Nudist Basura Collection!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Okay... I'm kidding about the nudist part; but i didn't think I'd get any views otherwise!

I posted in LIVING about my desire to help feed a poor barrio in Las Terrenas, and after receiving many great ideas, this is the plan for: "Basura Para Comida" (Garbage for Meals)
I plan to replicate in other barrios..

I welcome your comments of support and HELPFUL tips; but NOT interested in "it'll never work" opinions.

Please see NEEDS at the end of the outline for specific ways YOU can help...Gracias!

WHEN: Saturday, January 30th, 12 noon--2:00 pm
WHERE: El Barrio de Manantial (Calle de Carmen bordering east side of town,in front of the Escuelita de Manantial)
WHY: Promote neighborhood clean-up, recycling and provide food to the families
HOW: Susan Miller will pay for:
>1 garbage truck and 3 basura collectors to be on-site Saturday (will ask the town to provide at future events)
>100 extra large bolsas de basura
>25 plastic containers filled with non-perishable food* >25 peso coins for

Each member of the Escuelita Mother's Group (or family representative) will be given 2 bolsas de basura and these Instructions;
1. Fill bags with trash in the area around your house and on the street
2. Put glass and plastic in separate bags
3. Bring filled bags to garbage truck in front of Escuelita de Manantial and receive one Food Bucket ticket for the 2 bags of basura
3. Exchange ticket in the school for one Food Bucket (value 1000 pesos)
4. Children will be given 25p for 5 plastic bottles
5. Additional filled bolsas can be traded for a chance to win a Sewing Machine OR a children's bicycle

*Plastic container will contain: (per suggestions from Lindsey Kaufman and DR1.com)
5 lbs rice
2 lbs black beans
1 lb sugar
1 sm bottle cooking oil
1 can tomate paste
3 tins sardines
1 pack Nutra soy milk

NEEDS:
Before Saturday:
1. Someone to translate this entire memo into Spanish :)
2. Someone with a big car to go to store with Susan to purchase 25 plastic containers and all the food on Friday, Jan 29
3. 2-3 more people to separate food into the containers and re-load into the "Food Molbile" for delivery to event on Saturday.
4. Someone to create 25 tickets (colored squares of paper okay)and printed Chances to win Sewing Machine or Childrens' Bicycle

At Event:
1. Someone to read the instructions en espaniol (Lidia?)
2. Someone to explain that beer and plastic bottles and metal items go in a separate bag (Ray?)
3. Someone with numbered list of families' names to distribute the garbage bags
4. Someone near the garbage truck to give one food ticket (per family) for two filled bags
5. Someone at the "Food Mobile" to exchange Food Package for ticket
6. 2-3 people with 25 peso coins to give to kids who bring them 5 plastic bottles
7. Someone in charge of the Chances
8. Someone to take BEFORE and AFTER pictures of the basura along the street

Please let me know if you can fill any of these needs and

Gracias!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Nudist Basura Collection!

Sneaky sneaky sneaky..........lol
I was getting ready to make a bid........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"I welcome your comments of support and HELPFUL tips; but NOT interested in "it'll never work" opinions."

You better believe it will work. At 5 pesos per plastic bottle for the kids, if I read this correctly,
they will be borrowing people's kids from other barrios to pick up trash in addition to their own kids.
Thats a lot of lotto tickets and Presidente.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
5 pesos for 1 plastic bottle. I say 1 peso for 1 plastic bottle. This way they will collect more.

Sounds like a great idea, best of luck with it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would also suggest 1 peso per bottle.

how are you going to make sure people really clean certain areas? people could just as well rain rubbish bins and call it a day. how about organizing this on a particularly dirty part of the beach? or along the road where people made a habit of throwing the trash away?

it may be a good idea to provide participants with latex rubber gloves to protect them somewhat from whatever nasties around. that and maybe a sharpened stick to use to pick up rubbish.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
5 pesos for 1 plastic bottle. I say 1 peso for 1 plastic bottle. This way they will collect more.

Sounds like a great idea, best of luck with it.
I would agree 5 pesos a bottle seems a lot ..........on the malecon in santo domingo ...bill gates could go broke at 5 pesos a bottle
a peso a bottle can still mount up
great idea susan ...hope it works and spreads

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Susan, the best of luck on this project, it's nice to see someone who truly takes an interest.........

