Bad accidents!!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have stated loudly several times that I ain't seen no bad accidents in this country, but last night I didn't actually see it, but was awakened at right at midnight with a loud crash, my sleep sodden brain decided it was a tin roof falling, don't know why, so I tried to go back to sleep, but soon heard voices in the street and looked out the window and there was a car sitting in the street and a motorcycle on its side. Milady got dressed and went down to the street. The police came in about 20 minutes and took the motorcycle kid to the hospital. It is reported to us that the car that hit the bike kept on going, and the one I saw sitting there was someone who stopped to call the police. The news this AM from the neighbors is that it was a 22 year old daddy with a 3 year year old daughter. So Der Fish won't be saying no more that he hain't seen no bad accidents in this country. Today there is a puddle of dried blood in the mud beside the street where the bike was last night

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I have stated loudly several times that I ain't seen no bad accidents in this country, but last night I didn't actually see it, but was awakened at right at midnight with a loud crash, my sleep sodden brain decided it was a tin roof falling, don't know why, so I tried to go back to sleep, but soon heard voices in the street and looked out the window and there was a car sitting in the street and a motorcycle on its side. Milady got dressed and went down to the street. The police came in about 20 minutes and took the motorcycle kid to the hospital. It is reported to us that the car that hit the bike kept on going, and the one I saw sitting there was someone who stopped to call the police. The news this AM from the neighbors is that it was a 22 year old daddy with a 3 year year old daughter. So Der Fish won't be saying no more that he hain't seen no bad accidents in this country. Today there is a puddle of dried blood in the mud beside the street where the bike was last night

If the guy who stopped to report the accident was a gringo he would be in jail now.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In 8 years I have seen about 15 serious injury accidents. I hope most people have your luck and see very few. There not pretty

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=491162

You go to jail if you are the cause of a bad accident resulting serious injury or death from now on states Dominguez Brito.

Don't drink and drive and make sure your vehicle is in good order and your license and insurance is good are issues mentioned. Visitors perhaps should take careful note of the driving limitations using a foreign license and the effect on insurance should one be involved in such and accident.

Looks like the recent bad accident near Sanchez has touched a raw nerve, and so it should have but far too late. But when is the education and proper driving training going to begin to compliment this policy???

I think AMET along with MOPC are really trying to get their act together on the roads and the additional numbers of AMET agents recently mentioned should help the effort. I have always found AMET agents more professional........much more so than the PN in their military dress.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The single greatest factor in contributing to accidents is the poor driving ability and poor technique of the Dominican drivers. Putting bad drivers in jail would have more drivers in jail than on the road.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The single greatest factor in contributing to accidents is the poor driving ability and poor technique of the Dominican drivers. Putting bad drivers in jail would have more drivers in jail than on the road.
According to stats from the Health Ministry, 80% of moto accidents happen at night, and of those 80% are alcohol related. The Ministry is of the opinion the problem rests more with the motorcyclists than with the cage drivers.

I can clearly state that there is a movement within the gubmint to mitigate motorcycle accidents through an educational process. This process is a 10-year plan.

Think Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" but for motorcyclists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
According to stats from the Health Ministry, 80% of moto accidents happen at night, and of those 80% are alcohol related. The Ministry is of the opinion the problem rests more with the motorcyclists than with the cage drivers.

I can clearly state that there is a movement within the gubmint to mitigate motorcycle accidents through an educational process. This process is a 10-year plan.

Think Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" but for motorcyclists.

I suspect it will take more like 100 years.

There was talk at one time of completely banning motoconchos. Is that also being discussed? That way 64% of the accidents could be eliminated in one week. ( I know, not every accident is by a drunk moto concho driver with passengers at night.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I suspect it will take more like 100 years.

There was talk at one time of completely banning motoconchos. Is that also being discussed? That way 64% of the accidents could be eliminated in one week. ( I know, not every accident is by a drunk moto concho driver with passengers at night.)
In 100 years, the skies will be flooded with hoverconchos...:cheeky:

Motorcycles aren't going away. Like cell phones did for communications, motorcycles have made Dominicans geographically mobile and have created economic growth. The problem is the bureaucracies weren't able to proactively predict or implement policies that coincide with the growth of motorcycles. This should come as no surprise.

