Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Hello to all. For more than a week I've been browsing these forums. Now I've finally decided to join!

I'm finally following through on my desire to become proficient at communicating in Spanish. I'm convinced that the only way to develop decent listening/speaking skills is by way of complete immersion into the language.

Therefore, I've chosen the Dominican Republic to be my destination for complete immersion. In fact, rather than staying at a resort and gallivanting as a tourist, I shall enroll into a Spanish Immersion Course. It'll be an educational vacation!

I find that this site is a great resource for learning about Dominican culture. It's also great for a good laugh (I've read some hilarious posts).

Looking forward to some greetings from you fine folks!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Bienvenido a DR1 / Welcome to DR1.

Just to let you know, this is an English language forum and posts need to be in English, except probably in the Spanish 101 forum.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello Jonsonroc, welcome to DR1 and message forums. Now by immersion you mean living in DR? I would say great idea and maybe know some Spanish before you and if you have family/friends or some variety of a network to use as a resource to help you transition to life there it will be of a great aid to you in your quest. Any move to a new area is hard, but made even harder if there is the language barrier and no family and such to help ease you into the place you choose. God bless and take care.
Biggs :#:#:p:p

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hello to all. For more than a week I've been browsing these forums. Now I've finally decided to join!

I'm finally following through on my desire to become proficient at communicating in Spanish. I'm convinced that the only way to develop decent listening/speaking skills is by way of complete immersion into the language.

Therefore, I've chosen the Dominican Republic to be my destination for complete immersion. In fact, rather than staying at a resort and gallivanting as a tourist, I shall enroll into a Spanish Immersion Course. It'll be an educational vacation!

I find that this site is a great resource for learning about Dominican culture. It's also great for a good laugh (I've read some hilarious posts).

Looking forward to some greetings from you fine folks!

Hola Jonsonroc,

Welcome to a beautiful diverse country and culture and the even more diverse DR1clan. I've only been a member for a short time but I throughly enjoy the serious discussions, the wealth of knowledge available on the site, the occasional rants and the smattering of smut. A few Bohemia Grandes and it all makes sense, at least from my perspective.
If you really want to lean Espa?ol quickly, come down, start a relationship with a gorgeous DR lady and get her mad from time to time. I personally guarantee she will say things to you that you won't forget. Works for me.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hey Jon, Welcome to Paradise. Hope you enjoy the island. But be warned if you do come and learn enuff Spanish to be fluent here it is a distinct dialect. In "real Spanish" all the letters are pronounced. Here the people leave off as many as they can. My Mexican friend says that when he comes here he leaves his s's at home because they aren't used. The foremost example of this IMO is gracias is pronounced as written elsewhere, but here it is just graci or at times gracia.
Immerse though and enjoy.
Der Fish

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Hello Jonsonroc, welcome to DR1 and message forums. Now by immersion you mean living in DR? I would say great idea and maybe know some Spanish before you and if you have family/friends or some variety of a network to use as a resource to help you transition to life there it will be of a great aid to you in your quest. Any move to a new area is hard, but made even harder if there is the language barrier and no family and such to help ease you into the place you choose. God bless and take care.
Biggs :#:#:p:p

By immersion, I mean a 5 week vacation via some Spanish Immersion course. I live in Chicago, and have no desire to live anywhere other than the USA.

I've already began my studies in Spanish. As of right now, I'm level A1 and am now working through a level A2 course.

By summer of 2017, when I shall visit the DR, I hope to have at least achieved level B1 Spanish. However, I'm thinking that I'll achieve such level for only speaking, reading, and writing. Listening ability is sooooooo haaaarrrrrd to develop! Hence, I have desire to immerse in the DR in hopes it will quickly enhance my listening ability.

Thank you for welcoming me.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Hey Jon, Welcome to Paradise. Hope you enjoy the island. But be warned if you do come and learn enuff Spanish to be fluent here it is a distinct dialect. In "real Spanish" all the letters are pronounced. Here the people leave off as many as they can. My Mexican friend says that when he comes here he leaves his s's at home because they aren't used. The foremost example of this IMO is gracias is pronounced as written elsewhere, but here it is just graci or at times gracia.
Immerse though and enjoy.
Der Fish

I've been learning European Spanish. Therefore, my ears are being trained to hear perfectly spoken Spanish ('vosotros' and all).

There's at least one Spanish school in the DR (found it via Google). I hope that any such schools in the DR will train students in Dominican Spanish.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
Hola Jonsonroc,

Welcome to a beautiful diverse country and culture and the even more diverse DR1clan. I've only been a member for a short time but I throughly enjoy the serious discussions, the wealth of knowledge available on the site, the occasional rants and the smattering of smut. A few Bohemia Grandes and it all makes sense, at least from my perspective.
If you really want to lean Espa?ol quickly, come down, start a relationship with a gorgeous DR lady and get her mad from time to time. I personally guarantee she will say things to you that you won't forget. Works for me.

Hahaa! I've been browsing the forums for a week prior to me joining. Methinks I've read enough posts to scare me away from those gorgeous DR ladies.

Although, I imagine that it would be nice to have a 'novia dominicana' to accompany me for the entire trip.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Johnson, enjoy your language learning adventure. I find the Dominican accent difficult to understand, and once you hear more of it you will learn there are regional differences among Dominicans. having travelled to DR helped me immeasurably in understanding Dominicans here in the US. welcome.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
By immersion, I mean a 5 week vacation via some Spanish Immersion course. I live in Chicago, and have no desire to live anywhere other than the USA.

I've already began my studies in Spanish. As of right now, I'm level A1 and am now working through a level A2 course.

By summer of 2017, when I shall visit the DR, I hope to have at least achieved level B1 Spanish. However, I'm thinking that I'll achieve such level for only speaking, reading, and writing. Listening ability is sooooooo haaaarrrrrd to develop! Hence, I have desire to immerse in the DR in hopes it will quickly enhance my listening ability.

Thank you for welcoming me.

I have never seen a Spanish immersion course here in the DR. I would suggest you rent a condo for 5 weeks in a gated community with good security and sign up with a local Spanish teacher. You can take a class and use the languagae in a real life setting. Go to the market, the bar or cafe and converse. Good luck and good travels.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have never seen a Spanish immersion course here in the DR. I would suggest you rent a condo for 5 weeks in a gated community with good security and sign up with a local Spanish teacher. You can take a class and use the languagae in a real life setting. Go to the market, the bar or cafe and converse. Good luck and good travels.

And who is he gonna converse with? The first victim is going to say "No hablo ingles" and turn away, and the second and the third etc... Till the second coming.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Jon, where in Chicago do you reside?
Born and raised there, mostly on the North side, East and West Rodgers Park......

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Derf, If Johnson is able to find an 'immersion" program they arrange the activities which enable interaction. Also, usually spanish is the only language permitted with something like time-outs if your native tongue is required. immersion can work. With a group of motivated learners. Me, I drink in DR. Not gonna study nuttin.

jonsonroc

Jan 27, 2016
I have never seen a Spanish immersion course here in the DR...

Just do a Google search having the criteria "spanish immersion class dominican republic".

I would post links to the several DR immersion classes that I found, but the forums do not allow me to post links.

Status
Not open for further replies.