Access to Playa Libre in Sosua

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Does anybody know if there is public access to the beach in front of Infiniti Blue and Hispaniola in Sosua that is named Playa Libre? I can't seem to find any beach access so unless somebody know a way of getting there that does not entail going through the developments then please let me know....and please do not post the obvious of accessing it by the ocean!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Never heard of Libre in that area. But that doesn't mean anything.

I do know that the section in front of Hispaniola used to be called General Imbert Beach, or General Beach. I think the land was given to General Imbert after his role in the hit on Trujjillo.

It's now referred to by some as Hispaniola Beach. Funny how that works.

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I know where he means.. it is the Beach by the Generals House which always had an Armed Guard standing watch ,, there used to be access at the Coco Hotel , but not any more..
the property has been sold, Hispaniola purchased it all last I heard.. Yes it was a very nice beach, almost totally private. good times there.. Dom locals and Hotel guests would use it also. but it is no longer available to the Public at all, from what I hear.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Yes, some still call it Playa Imbert , some call it Hispaniola Beach and others call it Playa Libre....and it seems impossible to access it now via any form of public access which is a shame because it is a spectacular beach and great for snorkeling too.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
In theory, aren't all beaches in the country public? In theory.

I used to love that beach back in the day. And always with the little frisson of walking past the armed guards.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
As always, money trumps law.

Maybe, but maybe not. Hispaniola Beach is bordered by rock outcrops on both ends. It was just a great place to buy and develop. Mother Nature made it private.

14195663.jpg

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Maybe, but maybe not. Hispaniola Beach is bordered by rock outcrops on both ends. It was just a great place to buy and develop. Mother Nature made it private.

14195663.jpg

It was made private when they blocked access from Coco hotel.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Across land owned by Hispaniola or at the 60 meter setback? If it was across private land, than they have the right to deny access.

I am not sure but they effectively bought up the land and closed access to the beach. Thus my statement, money trumps law. Whether one thinks that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion. I used to visit that beach often.

Tricky

May 29, 2012
Does anybody know if there is public access to the beach in front of Infiniti Blue and Hispaniola in Sosua that is named Playa Libre? I can't seem to find any beach access so unless somebody know a way of getting there that does not entail going through the developments then please let me know....and please do not post the obvious of accessing it by the ocean!!

Yes you can (if it is the beach I am thinking of).
I cannot remember the names of the buildings but beside Casa Marina, you go down the street that has Spanky's bar on it.Go to the bottom of that street. Across the street, the entrance is slightly to your right. I believe there is a sign that says Public Beach (might be in Spanish). It is a little difficult to find.
As you go down the path (with buildings on either side ... Casa Marina of one side and a Condo building on the other) you may think that you are on private property but I have never been stopped (and it does say public beach), you will come to the small Casa Marina beach on your left. If you continue straight along the rocks, however, and then bear right you will be on Playa Imbert. i have been there many times with no problem.
I hope this helps.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Across land owned by Hispaniola or at the 60 meter setback? If it was across private land, than they have the right to deny access.

You had to go through on this little Path , through some thick stuff,, thats surely now the land owned by Hispaniola..
it was a little walk, I would say at least a hundred fifty ? yards to the beach.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Closing beaches to the public is a rotten thing to do and should be illegal in any civilized country. For example, in Hawaii, all beaches have public access. You will see entire families walking through fancy hotel lobbies to go to the beach. No one should ever be allowed to prevent ocean access. No one owns the ocean. My two cents.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Cuba libre yes. Playa libre no.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Closing beaches to the public is a rotten thing to do and should be illegal in any civilized country. For example, in Hawaii, all beaches have public access. You will see entire families walking through fancy hotel lobbies to go to the beach. No one should ever be allowed to prevent ocean access. No one owns the ocean. My two cents.

In many countries, money comes first, people come second. This is the case with this and other islands in the Caribbean.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Next time you are in SD go to Boca Chica. Note the locals and Haitianos selling everything from T-Shirts to Condoms and sex,
and bothering the people trying to relax and swim. It's disgusting.
I don't blame the hotels or the municipality for restricting Playa Libre.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Next time you are in SD go to Boca Chica. Note the locals and Haitianos selling everything from T-Shirts to Condoms and sex,
and bothering the people trying to relax and swim. It's disgusting.
I don't blame the hotels or the municipality for restricting Playa Libre.

no offense, but what are you talking about ?

This is/ was a SECLUDED BEACH, no direct road access, just a path.. or from the water.. the property will be developed
( jungle like trees etc torn down)..
Not every Beach in the DR is like Boca Chica, sosua, or Cabarete.. with Vendors hounding you every moment. there were never more than half a dozen people on this beach at one time..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

In Massachusetts (only citing this example because I know it, being from there originally), on all of Cape Cod and Nantucket and the Vineyard, it's all public. There may be certain areas that you have to hotfoot it through, but that's the deal. Access to ocean is for everybody!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I just don't see the big deal. There are plenty of beaches to go to. How many posts are there here about how quaint Playa Sosua is?

You drop a pile of money on a piece of property to develop it, to turn a profit for you and shareholders/family, you don't really want people traipsing down some dark path going to the beach. Why have a wall and security guards in the first place? You can't compare giving access thru a property in the DR to access thru a property in the States. In the DR you'll have some goof coming down that path, crawling in the window of a 400k condo to steal their loose change.

Put yourself in their shoes, you wouldn't like being forced to give access thru your own property at all hours of the day and night.

If you want to walk down the coastline and frolic on Playa Imbert, have at it. Don't want to climb over the rocks to get there? Try Playa Sosua - easy access.