Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Strange thing on the North Coast

  1. #21
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A defibrillator on site would be a big attraction........no?

  2. Likes Meemselle, Harleysrock liked this post
  3. #22
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bingo has been around in DR for many decades. There was a big bingo hall near the Mauna Loa Casino in SD back in the 70s-80s. Don't know if it's still there




    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  4. #23
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    Subsequent to that, the owners lack Customer service skills, they primarily cater to their buddies, everyone else, just hand over your cash...
    I don't see how that's different from a lot of other places in Sosua. When I first went there, I thought it was weird. The places I went I felt like a stray dog that wasn't really wanted around. I thought the Dominicans saw me as an opportunity at best and the expats saw me as a evil ugly American. If I had not had met cool people my second trip, I'd have never gone back.

  5. #24
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    Subsequent to that, the owners lack Customer service skills, they primarily cater to their buddies, everyone else, just hand over your cash...
    My point egg-zackly.

    The waitresses are very beautiful, however.

  6. Likes ctrob liked this post
  7. #25
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustxko View Post
    I don't see how that's different from a lot of other places in Sosua. When I first went there, I thought it was weird. The places I went I felt like a stray dog that wasn't really wanted around. I thought the Dominicans saw me as an opportunity at best and the expats saw me as a evil ugly American. If I had not had met cool people my second trip, I'd have never gone back.
    What you state is the biggest problem for tourism in this country. We get 'em in, but they don't come back. Jamaica, on the other hand, has a very high rate of return tourists.

  8. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
  9. #26
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Sad to hear bad press on the place. A good restaurant owner can be a great concierge and make the difference in tourists coming back to town. If you limit good service to your regs, the business can only go down.
    IMHO, he is not a great concierge.

    I also apologize for jacking the thread.

  10. #27
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ten years back, I was a barfly at Checkpoint. The Mizners were often the first expats the AI folks would meet and they made a huge effort to give good advice. And on one of my first trips, more than 15 years back, I tried to get a room a Rocky's but he was full. Marco drove me to another hotel and haggled to get me a room at the same rate as Rocky's. Lou at Shark Bar was great with the NYC crowd.

    Maybe it's not the chicas driving out tourists as much as the lack of good hosting. Maybe the lure of big money BINGO can bring them in?

  11. Likes Timotero, Derfish liked this post
  12. #28
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's easy to find a bingo hall. Just look for the nearest Catholic Church. The church has used bingo as a parish fund raiser for decades. I had a aunt who attended bingo more faithfully then she attended church. It was a chance to win a few bucks, socialize with her friends and escape the real world.

  13. #29
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Ten years back, I was a barfly at Checkpoint. The Mizners were often the first expats the AI folks would meet and they made a huge effort to give good advice. And on one of my first trips, more than 15 years back, I tried to get a room a Rocky's but he was full. Marco drove me to another hotel and haggled to get me a room at the same rate as Rocky's. Lou at Shark Bar was great with the NYC crowd.

    Maybe it's not the chicas driving out tourists as much as the lack of good hosting. Maybe the lure of big money BINGO can bring them in?
    All of the people above are and were great people that always treated people the way they would like to be treated.

    As for bingo I am in my 40's and love bingo. Call me a geezer and my 250lbs a$$ will be insulted.....

  14. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
  15. #30
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustxko View Post
    I don't see how that's different from a lot of other places in Sosua. When I first went there, I thought it was weird. The places I went I felt like a stray dog that wasn't really wanted around. I thought the Dominicans saw me as an opportunity at best and the expats saw me as a evil ugly American. If I had not had met cool people my second trip, I'd have never gone back.
    They still look at you the same way for sure.

    You just got used to it...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO