MOTORCYCLE for cruising around DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Posted before about moto a while back. Since then, bought a moto (Honda CRF250) in the US and learned how to ride. Looking for a moto here of around 200-250cc, used bike, OR if people have bought the cheaper Chinese offroad version and have had success, then possibly that. I believe they are around 90,000 pesos.

Looking to spend $3000 or less for an offroad 4 STROKE THAT WILL BE USED MAINLY OFFROAD, NOT ON TRAILS SO MUCH AS CAMPO ROADS. Obviously, these can be super rough and steep, therefore the offroad bike. I WILL NOT be riding hard, just exploring around the campo further than my mountain bike can take me and scouting new trails/areas for mountain bike riding.

I am not mechanical, so something that won't need much work. I looked at a 2005 Yamaha Serow. They are low maintenance. Opinion on that??

Anybody know of a bike for sale, please let me know. 4 Stroke, around 250cc. I am now in Cabarete til Saturday, back to Mao, Valverde Sunday. Yes, I know the roads are dangerous here. :) ...thanks for your time, PM me if you want.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
look up MotoCaribe Tours.... and write them.... use my name.
Robert will answer you.

He has a new bike that will fit your bill..... might be a touch over budget, but let him explain.
Could be worth a bit more for reliability.

He knows his stuff....

https://vimeo.com/77642491

here we are having fun..........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Posted before about moto a while back. Since then, bought a moto (Honda CRF250) in the US and learned how to ride. Looking for a moto here of around 200-250cc, used bike, OR if people have bought the cheaper Chinese offroad version and have had success, then possibly that. I believe they are around 90,000 pesos.

Looking to spend $3000 or less for an offroad 4 STROKE THAT WILL BE USED MAINLY OFFROAD, NOT ON TRAILS SO MUCH AS CAMPO ROADS. Obviously, these can be super rough and steep, therefore the offroad bike. I WILL NOT be riding hard, just exploring around the campo further than my mountain bike can take me and scouting new trails/areas for mountain bike riding.

I am not mechanical, so something that won't need much work. I looked at a 2005 Yamaha Serow. They are low maintenance. Opinion on that??

Anybody know of a bike for sale, please let me know. 4 Stroke, around 250cc. I am now in Cabarete til Saturday, back to Mao, Valverde Sunday. Yes, I know the roads are dangerous here. :) ...thanks for your time, PM me if you want.

Yes the Serow is an excellent bike. Many in Jarabacoa.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Special introductory price - first shipment only - will be a deal.

Like cars... they get you at the dock....

Much better if you're early on this one , Windy.....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
People often talk about what kind of business to open here in the DR. Why not a motorcycle factory? I know it would cost a lot more than a pizza joint or even than a strip club, but would be unique and nothing Fausto is going to open up next door.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The term cruiser usually refers to a certain bike with windshield and saddle bags made for over the road trips. Starting with a Yamaha six fifty or a Honda Shadow of the same size or a bit bigger on up to the 1800 cc bikes. These are verey scarce ere, and not what you are looking for I don't believe.
Der Fish

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Just found today a Honda Tornado. Seems like a good choice also. Maybe a bit heavy. At $3400, a bit more than I want to spend, but looks nice. I'd guess the price would come down some.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A $3,000 bike for $5,000 here. So it goes.

you need to read the fine print Windy

The $3,000 is for pre-sale customers ONLY... Sight unseen.
Once the ship sails, price goes to $3,495 plus assembly and delivery..... like $4,000

CSC has announced a very low price tag on the Cyclone RX-3 at $2,895 for pre-sale customers only. Once the first shipment of bikes has sailed from China, the price will increase to $3,495. That is still quite a bargain for a bike that offers fuel injection, water-cooling, 6-speed transmission, adjustable suspension, tall wind-screen, wire-spoked rims, electric start, panniers, top box, modern styling and a 1-year warranty, all as standard equipment. At that price, we expect many will overlook the ?Made in China? badge on the bike and be willing to give the RX-3 a try.

THey seem to want a nice order to load on the boat..... and are offering a price to sell.

The currency may affect future prices too

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
People often talk about what kind of business to open here in the DR. Why not a motorcycle factory? I know it would cost a lot more than a pizza joint or even than a strip club, but would be unique and nothing Fausto is going to open up next door.

you may be a bit late on that one , Derf.

There is a very large moto importer... assembly, & distribution.
They do cars too.
I'm told the car prep area has 120 lifts.
The moto assembly numbers are even crazier.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Umm. Hmm. Where do you think all of those motos on the roads come from? You would be eaten alive by opening such a business. But at least it isn't yet another bad pizza place.

Hope the OP finds a good cheap bike. Hard to do.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Umm. Hmm. Where do you think all of those motos on the roads come from? You would be eaten alive by opening such a business. But at least it isn't yet another bad pizza place.

Hope the OP finds a good cheap bike. Hard to do.

They come from China! None are locally built. If it says on it in English Built with Japanese technology, and it is t be sold in a Spanish speaking country where most buyers cannot even read that phrase you can be assured it comes from China!
Der Fish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf - get a tour of the RD assembly facility....

Probably a million dollar place.
I'm told crates of bikes are stacked to the ceiling... all assembled here

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's one of his favs too... until this came along.

Windy
you need to research a bit more...
I think you'll find this new bike to be north of $4500 in the USA..... when it gets there.
$3,000 is a misleading figure and nowhere near accurate.

That $2,995 introductory was FOB china - from what I know.