Ferry from Miches to Samana

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone know if there is still ferry service from Meeches to Samana. Any info would be great. Also is there a secure place to leave a car overnight.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Does anyone know if there is still ferry service from Meeches to Samana. Any info would be great. Also is there a secure place to leave a car overnight.

It is MICHES. Anyway, I am unaware of a direct water link between Miches and Samana. You probably meant between SABANA DE LA MAR and Samana (see map). Between these points, there is/was a very limited connecting boat service (not a real ferry, certainly not for vehicles). As of late 2014 they were having serious difficulties, but I have no idea how it is now. I have never taken it my self. It is probably only recommended for adventure tourism, or for locals.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

When I went there in October, the ferry was not departing from its usual place in Miches. We had to drive outside of town, to an unmarked house, where we had to move a barbed wire fence to drive to the dock. It was a right hand turn. Once there, they explained that the ferry was not running that day. We are not sure if it was a temporary thing or not. We proceeded to Sabana de le Mar, and took the ferry from there. I think it left at 2:30 or 3:30. The road taking you close to Miches is not that bad, but once you get near Miches, and the whole way to Sabana, it was still under construction and it was a very slow ride, going around all the bridges that were under construction. The ferry is small, and inexpensive. No car, but they do take motorcycles. I think it was around 300 pesos.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Was on the jetty at Sabana last Easter and the ferry was parked ready for boarding. Small blue and white boat.

From Sabana de la Mar the departure times were 9.00, 11.00 15.00 ad 17.00 and one way for passenger was 200rd

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Sabana jetty and ferry boat pic

1zxqtty.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Passenger and Vehicle Ferry planned

http://hoy.com.do/1355417/

Public Works have just announced the construction of new jetties at both Sabana al la Mar and Samana to service passenger and vehicle ferries and so allow shorter vehicle route from East to Samana Peninsula and North Coast.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Maybe not the best idea this year ...but there are great improvements being made.. Minches whale watching is now advertising in Bavaro... IN a year or so you won't have to go to Samana, then the infrastructure will grow into hotels etc. Got money to invest -- forget Uber Alto --- if I had a bank, Id bet on Minches for growth.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Maybe not the best idea this year ...but there are great improvements being made.. Minches whale watching is now advertising in Bavaro... IN a year or so you won't have to go to Samana, then the infrastructure will grow into hotels etc. Got money to invest -- forget Uber Alto --- if I had a bank, Id bet on Minches for growth.

The beach on the edge of Miches is a lovely long arching sandy expanse and undeveloped and a good day out with lunch at one of the small restaurants set back from the beach......one as German owned. Access is a right turn before you cross the bridge on entering Miches from the Bavaro direction. Good bet but a few years away. There is a large development already planned a but further east from Miches though, and was reported to include a Four Seasons Hotel.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Does anybody have any new information as to whether they are making progress with the new piers in Sabana de la Mar? If they could offer reliable car ferry service, it would be a game-changer....