Newb with a few questions regarding marriage & buying a car in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Good Evening DR1 Members,

I go to DR monthly to see my gf (no not part of the scene lol) & actually considering asking her to marry me. I have a solid pre nup but to those who have married a Dominican what has been your experience?

Now I want to buy a car as renting for 10 days each month is just to much. With that said where can I go to spend $2500 max on a beater while there? I'll leave at my gf's apt in Santiago.

I appreciate any help/advice you can give!!!!!

Thanks!

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Oh shoot I forgot the intro. Lol

Name : Brice

Hmmmmmm that's all I got! Nice to "meet" everyone!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome to Wonderland.
Never been married to a Domincan so no experience in the field or advice to give.
Good luck.

Apr 7, 2014

I go to DR monthly to see my gf (no not part of the scene lol) & actually considering asking her to marry me. I have a solid pre nup but to those who have married a Dominican what has been your experience?

Now I want to buy a car as renting for 10 days each month is just to much. With that said where can I go to spend $2500 max on a beater while there? I'll leave at my gf's apt in Santiago.

Thanks!
Your pre-nup will be invalidated in the Dominican court system. Why? Because they can. So forget about marriage. Why bother? Where is she gonna go? You re the best thing in her life at the moment. Forget marriage...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
& actually considering asking her to marry me.

Now that made me take attention!

My opinion is do not marry a Dominicana unless you have lived with her 24/7 for some considerable time. There are so many horror stories about and you need to understand the lay of the land very clearly. Even living with a Dominicana 24/7 certain things could be hidden from you.....it happened to me. It is not all bad but there are so many impoverished lasses in this country that will take you for a country ride and a country mile.

Ask yourself what is the benefit of marriage in your case? It will not secure sole conjugal rights and certainly does put anything you share at risk. If you want her to join you back home maybe it is different.

Car wise. Whatever you spend and park with her will become property at risk in the event of a fall out.

Be cautious. Enjoy what you have without commitment even if at a higher cost.

Better ask board members for a better regular car hire deal.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
What are the advantages to you of marrying this woman?
I do not doubt that she has a number of them, but how about you?

I agree that you need more experience living with her than just a few weeks.
A year at least.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Do it man . I well rent your car from you when you dont use it. Dont let her chulo crash it. I got parking spots also.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
RUN as fast as your legs will carry you

I lived w/my gf in DR for 9 yrs., married brought her to the BIGPX, 5yrs ago. Living in her country,no problem
living in my country,holy ****, I didn't realize how Uneducated they are, and she graduated high school. Really
boring, not interested in reading, anything, gets a headache. Television and hair products that's it. Work! she has
been talking about getting a job for 4 yrs.
I have a friend here who married a girl from the same town, his problems are 10Xs worse then mine.
Live with her don't marry. and nothing in her name. never ever.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every woman is different, even with Dominican women. I agree with take it slow and get to know her really well before you get married. Keep your own bank account....etc. I have been married to an educated Dominican woman for 17 years and Dogdstar she loves to read, has wrote several books, loves to garden...etc.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I lived w/my gf in DR for 9 yrs., married brought her to the BIGPX, 5yrs ago. Living in her country,no problem
living in my country,holy ****, I didn't realize how Uneducated they are, and she graduated high school. Really
boring, not interested in reading, anything, gets a headache. Television and hair products that's it. Work! she has
I have a friend here who married a girl from the same town, his problems are 10Xs worse then mine.

classic post !!! luv it !!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks!

You are already way in over your head. I wouldn't marry her if you are not planning on living permanently in the DR. In addition you can take your pre-nup and tear it up. You are not in Kansas any longer. If you marry you might as well dump a whole lot of money in bank in the DR for your wife because she will be going through it faster than you can make it. As far as a vehicle it is an involved process. If you buy a car from a private individual you would need them to furnish you with a "Bill of Sale Contract", a police report showing the car is not stolen, the title and you need proof of insurance. You need to take all of this and go to motor vehicle in Santo Domingo and get the car title put in your name. Keep renting. A lot less hassles.

Aug 6, 2006
As with everything that depends on the future, this is a matter of the odds. You MIGHT be lucky, you COULD marry her and live happily ever after. It depends on both you and her and how each of you change (as everyone does) over the years.
The perfect spouse is unobtainable. Perfection does not exist on this planet.

Women marry a man and plan to change him, and almost always fail. Men marry a woman and expect her not to change, and she always does: she gets older, for sure, as do we all.
The odds are against this being a good idea. Comparable to buying a cheap car and having it turn out to be a wise purchase.
If you bring a Dominicana to the US to live, this drastically makes a successful turnout possible. She will in all probability want to play keeping up with the Joneses. No one wins at that except people selling status symbols.
It is safe to assume that two people making decisions about how to spend their money are only half as smart as one. That is why they always want the wifey to accompany the hubby to consider a timeshare condo and other such nonsense.
Then the salesman can ask, "Doesn't your beautiful wife DESERVE this?
The correct response never occurs to most men, as it consists in feigning an epileptic seizure.

Last edited:

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I am one of the lucky ones. I am married to a wonderful Dominican woman and we have a great family. We have no pre nuptial, just regular marriage. When I die everything is the families both here and USA. I spend more money then my wife does she saves it. You have to marry into a good family. If they are having trouble guess what? You marry you marry into her families problems also.

Do not be in a big rush to get married.DON'T. take your time. IMO marriage is for life.

You can rent cars from Dominicans for less than rental agencies. Ask your girlfriend to ask around. We rent our cars out sometimes. You can get a beater for 2500.00 it will be about a 500 to 800 car in usa if lucky. My neighbor bought a used 90's Nissan for about that. he repainted and looked decent

so IMO
rent car
take time on marriage. she will wait.
I never had day of regret in my marriage, she was a gift from Dios

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is my understanding that there is no such thing as a solid pre-nuptial agreement in the DR. The DR laws will over-ride such an agreement.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The only good pre-nup, even stateside is not to get married and that is sketchy. Marriage is a bad business move all around. I did not catch the age difference but these sweet little 27 y/o chicas have a propensity to blow up quickly after their metabolism slows down and cant process the high carb diet. caveat emptor

Apr 7, 2014
Bronxboy may have to move this thread.
I wonder if the Hillbilly Rules are a little outdated for the immense popularity of Internet relationships? In the olden days I guess guys were using paid services now with Badoo and Tagged and Hi5 and those guys there are a million websites out here to meet a million loser chicks with pipe dreams of Living in The Big Picture.

Jul 28, 2014

Thanks!

Daddy never told you the free milk and cow story?

Status
Not open for further replies.