Hit or Myth

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Good morning everyone,

Interesting chat with some of my DR friends over the past week Here is what I've been told;

1. I can buy a car here by simply using my passport.

2. I don't need a DR drivers license.

3. All I need is the minimum insurance, about $50 annually.

4. The only police that can hold and charge me are the Policia Cestur. Other police can stop me but can't charge me, drunk driving, etc.

5. I can purchase a decent Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 for about $10,000.

A few of you are aware of my living arrangement here during the winter. I stay in a resort about four to five months a year. I rent cars as I need them. Roughly $30 a day total cost. I've been told by the resort manager I can keep my car here when I'm back in Canada.

I know from the DR1 forum, the laws for non DR residents are fairly strict for drivers license and vehicle purchase. Does my non resident status allow me to avoid all this and do what my friends are telling me. Are they hitting the nail on the head or are they myths?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good morning everyone,

Interesting chat with some of my DR friends over the past week Here is what I've been told;

1. I can buy a car here by simply using my passport.

2. I don't need a DR drivers license.

3. All I need is the minimum insurance, about $50 annually.

4. The only police that can hold and charge me are the Policia Cestur. Other police can stop me but can't charge me, drunk driving, etc.

5. I can purchase a decent Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 for about $10,000.

A few of you are aware of my living arrangement here during the winter. I stay in a resort about four to five months a year. I rent cars as I need them. Roughly $30 a day total cost. I've been told by the resort manager I can keep my car here when I'm back in Canada.

I know from the DR1 forum, the laws for non DR residents are fairly strict for drivers license and vehicle purchase. Does my non resident status allow me to avoid all this and do what my friends are telling me. Are they hitting the nail on the head or are they myths?

well, it depends on what you mean by decent. that kind of money will probably get you a 2002 or 2003 CRV.

and , yes, you can buy with a passport. and you don?t need a Dominican license. and you can put minimum insurance. just don?t go too cheap on the coverage. spend about 6 to 8 thousand pesos on insurance, so you get decent coverage. if you have a pedestrian knockdown, you will understand why.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. yes
2. not true
3. yes but it will be more than 50 dollars
4. a lie
5. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, maybe if they are over 10 year old

Aug 6, 2006
As I understand it, your non-RD driver's license is only valid for thirty days after your arrival as a tourist. It is not a permanent arrangement.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well we got stopped by AMET for making a left turn off Carares in Santiago onto San Luis. All he asked for was insurance, drivers license, and matricula, all of which we have. We managed to talk him out of the ticket , convincing him we were country folk from Jarabacoa and didn't drive in the big city very often. He laughed ad just told us there were no left turns except at one street and told us to be careful. Thank god for my wife , she has talked them out of giving me tickets three times now.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I agree 100 per cent with her.
Der Fish

Agreed but 5 yes you can get a decent suv for 10,000. we bought a 2006 escape for 5600.00 from a private individual. Its just like anywhere else. you have to wait for deals. The bought new suv and need out from this one. only minor problems with it I fixed myself. Dominicans get in financial trouble to.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Agreed but 5 yes you can get a decent suv for 10,000. we bought a 2006 escape for 5600.00 from a private individual. Its just like anywhere else. you have to wait for deals. The bought new suv and need out from this one. only minor problems with it I fixed myself. Dominicans get in financial trouble to.

he said CRV or RAV4. you cannot get one of those for 10 grand if it is a 2006

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Been said many times here-
you're playing with fire by using a foreign license after the allowed timeframe.

Might be hard to explain car ownership on a foreign license....
they aren't all dunces...

So, you own a car but have no RD license............. explicame , por favor ???

Buying it is one thing,
using it - driving around for 4 months or so is another

Hire a driver ???
way less than $30/day and zero problems on the road...IMO

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The Honda CRV is the Holy grail of Dominican middle class accomplishment. If you own one, you've "arrived" The Rav4 is the next step down (but not very much of a step as they are also very revered) Hence the prices of these vehicles tend to be artificially high compared with other vehicle of the same class. Having said that, if ever you want to sell it, you will do so in a heartbeat.

Have a look here for the Dominican used car traders http://www.supercarros.com
Have a look here for Dominican private sellers http://www.corotos.com.do

It will give you an idea on vehicle prices. Obviously the caveat about buying used vehicles stands very firm here!

I would recommend that you also pay the transfer tax called a "trespaso" It is fixed price tax set by the government depending of the brand, size of engine and age which will enable you to register it in your name.
First find the vehicle you want and enter it here http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx
Then put the government appraised value in here http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v.../CalculadoraTransferenciaVehiculosMotor-.aspx
And that is how much tax you pay to transfer it.
If you buy from a dealer, they should be able to help you out with the paperwork. If you buy privately you will need a lawyer to draft a sales contract between the two parties. Make sure the seller's name is on the Matricula (registration document) and get a photocopy of both sides of the seller's cedula.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know people that have been here for more than 20 years with foreign licenses, owning cars, insurance, etc. None have ever had what I would call a problem. Not that I recommend this, but it is a fact.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A brief search found this one for $11,500. It's a 2006
http://www.corotos.com.do/distrito_nacional/carros_jeepetas_y_camionetas/Honda_CRV_1999441.htm

2892520901.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know people that have been here for more than 20 years with foreign licenses, owning cars, insurance, etc. None have ever had what I would call a problem. Not that I recommend this, but it is a fact.

I know people in Canada/USA that drive drunk and have never been caught !!
Top that !!

I know people that have shoplifted and never been charged.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Gracias Amigos.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Once again you have been a wealth of information. Thanks to one and all for covering my back. After reading all the posts, I will stick to rentals until I move here and run the red gauntlet of bureaucratic tape to get my temporary citizenship, drivers license and then purchase a vehicle. You can be a rowdy bunch but your a good bunch!

Enjoy your day for tomorrow we may die.

Btw. The Canadian guy who was arrested by the Policia Cestur at my resort yesterday was back free by late evening. His Canadian girlfriend refused to press charges for his assault on her. Lucky SOB!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
As I understand it, your non-RD driver's license is only valid for thirty days after your arrival as a tourist. It is not a permanent arrangement.

Yes, but when I get pulled over for traffic infractions I pass them my Tenn license and have never had it declared invalid, though i realize it is.