Hotel Recommendation?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Looking for a hotel for one night for my husband and myself.
Have stayed in the past at the Jaquar and Courtyard using Priceline or Points.
Priceline has a 3* for $54 but not sure which hotel it is.
Thinking it might be fun to stay in the Colonial Zone.
Priority is safe area, clean, air conditioning, no cats.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I hadn't heard of the Jaguar hotel. Could you have meant the Jaragua?

In the Colonial Zone, The Mercure Comercial a block from the Catedral seems to be a great value. Regular rate is about US$ 78 including a very good breakfast buffet, but you may be able to get a better rate through hotel.com and the like.

The Casa Conde costs about half as much and is quite livable, but it is at the less touristic end of the pedestrian zone. For a single night, paying the difference makes a lot of sense.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
one of my favorite hotels in the colonial zone is hotel Nicolas de ovando .....beautifull hotel and the breakfast buffet is outstanding

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Looking for a hotel for one night for my husband and myself.
Have stayed in the past at the Jaquar and Courtyard using Priceline or Points.
Priceline has a 3* for $54 but not sure which hotel it is.
Thinking it might be fun to stay in the Colonial Zone.
Priority is safe area, clean, air conditioning, no cats.

Definitely go to the Colonial Zone and stay at the Hotel El Condo de Panelba. It is in the heart of the zone across the square from the oldest church in the new world. This is an older hotel but with a great outdoor cafe and restaurant. Ask for a room with a balcony. The rooms are not fancy but large and have a/c. The price for this hotel is reasonable. They have a web site so check it out. Good luck and good travels

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Now there are a nice range of hotels in ZC ..I stay sometimes at the Palacio in Duarte a stones throw from El Conde, when I have AC or other problems in my house ..It is extremely comfortable and they have done a wonderful restoration of several large colonial buildings .I have also stayed at Hodelpe and Mercure and would recommend that you keep clear of them . I agree that El Conde Penalba is also a good bet ..and for the splurge Nicolas de Ovando is perfect with good car parking also

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The hotel was the Jaragua.

Looking through the recommendations seems the Hotel El Conde Penalba is under $100 including
breakfast with a balcony overlooking the cathedral might do the trick. Could be noisy but sounds fun. Since it's on a pedestrian street taking a taxi from the airport and the next day to the Metro bus will we have to walk far?

Approx cost from hotel to Metro bus?

Going through your recommendations and hotels in Santo Domingo in general I should have also added non smoking.

Thanks again for help.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
El Conde Penalba is not in a noisy position,,,the side street has little traffic at night and in front is the pedestrian El Conde ,Yes to go to Metro is a taxi trip and not walking ..plenty of taxis near the hotel..Have not got the exact price but no more than $10

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
El Conde Penalba is not in a noisy position,,,the side street has little traffic at night and in front is the pedestrian El Conde ,Yes to go to Metro is a taxi trip and not walking ..plenty of taxis near the hotel..Have not got the exact price but no more than $10
I suppose the rooms on the street side are at least moderately noisy, simply because of the noise from the cathedral plaza and the business downstairs which remain active until late. That is unavoidable.

A normal Taxi (for example from Apolo Taxi) from the Cathedral vicinity to the nearest Metro station should cost about RD$200 pesos or slightly less than 5 USD. There are (used to be?) an upper-scale taxi service only available at various hotels, which was a bit more expensive, but not by much (perhaps 30-50 % more). There is also UBER, which is starting in SD.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

Looking through the recommendations seems the Hotel El Conde Penalba is under $100 including
breakfast with a balcony overlooking the cathedral might do the trick. Could be noisy but sounds fun. Since it's on a pedestrian street taking a taxi from the airport and the next day to the Metro bus will we have to walk far?

Approx cost from hotel to Metro bus?.
You should check the typical hotel sites. Out of curiosity I just checked this hotel at hotel.com with a 25 January as date just for testing, and found a standard double room with breakfast for only $85 USD INCLUDING all taxes and fees (about 10 dollars less without breakfast). This rate is for a reservation that could be cancelled up to a few days before the stay.

This hotel is at or very near a corner with a normal crossing street. Hence, walking distance to take a taxi should be very short. As indicated in another post, taxi to nearest metro station should be about 200 pesos or a bit less than 5 USD.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Anywhere in the colonial zone will be a nice vacation in a historic city with its feet planted firmly in the 21 century. They are making progress that I could parse if I chose to. They're doing a decent job, deserving of all the criticism they have received. Making a 500year old "city" relevant to a 21 st century tourist class is a challenge.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Anywhere in the colonial zone will be a nice vacation in a historic city with its feet planted firmly in the 21 century. They are making progress that I could parse if I chose to. They're doing a decent job, deserving of all the criticism they have received. Making a 500year old "city" relevant to a 21 st century tourist class is a challenge.
For those unfamiliar with the area, it seems sensible to lodge in the East side of the zone, that is toward the river, between the Cathedral and the Columbus palace, as close to Calle Las Damas as possible. El Conde de Penalba and the Mercure are good examples of reasonably priced choices in this area. At the West end of the ZC there is much less to see and do, and may possibly be less safe.
See this map.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Casa Sanchez was full. Booked El Conde Penalba. Any recommendations for late lunch and/or dinner? Good food but not fancy
dress.

Last time we were in Santo Domingo we went to a funky place for drinks that if I recall had a made to order shoe store in the front and in the back was all exposed walls with a huge tree. Didn't eat there but had great margaritas and dacquiris? Can't remember the name or address. Anyone know it?

Also any good jazz on Thursdays?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Approx cost from hotel to Metro bus?

Going through your recommendations and hotels in Santo Domingo in general I should have also added non smoking.

Thanks again for help.

What is your end destination? Where are you taking the bus to?