Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strange thing on the North Coast

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    Last week a few of us packed up and drove from the Bavaro area to the north coast for a few days. Overall the trip was great.
    The road from Nagua to Cabera could use a lot of work but the rest of the roads are in great shape.

We stayed at Hispanoial Residencial and the house we chose was nice but a little worn.
    We spent time in Cabarete, Sousa, Confesi, and Puerto Plata. All good.

The strangest thing I have ever seen in the DR happened in Sosua. We had lunch in the Brittanica restaurant and when we where leaving I noticed the restaurant next door, The Jolly Roger was full but it was very quiet. Kinda spooky quiet. As we approached I thought maybe a prayer moment for a friend or something similar. But as we got closer it was even scarier than I thought. They whole crowd was playing bingo.

Thats right bingo. And they all weren't 70 years old. Scary as hell. Some even looked like they were enjoying it!.
    If you go to that Bingo please, please do not drink the coolaid that is provided......

2. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    Because you'd be playing bingo how often?

i saw Andrea this afternoon & if you have Bingo-balls: play at MY house. Stop already.

You lookin to fire up a Bingo M? I'll be there!!

4. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    Subsequent to that, the owners lack Customer service skills, they primarily cater to their buddies, everyone else, just hand over your cash...
    edit post...

6. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Before the Jolly burnt down I was at Alberto's across the street having dinner and saw something that bothered me so much it is the sole reason I wont go there. There is a crippled guy in Sosua - many may know who I'm talking about - one of his leg is curled in, both of his arms curl in and he struggles to walk - his face is somewhat deformed and I think he has both a physical and mental handicap - he doesn't communicate very coherently. Yes he begs but he also is out in the street picking up tins and garbage for pesos - he does try to earn his keep. He passed there on this night and I think he was asking the people at the tables on the sidewalk for $ (very common) and a big dude that worked there at the time came out, grabbed him from behind, lifted him right of the ground and hurled him into the street. It was disgusting. After wards some other people (non Dominican) who I believe were management came out of the establishment like patting him on the back like what he did was great. The guy who got hurled is harmless and had they said get out of here he would have left

On another note - a couple friends of mine (who I would not call old) play bingo there all the time and one of my friends wins $$ quite often!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea that really happened.

9. Dislikes cjewell disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have zero reason to make up what I saw thx. 

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Yea that really happened.

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    You lookin to fire up a Bingo M? I'll be there!!
    SO NOT!

13. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

SO NOT!
    We redheaded Jew girls are looking to start a mah-jong thang.

15. Likes Polar Bear, GuillermoRamon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjewell View Post
    Before the Jolly burnt down I was at Alberto's across the street having dinner and saw something that bothered me so much it is the sole reason I wont go there. There is a crippled guy in Sosua - many may know who I'm talking about - one of his leg is curled in, both of his arms curl in and he struggles to walk - his face is somewhat deformed and I think he has both a physical and mental handicap - he doesn't communicate very coherently. Yes he begs but he also is out in the street picking up tins and garbage for pesos - he does try to earn his keep. He passed there on this night and I think he was asking the people at the tables on the sidewalk for $ (very common) and a big dude that worked there at the time came out, grabbed him from behind, lifted him right of the ground and hurled him into the street. It was disgusting. After wards some other people (non Dominican) who I believe were management came out of the establishment like patting him on the back like what he did was great. The guy who got hurled is harmless and had they said get out of here he would have left

On another note - a couple friends of mine (who I would not call old) play bingo there all the time and one of my friends wins $$ quite often!
    It was not a surprise to me when JR had its electrical malfunction,,,,,

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It was not a surprise to me when JR had its electrical malfunction,,,,,
    I'm not saying it was right. But you know the way the "electrical fires" go here.....either you're too successful & didn't BOHICA properly or .... whatever. Napkins were supposed to be blue that day.

JR is not my scene, but they do a fab biz & keep many happy. They also do great nonprofit work.

You won't see me there, but I respect what they do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345