It will be far easier educating motorcyclists than breaking any of the transportation unions, including motoconchos. There will be a combination of education, carrots and very large sticks involved.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I have lived here since 2007 and have seen a number of very bad accidents. Maybe due to the fact I have driven the entire country many times and for 2 years drove from the capital to las salinas before the freeway was completed.

Aug 6, 2006
The chief entertainment in Barahona is having a Presidente sitting along the Malec?n and watching the local bikerss attempt wheelies.
Upon some reflection, I have concluded that the successfulness of such wheelies is inversely related to the number of riders.
Three person wheelies are always unsuccessful, while one person wheelies are most successful.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Moto accidents would be drastically reduced if AMET worked at night and impounded bikes without both lights working.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Moto accidents would be drastically reduced if AMET worked at night and impounded bikes without both lights working.

The Attorney General was not specifically talking about bikes:

DR1 News today....

No more bail for speeding and drunk driving
Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito said he has instructed prosecutors to request pre-trial custody for those caught violating Traffic Law 241-67.
During a press conference in the presence of the Supreme Court of Justice president Mariano German, Dominguez said that they have agreed on these more drastic measures in the cases also in the cases of motorists who are found to be driving under the influence or speeding. Likewise, if the vehicle is not insured, prosecutors may no longer request pre-trial custody for the offender.
An editorial in Diario Libre says that the government just needs to enforce compliance with Traffic Law 241-67. The law already calls for jail sentences of 2-5 years for those driving under the influence and without insurance. The editorialist asks: “Do the judges comply with the law?”
The editorial also observes: “How is it possible that alcoholic beverages are sold at gas stations? That it is allowed to drink and drive? Where are the breath testers?”
http://www.noticiassin.com/2016/08/p...taran-prision/
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...o-de-velocidad
http://elnacional.com.do/allanan-en-...ptadas-higuey/
http://www.diariolibre.com/opinion/a...-ley-CD4566631

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am amazed that there are not a lot more accidents in the D.R. ...the total stupidity of the majority of drivers and their total disregard for normal driving etiquette
they must think that the indicators are only for the xmas season...that red lights are for low flying helicopters and why would anyone back down from arguing with a 40ft truck barreling towards you
let alone seeing babies being carried along with the family groceries on the back of a motorbike

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am amazed that there are not a lot more accidents in the D.R. ...the total stupidity of the majority of drivers and their total disregard for normal driving etiquette
they must think that the indicators are only for the xmas season...that red lights are for low flying helicopters and why would anyone back down from arguing with a 40ft truck barreling towards you
let alone seeing babies being carried along with the family groceries on the back of a motorbike
But if you know it's there and expect it, such factors are easily dealt with safely.

"Expect the unexpected."

What you see here IS "proper driving etiquette"...Dominican Style.

When I go back to the states getting around is so....boring...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Seen lots of bad wrecks. I have DR driving wired. Dark tinted windows, a big car or truck. 4 wheel drive is nice so you have the extra weight and extra front axle for head ons. Lastly and most importantly a Dominican to do the driving. In my case it's the wife so that part is free. A large bench seat is nice for times when the wife is contrary and refuses to drive.
It's very important that following any and all accidents a Dominican person is behind the wheel. Of course car is in her name alone. Save a fortune as you can buy really cheap insurance. If you drive a lot in the DR you will be in accidents no matter how great and defensive a driver you might be
People will just flat out crash into you. Do not drive at night if there is any way to avoid it. Many drivers are drunk. Good luck. No point in saying drivesafe.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sure a lot of Dominicans are poor drivers. We know and accept that. What gets me are the gringos who have adopted many of the same bad driving habits. Yeah, one must adjust your driving habits to the flow of traffic and the expectations of other drivers in this country but there is no excuse for running red lights, vehicle lights that don't work, passing on blind corners, passing too close to cyclists and motos, yacking away on the cell phone, the stupid things that we all know you shouldn't do