Batey Relief Alliance

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Just wondering what anyone thinks of the BRA, Batey Relief Alliance run out of New York? Just curious, of opinions, if any.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Can I guess?

Could it be that Batey Relief Alliance is an Al Qaeida Haitian cell in one of our sugar mills?

TW

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Sitt'n on the Dock of Batey

Seems to me that more people on the other side of El Batey need help i.e. los Charamicos. Wanna do something? Put some pesos in the jar at Britannia Pub for the childrens' educational fund. Britannia is in Batey and donations are well used.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don' t think this alliance is for El Batey of Sosua, Chris...No one seems really sure what this organization is...

A batey, in my understanding, is a barrio or community...

Edited to add: But I think it would be a fine idea to give to the jar at the Britannia pub - I was just reading about the the cause and I think Harry, the guy in charge, is a lovely, lovely person. What a great idea and what a nice way to do something for the community.

Last edited:

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
A batey in my reference is where the sugar cane workers live, Haitian, Domino-Haitian in horrendous conditions. I lived in a batey during my last stayed, batey Arroyo Indio, about an hour outside of KM 22. Anyways, that's not my point, there's an organization run in NYC that goes into the batey's, mainly outside of San Pedro, doing work there, whether it is medical or dental or other. I just wasn't too sure about the organization or if I completely trusted it. Seems to me as if no one has heard of it. It has a link on the web at: www.bateyrelief.org

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Looks like a relief fund for the illegal Haitians working in the cane fields. Suggest they find some way of helping them stay in their own country instead of helping them stay in the Batey.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Hey, I'll keep my mouth quiet on that one, let's just say I have a lot of very cool Haitian friends in Bateyes and who lets them into the country? I'm pretty sure there are some d.r. ties in there to blame

AlanRobertson

May 27, 2004
Information re: BRA from AlanRobertson

I have just returned from working for BRA in the DR as a medical missionary. If you have specific questions regarding the program, their work, the bateys, etc. or want to practice your Spanish (I want to try to keep mine up) please feel free to contact me.