Old Rock Stars

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Now I see that Rod Stewart is going on tour with a stop in the DR. What is sadder? Tired, old rock stars that still insist on shaking their saggy butts on stage or the people who pay to see them?
I could just picture it now. Criss Colon jumping to his feet and swaying his bootie at the first few bars of "Do you think I'm Sexy"!

I wish the following would just retire with the little dignity they have left.

Rod Stewart
Cher(we all know that Sonny was the brains)
The Rolling Stones
Tina Turner(She hasn't done anything worthwhile since Ike
Stopped Beating her)
Eric Clapton(what happened dude?)
Jimmy Buffet(Can somebody say "Sell out"?)
Aerosmith
Ozzie Osbourn
Motley Crue
Van Halen(Bring back David Lee Roth)
Billy Joel
Sting
Paul McCartney(That toupe is so sad)
Fleetwood Mac
Elton John
Phil Collins(Su..Su..Suck)
Peter Gabrielle
Black Sabbath

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If you want my body,and you think I,m Sexy Cmon

"Right on Tony "C"! I was Front Row at the "Taj" 2 years ago to a "SOLD-OUT" Rod Stewart ! Tickets were "Compted",but got offered $400 each for our 3 tickets.Turned the offer down! 2 1/2 hours of #1 Hits! I defy anyone who "grew-up" in the "70,s" and "80,s" not to feel it at a Rod Stewart show.He "looks"30!He,s still making "millions" so.............. must still be a few old "Rockers" out there! "Tonights The Night!" Criss Colon

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry,

I think the folks you named are still some of the greatest alive, with the exception of maybe Cher and Ozzie. Tina has made her best music after leaving Ike. Clapton just keeps getting better, Rod Stewart who I used to hate is now one of my favourites.

May be old fashioned but they are still among the Greats...

The main thing is that they have staying power...very few of todays questionable musicians will fade into the netherworld. They lack the true talent that it takes to stick. What's amazing is that the ones with the staying power today are the country crossovers. Definately not the rappers, hip hop, and boy bands.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rock Stars

Most of these rock stars play music that originates from "The Blues" who's founders were old men who sat on porches strumming guitars and singing. So I say the older the better.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Dignity

You almost had me until I read your list. How can you put some of these bands in the same list is beyond me!

I do get the shivers thinking of Rod Stewart shakin his leather-equipped ass-ets for Criss Colon, however...

marc

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You list needs a little tweaking. I went to see the Rolling Stones a few years back and they rocked! One of the best concerts I have ever attended.

Many on your list are still putting out good music.
They may grow old but they will never die.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Old Rock Stars, Rock

I'll take some of the Old Rock Stars anytime over the likes that come out of a can nowadays. Saw Tina during her final concert tour, had the Fleet Center rocking so much, the bricks from the old Boston Garden were cracking in a landfill miles away. She is *****, a fine bottle of wine, she has staying power and the energy of an sixteen year old. Not bad for a broad in her early sixties. Regards PJT

SteamySteve

Jan 28, 2002
Tony C......

Jimmy Buffett a sellout????? I wouldnt call him a sellout...more like a marketing guru. The guy has put his logo or name on just about everything u can think of and has been very succesful! Not to mention the numerous MC's open(2 more set this year....with one even in Jamacia) Have u ever even been to a Buffett concert??? Its not really all about the music.....its more a state of mind and its definetly one hell of a party!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Criss, El jefe, Marc, Robert, PJT.

I had to suffer through the music of the 70's If it wasn't for the Ramones, Sex Pistols, the Clash, The Fabulous Poodles and George Thorogood I probobly would be in Jail right now for killing a DJ.
Rod Stewart hasn't done anything worth a damn since he left Faces. I saw him live on TV a few months ago. He looks like keith Richards sick older brother. Did you see him on South Park? "PooP Pants!" Tina turner is just a ugly old hag in a fright wig who steals other peoples songs. and the Stones have been living off their overrated reputation for years. Clapton has turned to mush. "Tears in Heaven"? If I hear that song again I just might have to kill myself! Maybe if he started shooting heroin again he could bring back the magic.
I forgot one other band from the 70's! Luckily they haven't reunited to punish us with a tour. BOSTON! The perefct example of why music sucked in the 70's!!! Well that and Disco!
As for bands today not having Staying power how about Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day. How about Prince? A musical legend!

As for Buffet... I have been to over 15 Buffet concerts going back to 1976, when he use to open for the Eagles(another band I forgot to add to my list). I have no complaints about his marketing ability but he is just phoneing in his concerts. I stopped going to his shows 5 years ago when he refused to come out for a encore

Drake... If you want to talk Blues talk to me about Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, or Robert Cray!

