Anger in Haiti over misspent aid, six years after the 2010 earthquake

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
It's six years since an earthquake devastated Haiti, and killed at least 200,000 people.
Player utilities

In the immediate aftermath, the world rallied and pledged enormous amounts of assistance and development aid. But in Haiti today there is anger about the promises that have fallen short.

The UN estimates that about $10 billion was pledged, and about half of that has been spent.

Much was well-spent, especially in the beginning, according to Brian Concannon, executive director of the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti. Concannon has worked in and for Haiti for more than 20 years.

?I think where the money worked was mostly in the emergency response,? says Concannon. ?There was a lot of very good medical treatment; the rubble was cleared; there were some food programs and other things that just kept people alive. It probably saved thousands of lives; perhaps tens of thousands and was very effective. And clearing the rubble allowed the city to move forward. So that part was fairly effective.?

?What hasn?t worked is the more sustainable initiatives,? says Concannon. ?The buzzword six years ago was ?build Haiti back better? and that simply didn?t happen.

?The harder things like building schools; helping the government provide basic services; improving the employment situation; those kinds of things didn?t work. I think a lot of the aid money was poorly spent. A disproportionate amount of it was spent on international experts, or headquarters back in Washington and other places. Not as much as should have gotten to the ground actually got to the ground."

But, Concannon says, what Haitians will really tell you was that the big problem was that they weren?t consulted.

"Much of the ?building back Haiti better? was done the same way that people always did business. It wasn?t well coordinated among the agencies. But more importantly it wasn?t well coordinated with the Haitian people. Everybody from top government officials down to poor people in the street complained that they weren?t consulted and they felt these programs were just being imposed on them without their participation.?

Concannon says the intentions of the agencies were good, and he recalls a donor conference in the immediate aftermath of the quake when everyone agreed that they need to do things differently, to consult the Haitian people and be sustainable. ?People said the right things over and over again.?

But the ideals were lost in the execution, according to Concannon.

Overall, Concannon gives the international response to the quake a grade of C.

?You certainly need to recognize what was done," he says. "You also need to recognize the great generosity and outpouring of support by ordinary citizens and governments. But I really think that we missed an opportunity to transform Haiti, and to transform the way that disaster responses are done.?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What a surprise that billions of dollars of aid many was wasted. Hardly ever happens does it?

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
What a surprise that billions of dollars of aid many was wasted. Hardly ever happens does it?

Bill and Hillerys Foundation is keeping the money safe. They will release it when they think Haiti is capable of using it wisely. That is maybe when Bill is the Suragate president of the United States. Hillery will save the world just ask her

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
hahaha 80 million here draws some interest??? a simple house doesnt cost but 2500$us to build...but no build houses they the people cant afford because of euro/us pressure...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There was reports a few years ago that about half the money pledged has vanished, unaccounted for, just, poof:confused:!!!!

It's really not at all surprising is it, one of the most corrupt and dysfunctional countries on the planet.

Where is the rest of the world to pressure those accountable, I suppose Haiti have nothing to offer in return for justice, and so will be brushed aside as always.

If Haiti were a dog you'd put it down. Constant suffering, and even when it does get a break it has that taken away. Shameful this was allowed to happen.

I reckon we can all remember where we were when it happened, and how our attention was so concentrated for so long, seems like a lot longer ago than it is.
Maybe because once the rescue teams had stopped coming to Santo Domingo to bring a little excitement to the city we were all able to just get on with our lives,
kind of forgot those over the border still trying to salvage theirs.

We took them in allowed them some kind of home base, and then just 5 years later sent them all back. Alot has happened to some of these people in those few years, life is very cruel.

Last edited:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
A friend of mine in Miss. builds prefab homes. His company sent 1000. 1 room prefab home to Haiti. They were free. The Gov. official at the port would not let them in till he paid a tax. Their free!. They just sat there. 6 years later he contacted the embassy and asked what happened to them. He was told they were burned. Took up too much space. You can't make this up.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A friend of mine in Miss. builds prefab homes. His company sent 1000. 1 room prefab home to Haiti. They were free. The Gov. official at the port would not let them in till he paid a tax. Their free!. They just sat there. 6 years later he contacted the embassy and asked what happened to them. He was told they were burned. Took up too much space. You can't make this up.

Stories like this should be out there, well, should have been out there a long time ago, could have made a difference.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I doubt it was as described. Obviously a foundation or international body could have paid the taxes/fees (a lot cheaper than building the houses).

Anyhow, there seem to have been significant communication/planning problems between the donor and other relevant actors. Matters like import taxes, transport costs, storage, distribution should have been worked out before the shipment was made.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but I doubt it was as described. Obviously a foundation or international body could have paid the taxes/fees (a lot cheaper than building the houses).

