Dominican Professionals that live "their" country...

FMPENA

Jan 24, 2002
Dominican Professionals that leave "their" country...

Hi I probably am just like you who is reading this sentence, well educated, computer literate, and most important of all, knows a second language, but even though you have all these advantages, when you try to get a decent paying job in the Dom. Rep., you can't seem to get a decent living salary. Based on my experience, when I graduated from the PUCMM, in Santiago class of '97, I tried to get a decent paying job that would allow me to live like I live the USA, but I could not find it, instead all I found were jobs that in most cases with a high school diploma would have been just fine. So what I did was, since I was born in the USA and knew english, I decided to find a job their. I did get a job as a Manager Trainee and started making a decent amount of money, and then was offered a Management job in the Dom. Rep. with PriceSmart, but that was one of my biggest mistakes, because the 80hrs+ a week was just unhuman, so I thought since I have all these mangement, computer, and people skills, I could probably get another fine job that was as well paid as the one I had, but what no body reading this is going to believe is that from a almost RD $30k a month job I got offers as low as RD $12k a month, with this frustation and humiliation I decided to once more go back to USA and seek employment which thank God I have found a very decent paying job.
But even though I am curently in the USA, I still hope that I can find a nice job opportunity to go back and work their in Santiago where my soul stills lays...
If any body knows of a good job opportunity worth inquiering please let me know...

Last edited:

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
In currently looking for a full time position in DR and I've started to notice the same thing. Although I have my heart set in working in Santo Domingo, there's no way I am going to take less than what my education and experience is worth. Since I will be fresh out of college in May, I also have the added worries of having to pay for student loans...which a DR substardard salary won't allow me to pay. The best thing to do is to find an american company with a division in DR and see if you can get relocation. You'll get US pay and in many cases a company car and housing.

FMPENA

Jan 24, 2002
Reply to DRtechie

The company I was working was an american company but I guest that even with the qualifications that you may ahve, It is not as important as having a "Padrino" to get you inside a "good" company.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
salaries

This is one reason there is such an strong entrepreneurial spirit among many Dominicans.