Food definition

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I recently picked up, by mistake, from meat counter in Nacional "Chuleton prime Res". I know it is some kind
meat. Please let me know what this is. It looks like a steak but is it a good piece of meat? When I grabbed it I
thought it was a thick pork chop. Surprise to me . Thanks in advance for answer. Jeb

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I recently picked up, by mistake, from meat counter in Nacional "Chuleton prime Res". I know it is some kind
meat. Please let me know what this is. It looks like a steak but is it a good piece of meat? When I grabbed it I
thought it was a thick pork chop. Surprise to me . Thanks in advance for answer. Jeb

I am so glad I keep kosher at home. No surprises. I wish there were slightly more variety, but one's suitcases can only accommodate so much.....

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

One of my most favorite things from when I lived here (Sosua) thirty years ago was going to Colmado Betty, next to the Bomba. Trust me: there was no Playero. No Playerito. And one's best options for meat-based protein were of the canned variety. My darling Billy Callum and I picked up a can of Vienna Sausage. First ingredient? Bestia.

We quickly reverted to a pescado/vegetarian diet.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
T-bone steak?

Is that a definite answer? Quality...does anyone have a clue? It is not Angus because it does not state that on label..and no
one yet here seems give definite answer. We all know regular beef quality in DR not very good. So before I serve to guests I
would just like to have some idea of quality. Usually for beef we do ask for Angus but because I thought it was pork chops,
chuletas I did not ask. W. Webster stupid comment about sweetbreads was just that ... Stupid.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why don't you cook it, eat it and report back? enjoy the element of surprise.

ps just so you don't complain that no one can give you an answer to something that you could have googled yourself: rib steak.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Jeb, chuleta means chop, as in pork chop or lamb chop, but res means beef, so you have a beef chop. Whether sirloin or which I don't know, but it would not be anything but beef.
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is beef and it is probably "bad" in the sense that there is a 90%, no 95% chance on it being tough like shoe leather.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Jeb, chuleta means chop, as in pork chop or lamb chop, but res means beef, so you have a beef chop. Whether sirloin or which I don't know, but it would not be anything but beef.
Der Fish

��Thank you

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
It is beef and it is probably "bad" in the sense that there is a 90%, no 95% chance on it being tough like shoe leather.

I was sort of thinking exactly that. In my opinion if it does not say Angus in this country .... Shoe leather

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
why don't you cook it, eat it and report back? enjoy the element of surprise.

ps just so you don't complain that no one can give you an answer to something that you could have googled yourself: rib steak.

Not too hopeful

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What was the price per pound, that will tell you something about the quality......
For top quality imported beef here in Santiago, in the area of 550 DP per pound......

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Is that a definite answer? Quality...does anyone have a clue? It is not Angus because it does not state that on label..and no
one yet here seems give definite answer. We all know regular beef quality in DR not very good. So before I serve to guests I
would just like to have some idea of quality. Usually for beef we do ask for Angus but because I thought it was pork chops,
chuletas I did not ask. W. Webster stupid comment about sweetbreads was just that ... Stupid.

Regarding beef quality, the locally grown beef processed here is basically grass fed and not finished with silage or grain in a cramped up feed lot with thousands of other cows which is why it can be tough. Especially if you like your beef Medium or Well done. In reality, grass fed beef is much healthier and tastes better than the Angus beef processed in the states. The additives they put into the feed used for finishing a steer for market is full of chemicals and hormones.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Regarding beef quality, the locally grown beef processed here is basically grass fed and not finished with silage or grain in a cramped up feed lot with thousands of other cows which is why it can be tough. Especially if you like your beef Medium or Well done. In reality, grass fed beef is much healthier and tastes better than the Angus beef processed in the states. The additives they put into the feed used for finishing a steer for market is full of chemicals and hormones.

Hi. Thanks for your answer. While I am certainly no "beef expert" I do know certain things about beef ... Namely I know what
tastes better..aged beef. Angus. Beef that I have attempted to eat in this country "grass fed beef"? is truly pathetic. I do not
really do not understand (unless you have never eaten an aged piece of beef) how you made the statement posted that ....
"Tastes better than Angus. ". Whether the brand is Angus or otherwise, quality (that is the key word) prime beef in order to
taste good to most consumers needs to be aged. In this country that concept is not understood. A Prime or Choice cut beef is
what my original posting alluded to. The "res" that I unfortunately picked up which had word prime stuck on label. It was not.
Usually I have butcher area in Nacional cut for me or ask from them for Angus which they do. This time I was in hurry and
grabbed from the shelf what at the time as I mentioned thought was chuletas of cerdo.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Aged just means that it has started the rotting process ( little crude but true), as the enzymes break down the meat it becomes tender. The whole idea of a feed lot is to fatten up the cows and give marbling(fat) to the meat. Corn is used a lot but where I grew up and on our cows my dad used dry organic oats and they were penned up but not in stocks or tight enclosures. I personally like grass fed beef and have had decent Dominican beef although most is very tough.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi. Thanks for your answer. While I am certainly no "beef expert" I do know certain things about beef ... Namely I know what
tastes better..aged beef. Angus. Beef that I have attempted to eat in this country "grass fed beef"? is truly pathetic. I do not
really do not understand (unless you have never eaten an aged piece of beef) how you made the statement posted that ....
"Tastes better than Angus. ". Whether the brand is Angus or otherwise, quality (that is the key word) prime beef in order to
taste good to most consumers needs to be aged. In this country that concept is not understood. A Prime or Choice cut beef is
what my original posting alluded to. The "res" that I unfortunately picked up which had word prime stuck on label. It was not.
Usually I have butcher area in Nacional cut for me or ask from them for Angus which they do. This time I was in hurry and
grabbed from the shelf what at the time as I mentioned thought was chuletas of cerdo.

Not being an expert myself But why don't you leave it out of the refrigerator on the kitchen counter still in its plastic wrap and let it age for a week or so before cooking it if you like it aged. Secondly what chance do you think there is that your butcher actually has a piece of meat in the back which is from an Angus cow? I doubt it!
Der Fish

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Agree with previous posters, that if it had a bone, it is probably a T-bone, or prime rib. But "pime"? In the DR? Right. Prime is the USDA grade assigned to the highest cut of meat. Note that I said USDA.