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
how about organizing this on a particularly dirty part of the beach? or along the road where people made a habit of throwing the trash away?

it may be a good idea to provide participants with latex rubber gloves to protect them somewhat from whatever nasties around. that and maybe a sharpened stick to use to pick up rubbish.

Excellent idea about the gloves and basura sticks.....thank you! And we're doing this in a barrio, so people learn to clean where they LIVE......The town is responsible for keeping public beaches clean...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Good question! :) A friend here in LT is taking the plastic and glass bottles to a recycler in Santiago.... he's working on a way to compact the plastic for easier transport...

Good I don't know where, but think there is one here around Puerto Plata which is somewhat closer. I have seen trucks of mnon crushed bottles loaded sky high driving west out of town, maybe on their way to Santiago. I worked in recycling for several years and sold trailer loads of plastic at five cents a pound in Chattanooga as well as copper, aluminum and steel etc...
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a botellero in las terrenas, you will need to ask around. even better would be to take all glass bottles to nagua, the bottle guy is on the right hand side, almost leaving the city (going towards POP), his name is cesar tabar, someone will direct you further. he buys all types of glass bottles, or at least most. you will not get much but it's few pesos towards more few packages.

there is a place buying plastic for recycling, per kilo (but not all plastic can be recycled). it's on the main road from navarrete to santiago, also on the right (going to santiago). close to villa gonzalez, i believe. there should be mountains of plastic on the lot. maybe someone along the road can point it better.

metals can be sold to metaleros, they are in every city. they may also buy plastic or maybe help to direct you to someone who does.

generally the most knowledgeable folks are the basura guys themselves, they often collect recyclables and know where to take them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to add: a botellero will only buy non damaged bottles. broken/crushed glass is basically a loss. there are some companies in SD that buy it but you'd really have to have a truckload and it would not bring much money.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
there is a botellero in las terrenas, you will need to ask around. even better would be to take all glass bottles to nagua, the bottle guy is on the right hand side, almost leaving the city (going towards POP), his name is cesar tabar, someone will direct you further. he buys all types of glass bottles, or at least most. you will not get much but it's few pesos towards more few packages.

there is a place buying plastic for recycling, per kilo (but not all plastic can be recycled). it's on the main road from navarrete to santiago, also on the right (going to santiago). close to villa gonzalez, i believe. there should be mountains of plastic on the lot. maybe someone along the road can point it better.

metals can be sold to metaleros, they are in every city. they may also buy plastic or maybe help to direct you to someone who does.

generally the most knowledgeable folks are the basura guys themselves, they often collect recyclables and know where to take them.

this is outstanding info-- thank you, dv8! :)

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Great iniative Susan!

What about a bottle cutter, and hand out recycled bottles that now can be used as drinking cups?
As well, this is a one time event, but what we really need imo is something sustainable, have you thought about a continuing process?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please remember that many bottles can carry heavy contaminants. if they were reused for storage of kerosene, gasoline and other chemicals they are not safe for household use anymore.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Great iniative Susan!

What about a bottle cutter, and hand out recycled bottles that now can be used as drinking cups?
As well, this is a one time event, but what we really need imo is something sustainable, have you thought about a continuing process?

And how many lips would be cut by drinking from something of that nature? Have you ever used a bottle cutter? The user has to have experience or be supervised, not just pass them out. Jeez
Der Fish

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I agree with others that a bottle cutter wouldn't work; however, please keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

The GOAL is get people to see trash as treasure and plan to get local government involved at some point and replicate in other barrios...

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I love this idea. I must admit to having a similar idea myself for Santo Domingo, I wanted to get the homeless people to pick up trash and swap the bags of trash for a free meal or a bed for the night. Please can I suggest that you contact the Fathom cruise line, they are calling at Amber Cove 3 days a week from April / May onwards, and they have about 1000 volunteers who are interested in helping with community projects. Maybe you could get the volunteers and your community people to work together to clean up a particularly nasty area. That way you will get some meaningful work for the volunteers to do, and can get some additional helping hands with no additional cost.