driving licence

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I have an international driving licence that was obtained in the USA. Do I need to have it stamped here in the Dr to make it legal. I have my residency card and just waiting for the ceremony to become citizen. I want to start the process to getting DR licence. My licence is from USA so it the USA embassy will not validate it. Would appreciate any advice that is out there
Thank You
Harry

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you have your residency card then you should have your cedula. With your cedula you can apply for your driver's license but I believe as the US doesn't validate yours, you have to go through the whole process (learner's permit, etc.). But you'll find that getting a driver's license is one of the easiest process you'll go through in this country IMHO.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
So i start at the DGTT on Tiradentes for the permit. What about the test will be in Spanish and my Spanish is limiited at best.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Your international driver's license is of zero value in the DR. So, you start at the beginning here and get your DR license since you are a US citizen. As others have mentioned you need to have a cedula for this procedure. You pay fees at Banreseva and take it from there one step at a time.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have an international driving licence that was obtained in the USA. Do I need to have it stamped here in the Dr to make it legal. I have my residency card and just waiting for the ceremony to become citizen. I want to start the process to getting DR licence. My licence is from USA so it the USA embassy will not validate it. Would appreciate any advice that is out there
Thank You
Harry

I have known a couple of people who got an international driver's license trying to use it in the USA, and it says on it it is to be used with the person's other license. Florida police laugh at it, as any police should.
Der Fish

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The test will be in Spanish.

There is something about being able to get a "translator" to assist, but it must be requested and arranged in advance I believe. That may only be available in Santo Domingo. I do not know the details. Best to have someone call them and find out about that part.

PS: There is a test you need to take to get the learner's permit (In Spanish also).

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The test will be in Spanish.

There is something about being able to get a "translator" to assist, but it must be requested and arranged in advance I believe. That may only be available in Santo Domingo. I do not know the details. Best to have someone call them and find out about that part.

PS: There is a test you need to take to get the learner's permit (In Spanish also).

Also I understand locally that the license only is for automatic transmission cars, and does not cover manual transmission cars/

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So i start at the DGTT on Tiradentes for the permit. What about the test will be in Spanish and my Spanish is limiited at best.

For Santo Domingo yes.

There are plenty of people trying to tout business by the entrance to DGTT on Tiradentes. They offer to help you practice the theory test. This test is in Spanish and the questions keep changing. They tell you they are able to get some help because you don't speak Spanish well....for a fee. But you do have to take the test and get all but two questions correct to pass.

There is a BanReserva by the entrance to DGTT but queues are long so maybe pay elsewhere for your provisional license.

Once you have the receipt, you enter DGTT and go to window at far left end and submit cedula and receipt and await a police record check. Once you have that you go to the theory test reception, register and they take fingerprints. You the take an eye test followed by a blood test (prick of finger) to determine your blood group. After completing all that you go to the reception for the theory training which is a40 minute video in clear Spanish followed by a few tips (answers) by the instructors on the theory test questions and off you go to the theory test. You get assigned an enclosed booth and once the test starts click si o no to the questions......you can replay questions. At the end you pass or fail. don't despair if you fail.......you head off to BanReserva and pay a fee and resit.

After the successful test you go to get your photo taken and then the provisional is issued with a date after which you can return for the driving test.

For the test you get manual or automatic options for the car to use. Someone passing with auto cannot drive manual but manual can drive all vehicles. My test lasted one lap of the in house circuit which has traffic lights junctions etc. Instructor said you can drive and signed a paper and off I went for photo again and license.

To register for each step they take a fingerprint scan by the way.

You can find examples of the theory test on youtube to practice more.

Hope this helps......it is a very easy process for just over 2k rd in total without assistance.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
For Santo Domingo yes.

There are plenty of people trying to tout business by the entrance to DGTT on Tiradentes. They offer to help you practice the theory test. This test is in Spanish and the questions keep changing. They tell you they are able to get some help because you don't speak Spanish well....for a fee. But you do have to take the test and get all but two questions correct to pass.

There is a BanReserva by the entrance to DGTT but queues are long so maybe pay elsewhere for your provisional license.

Once you have the receipt, you enter DGTT and go to window at far left end and submit cedula and receipt and await a police record check. Once you have that you go to the theory test reception, register and they take fingerprints. You the take an eye test followed by a blood test (prick of finger) to determine your blood group. After completing all that you go to the reception for the theory training which is a40 minute video in clear Spanish followed by a few tips (answers) by the instructors on the theory test questions and off you go to the theory test. You get assigned an enclosed booth and once the test starts click si o no to the questions......you can replay questions. At the end you pass or fail. don't despair if you fail.......you head off to BanReserva and pay a fee and resit.

After the successful test you go to get your photo taken and then the provisional is issued with a date after which you can return for the driving test.

For the test you get manual or automatic options for the car to use. Someone passing with auto cannot drive manual but manual can drive all vehicles. My test lasted one lap of the in house circuit which has traffic lights junctions etc. Instructor said you can drive and signed a paper and off I went for photo again and license.

To register for each step they take a fingerprint scan by the way.

You can find examples of the theory test on youtube to practice more.

Hope this helps......it is a very easy process for just over 2k rd in total without assistance.
Hi ju10prd,
Thank you very much for this detailed account of the process. I am sure with your help all will go fine. Will update later with results.
Harry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Harry
the test is a video/cartoon type....

the screen shows you something, like 'Good or Bad' scenarion

you don't need much Spanish

once you get there.... ayudantes will be all over you..... keep a couple of 100/200 pesos notes handy

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am of the belief that most Dominicans receive their drivers license in a box of Corn Flakes. I find it hilarious that they take driving lessons from another Dominican. Talk about the blind leading the blind.....
Before anyone starts getting on me (not that I care) about being negative about the Dominican or Dominican people I like more things here than I dislike, however, how they drive is NOT one of them.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Harry
the test is a video/cartoon type....

the screen shows you something, like 'Good or Bad' scenarion

you don't need much Spanish

once you get there.... ayudantes will be all over you..... keep a couple of 100/200 pesos notes handy

thanks for the info. After doing the citizenship without a lawyer or ayudantes I am sure they not to have a problem with them now. Although I am having trouble finding the examples of sample test on youtube.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Thank You
Harry

there is no such thing as a international drivers license that is issued in the U.S.A

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I will let you tell them. They are not a recognized government agency. That's the same as saying you got a international drivers license from the 7-11 store

what ever,the purpose of my question is about getting a dominican licence,not get in a ****ing war about some thing so stupid.