Huelgas on the North Coast

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There are rumors about public protests on the streets to complain about the dire conditions of the roads on the North Coast from Puerto Plata all the way to Nagua.

I don't have any exact dates, but these huelgas can be quite perilous to get through as these rent-a-mob types can escalate things and it can get ugly. Expect to see burning tyres and branches, broken glass and rocks placed in the road. People have been known to throw rocks at passing vehicles too.

As much as I sympathize with the protestors, it seems to be the only way to get the politicos to listen and actually do something about their grievances.

Let's hope something will be done.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Does anyone know any more about this? I am going from Cabarete to Las Americas airport this afternoon and was planning to use this route via Nagua. Thanks for any advice.

I suppose to be safe I'll go via Moca and through Santo Domingo, which is a pain, but at least I won't risk getting my wheels ripped off by the craters on that stretch approaching Nagua. The huelga guys have a good point - I just wish they weren't making it the day I am travelling!

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are rumors about public protests on the streets to complain about the dire conditions of the roads on the North Coast from Puerto Plata all the way to Nagua.

I don't have any exact dates, but these huelgas can be quite perilous to get through as these rent-a-mob types can escalate things and it can get ugly. Expect to see burning tyres and branches, broken glass and rocks placed in the road. People have been known to throw rocks at passing vehicles too.

As much as I sympathize with the protestors, it seems to be the only way to get the politicos to listen and actually do something about their grievances.

Let's hope something will be done.

If that is what it takes to get things done g for it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can tell you is that yesterday i drove from puerto plata to gregorio luperon airport and all was well. i did allow more travel time, thou, just in case. i did read about huelga yesterday morning so i was aware there may be some issues. i checked local sites just now and they are not reporting any problems, just general info about this huelga: http://noticiaspop.com.do/piden-la-reparacion-de-carretera-turistica-cabarete-nagua/
it looks like it may be mainly transport services more than anything else. leave 1 or 2 hours earlier if you are concern. it's better to wait at the airport a bit longer than to miss the flight. travel safely.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Having driven from Nagua to Puerto Plata several times in the last 2 months I think I might have to join the Huelga. Anyone know the requirements? bottle of Brugal and rocks to throw?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Having driven from Nagua to Puerto Plata several times in the last 2 months I think I might have to join the Huelga. Anyone know the requirements? bottle of Brugal and rocks to throw?

A few old tires to burn to help deteriorate the pavement further.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabrera Update

they are fixing the worst of the road here in Cabrera.
the part as you enter at Los Fallerones..... lower section.

As we type, the asphalt is going down.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If only they would repair the bad sections between Cabarete and Sosua. Getting worse every day.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Cabrera Update

they are fixing the worst of the road here in Cabrera.
the part as you enter at Los Fallerones..... lower section.

As we type, the asphalt is going down.

So happy about that! I wish they'd do in between Abreu and Playa Grande, too. Don't you think Aman/PG group should pay for some of it....3 years of all those heavy trucks?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I drove through the area on the 13th and there where no signs of any protesters anywhere. It was early so that could be why.

Dodos in paradise

Jan 5, 2016
until people around here learn how to drive all the tar in the world will not keep the ER'S from filling up.....first lesson for kindergarten kids....... slow the f*** down! or would you like to be walking on two legs when your 16?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Hmmm....sounds like a good business opportunity, I am going to start selling rocks on the side of the street!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NEWS FLASH

The road just west of Nagua is being paved..... NOW!!

along the ocean part of the drive.

Cabrera repairs continue.... on to the second side now..

Aug 21, 2007
The road between Sabaneta and Jamao is blocked as of today at dawn (Sunday.) I drove through 2 fires of burning tires and then reached a large downed tree across the road. The police were there sitting in the truck. A gringo went to the truck to ask if they were working on clearing the problem and the police pulled a gun on him. A Dominican told me that the fires and downed trees are all the way up the road. Needless to say, I turned around and went home.

I don't recommend that you try to go to Santiago via that route today.

Lindsey