Anyhow, there seem to have been significant communication/planning problems between the donor and other relevant actors. Matters like import taxes, transport costs, storage, distribution should have been worked out before the shipment was made.

If you were in the country or involved during this period you would know that what you 'presume' is utter naivety.
We were trying to get rescue teams, doctors and professional helpers of some kind into the country from Santo Domingo. It was a circus. We had people arriving with no way into the Haiti expecting there to be some organization yet it was a free for all, and getting flown into Haiti would have been the easiest of issues,, yet it proved to be very very difficult, especially when the US Military got involved and closed down the airport to private aircraft..

The aftermath things got slightly clearer for those from the outside, yet more complex for those trying to hurdle the corruption issues, and the capitalists. Yes, everyone was on the make. And so it is absolutely viable that this happened, and many others similar also.

Can I ask where you were and what personal experience you had with the disaster as to how you derive your opinion on what would be likely to have occurred during this time?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Awhile ago, someone on the north coast had some tshirts made saying "Remember Where You Are". It struck a note with me, and over the years I've repeated those sage words to my husband when he's been close to exploding over something here. It does diffuse the situation

Seems to me it also applies to Haiti.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
'Remember where you are' is very appropriate for those considering applying foreign concepts to Hispanola, especially in times of disaster. Doomed on every level.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Can I ask where you were and what personal experience you had with the disaster as to how you derive your opinion on what would be likely to have occurred during this time?

For the very reasons you give, the donors should have held on to the shipment pending confirmation from the UN and/or appropriate bodies that all relevant aspects have been worked out.

Of course they meant well, but you cannot just send one-thousand houses into a disaster-stricken place and assume all logistic and bureaucratic issues will take care of themselves. Some coordination with people on the field would ultimately lead to the aid reaching those who needed (which apparently did not happen in this case).

I do not need to have been physically there to know the above. It is just common sense. And reading Clinton Cash (as I did) does provide a lot of relevant information.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
For the very reasons you give, the donors should have held on to the shipment pending confirmation from the UN and/or appropriate bodies that all relevant aspects have been worked out.

Of course they meant well, but you cannot just send one-thousand houses into a disaster-stricken place and assume all logistic and bureaucratic issues will take care of themselves. Some coordination with people on the field would ultimately lead to the aid reaching those who needed (which apparently did not happen in this case).

I do not need to have been physically there to know the above. It is just common sense. And reading Clinton Cash (as I did) does provide a lot of relevant information.

You do not seem to understand. If people were to wait for any form of organization then there would have been no help at all, they even now would probably be in a seriously worse state if relying on coordination and cooperation. People were just throwing help in that direction in the hope it got through. I can see how in an ideal world what you write might make sense, a bit like most of your contributions on here. You make your presumptions and opinions from a text book, but the realities are far from.

The reality of the homes sent is very much more likely that they were sold.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There were aid organizations that were aware the homes were there. No one would pay the port (Gov. Bribe).

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You do not seem to understand. If people were to wait for any form of organization then there would have been no help at all,

Well, I disagree. Sending houses is not like sending food and medicine (or cash).

You just cannot expect even pre-fab houses to be set up overnight. Lot of planning needs to go into that, even tents need that (water, sanitary issues, minimal security, etc). Of course debris may need to be clear, etc.

You cannot just send 1000 houses and let others worry about the rest.

If you want to provide immediate help with minimal planning, then look into sending stuff that can be easily distributed with little planning. Food and medicine come to mind. Of course, cash would be an option, if given to the right people.

The duty tax story is really not easily digestible. People have bosses. They can be fired (even in Haiti). The bosses can also get fired.

Clinton ("the UN") could even get a personal friend appointed as prime minister. Presumably they had an interest in getting credit for good things that occurred under their watch (especially if it cost them little or nothing).

Do you really believe that if BC (with his wife as the US SoS) really wanted the prefab houses to be let through duty free that he didn't have enough clout to get it done (in Haiti)?

Probably it's more complicated than that. It must be. I am sorry.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well quite obviously much has vanished, that is just a fact. And so I do not understand why you are stating an idea from your text book. If they can make the amount of money vanish that has do you really think making physical things vanish would be difficult.

Anyway, things were sent, people were expecting them, they didn't get through. That is just a fact and so makes void any ideas you have about how things should or would be done in an ideal situation. In a land so blatantly and unashamedly corrupt, if the powers that be want something they can bounce it around enough until they get it. Just a reality.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
That is just a fact and so makes void any ideas you have about how things should or would be done in an ideal situation. In a land so blatantly and unashamedly corrupt, if the powers that be want something they can bounce it around enough until they get it. Just a reality.

Did the donor ever directly approach the Clintons about this, that you know? If they were made aware and didn't bother to help, that would be worthy of inclusion in the book.