Ok so I added....
Boston
The Eagles
Don't forget.....
Peter Frampton.
Kansas
Molly Hatchet
And every Disco Band that ever lived!

Anybody care to add to the list?

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
the Ramones, Sex Pistols, the Clash, The Fabulous Poodles and George Thorogood ...never cared for them...are they still doing anything?

If you want to talk Blues talk to me about Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, or Robert Cray...you do have some taste. Robert Cray's Sweet potato Pie is one of my favourites.

Prince...can't figure her/him/it out...puts out a few really good songs then turns to garbage to stay alive.

Speaking of staying alive, how bout them BeeGees, everytime you think you're rid of them they pop up with a new hit. Saw them once in the basement of a church in Evansville IN after their first time on top. Never expected them to come back.

Tina, an ugly Hag??? Hope your girlfiend looks that good at her age!!

Won't argue about Buffett, never was big with me.

Pearl Jam, GreenDay, et al...WERE favourites of my son till he developed taste.

Yeah, I know, I'm an old fogie but I do have taste, I like music, not noise.

Still Amazed

Jan 29, 2002
Rod Stewart...i guess there are still a few people out there who get off on the the man and the show...
Packed houses around the world tell you something and not all are old foggy's with memories. Just might be worth a few pesos to see in a great venue...See you there

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What the heck am I doing here?

The 70's :) aaaaahhhh, those were the days.

Not that I actually "lived" in the 70's. When I found out what year it was the 70's were almost over. But that bring back some memories, yellowish pictures of a gap-toothed chubbish me wearing a flowered polyester suit. Gee... I feel I've been deprived of something. But I can still remember things, ABBA, Donna Summer... aaaaahhh. I want the 70's back, I want disco back, grant you those were the most ridiculous years in the history of humanity but were they funky! :rolleyes:

Well, back to the OP. I don't like Rod Stewart, never did, never will. But that doesn't have to do him being old. Some of the ones you mentioned are my favorites:

Cher: I don't like her much, but I still have "Life after love" stuck in my head.
Tina Turner What do you mean you don't like Tina What's love got to do with it? Turner? What's wrong with you?
Ozzie Osbourn: He is... amusing now.
Sting: Oh boy, don't mess with him either. Dessert rose... Him and Mami should get married. :D

I don't care much for the rest. BTW, who is Jimmy Buffet?

Last edited:

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry,
all of the above except Tina Turner
and the Rolling Stones I would categorize into
the "Music for Rednecks" bin.

How about: The Doors,Jimmy Hendricks,Beatles
Miles Davis,Santana,Lead Zeppelin,Pink Floyd??

Regards X.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To Tony C....off topic

I want to be man enough to admit that the personal attack I launched at you a few days back was totally uncalled for. I just hope it was just a "Temporary Lapse of Reason" (Pink Floyd...after Roger Waters left) on my part.

Gemini

Jan 5, 2002
I'm glad to see no one mentioned my hero The Boss Bruce Springsteen - how many performers put on a 3 hr show with no opening act......he's worth every cent and more, regardless of his age and how long he's been around!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
How about: The Doors,Jimmy Hendricks,Beatles
Miles Davis,Santana,Lead Zeppelin,Pink Floyd??

Regards X. [/B][/QUOTE]

The Doors Highly overrated
Jimmy Hendrix, Not a bad Guitar player
Beatles Everthing since is just a copy
Miles Davis Can't Get into jazz
Santana Plays great stuff then puts out crap
Like "Supernatural"
Lead Zeppelin Great band even if they did ripp-off
most of their from old blues men
Pink Floyd Never got Stonned enough

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
My List

Ladies and gentlemen, will you please retire!!!!

Michael Jackson and his entire family(add Liz Taylor for extra)
Neil Diamond
U-2
David Bowie
Julio Iglesias(Throw his two sons in for extra)
Juan Luis Guerra and his 440(add Sergio Vargas, Eddy Herrera)
Gloria Stefan(Throw Secada for extra)
Santana(donate his hat to the Taliban Relief Fund)
Everyone who participated in We Are the World and burn every CD in existence
Barbra Streissand
Pavarotti(I want a duet with Puff Daddy)

TW

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So long as people go to the concerts and buy the records why should anyone retire? I feel very fortunate to have lived from Beatle Mania right to going to a Poison concert last year with my daughter. Don't forget Bon Jovi, he's almost 40 and his butt is still as cute as his face. LOL.

Last edited: