do NOT go through Santo Domingo ,just a very outer suburb.The toll road ends on Las Americas 6 lane highway about 5 miles from the Las Americas airport and then you simply go through the peaje and follow the highway all the way to the turn off to Higuey. It is a great road all the way .

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
https://www.google.com.do/maps/dir/...ba6440788dcaac!2m2!1d-68.7140197!2d18.6149835

I recommend not to use the alternative route unless you have a 4x4. I went this route from Higuey to Samana. You have to cross a river and generally the road is in a bad condition. Dirt road mostly between Bayaguana and Hato Mayor. Partial construction going on.

The blue route is indeed better from a transportation PoV, since it is mostly new road or highway. I am surprised the Bayaguana-Hato Mayor road is in such a bad shape, even requiring crossing a river (was a bridge taken down by a storm/flood?).

The Hato Mayor-Higuey road used to be part of the main link between SD and the East. Last I used it (a year or two ago) it was usable with occasional bad spots (although nowhere near the quality of the SD-PUJ highway by the coast). The only advantage of this route is that it is more scenic, with a mountain range to its North, and the towns are less developed (more "authentic"?), which may be an advantage for some. If the Hato Mayor Bayaguana road is as bad as described, one could go San Pedro -- Hato Mayor-Higuey. But this only makes sense for sightseeing/exploring purpose. There is no real advantage from a transportation point of view. Some might want to make the trip through alternate routes just to explore.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The Hato Mayor to Higuey has NEVER been the main link to the east and it has been in bad condition from Hato Mayor westwards for many years. the various culverts and streams have had work in progress for many years ..you must have been driving in your dreams .The road from San Pedro to Hato Mayor is also in very poor condition at the Hato Mayor end and there have been protests against its condition . What little towns are you talking about between Hato Mayor and Higuey .??

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The Hato Mayor to Higuey has NEVER been the main link to the east and it has been in bad condition from Hato Mayor westwards for many years. the various culverts and streams have had work in progress for many years ..you must have been driving in your dreams .The road from San Pedro to Hato Mayor is also in very poor condition at the Hato Mayor end and there have been protests against its condition . What little towns are you talking about between Hato Mayor and Higuey .??

Perhaps not since you came to the DR.
The Hato Mayor - Higuey road was (and still is) part of the Mella road, which was the second arterial road in the Dominican system linking the capital with the main regions (the Duarte road to Santiago being first).
For many decades, a typical Higuey-SD trip would go through El Seibo and Hato Mayor. Depending on road conditions, one could also go through Romana and San Pedro by turning South a few kilometers before reaching El Seibo from Higuey, but this wasn't the main road. The main road was Mella. Today the towns along the Mella road (El Seibo and Hato Mayor) are less developed than the coastal towns of San pedro and Romana, as well as Higuey (not coastal but the main town near Punta Cana).
The condition of the Mella road was as I described, when I last used it a year or 2 ago. I have no idea how it is today.

May 29, 2006
From Sosua by bus, you're best off going through Santiago and Santo Domingo. I've done Hig?ey to Sosua in both route. It looks shorter by the "direct" route but it's much easier faster through Santiago. The only tricky part is you need to take a 200 peso cab in SD to change bus stations, but it's a quick hop. Figure nine to ten hours. The buses the Santiago route are much nicer too, esp the if you are tall. By car, going east from Sosua is prob better then from Nagua to Boca Chica.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Perhaps not since you came to the DR.
The Hato Mayor - Higuey road was (and still is) part of the Mella road, which was the second arterial road in the Dominican system linking the capital with the main regions (the Duarte road to Santiago being first).
For many decades, a typical Higuey-SD trip would go through El Seibo and Hato Mayor. Depending on road conditions, one could also go through Romana and San Pedro by turning South a few kilometers before reaching El Seibo from Higuey, but this wasn't the main road. The main road was Mella. Today the towns along the Mella road (El Seibo and Hato Mayor) are less developed than the coastal towns of San pedro and Romana, as well as Higuey (not coastal but the main town near Punta Cana).
The condition of the Mella road was as I described, when I last used it a year or 2 ago. I have no idea how it is today.

S?, as? es. Years ago, all traffic SD-Hig?ey went through El Seibo and Hato Mayor. Now we call it 'La carretera vieja.'

May 29, 2006
Are you heading down for the festival at the Basillica? I hear over a half million ppl will be in town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sosua - go east along Rt #5.... to nagua

At the big Hospital, get left.....

You will come to the toll road..... south to the airport (NOT St Dom proper)

From there you use Las Americas (?) hwy east again towards your destination.

All quite good roads.... cruise control for most of it

Toll road is about 500 pesos each way .........

Sosua to toll road is about 2 hrs
Toll road is an hour

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Sosua - go east along Rt #5.... to nagua

At the big Hospital, get left.....

You will come to the toll road..... south to the airport (NOT St Dom proper)

From there you use Las Americas (?) hwy east again towards your destination.

All quite good roads.... cruise control for most of it

Toll road is about 500 pesos each way .........

Sosua to toll road is about 2 hrs
Toll road is an hour

BUt he is starting in Nagua!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No :) I live in Sosua
So I would live from Sosua
:)

Why are you asking about Nagua if you are leaving from Sosua? Am I missing something? You have to access the Samana/Santo Domingo on the other side of Nagua, but the road entrance is closer to El Catey. Take the highway south. It is referred to as Rt. 7. This is a toll road and with cost you around $600 pesos. A bus from Puerta Plata might be easier but driving is not difficult. Good luck and good travels.