Avoiding paying for overstay?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I think this has been discussed, but could not find easily any useful threads, so sorry, asking again:

If someone leaves the country after overstaying the tourist "visa", was there an option to do something somewhere (immigration?) in order to be able to pay less (or pay nothing) than the table (that has been posted many times) says?

Could be that nothing of the sort is even possible, but I do recall some people talking about this. And not talking about any loopholes etc. but real procedures...

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I think this has been discussed, but could not find easily any useful threads, so sorry, asking again:

If someone leaves the country after overstaying the tourist "visa", was there an option to do something somewhere (immigration?) in order to be able to pay less (or pay nothing) than the table (that has been posted many times) says?

Could be that nothing of the sort is even possible, but I do recall some people talking about this. And not talking about any loopholes etc. but real procedures...

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sneak across the border into Haiti at night when nobody is watching and take a boat trip from there. Lots of them leaving to Miami, but on no precise schedule.
Der Fish

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Sneak across the border into Haiti at night when nobody is watching and take a boat trip from there. Lots of them leaving to Miami, but on no precise schedule.
Der Fish

Thanks, I?ll keep in mind ;)

I?d consider this to belong to the "loopholes"...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try talking your way out of it.....

No, I don't recall any 'trick' to avoid paying
Quite the opposite.....the opinion here is that it's getting harder to avoid paying it.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
1. Book a round trip flight from the city you are returning to, departing the DR on the day you want to fly, with less than 30 daysbetween the two flights.

2. Print the itinerary, then cancel the flight (cancellations within 24 hrs are free)

3. Rebook a one way flight from the DR, on the exact same flight you had as the round trip

4. Go to the police station, and report your passport stolen. Get a police report

5. Go to the consulate, and get a new passport

When you leave, with your new passport, tell immigration that your passport was stolen while you were here, show them the police report and the round trip itinerary you printed from your now cancelled flight.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
1. Book a round trip flight from the city you are returning to, departing the DR on the day you want to fly, with less than 30 daysbetween the two flights.

2. Print the itinerary, then cancel the flight (cancellations within 24 hrs are free)

3. Rebook a one way flight from the DR, on the exact same flight you had as the round trip

4. Go to the police station, and report your passport stolen. Get a police report

When you leave, with your new passport, tell immigration that your passport was stolen while you were here, show them the police report and the round trip itinerary you printed from your now cancelled flight.

OMG isn't it easier just to pay the darn fee.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

and after all that time.... you will be overstaying again

repeat the process until you leave.

Your government will certainly continue to re-issue you a passport as many times as you ask

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
OMG isn't it easier just to pay the darn fee.

Well, yea... But, he wanted options. That is the best I could come up with. I only tried once to talk my fee down, wasn't happening. I don't even bother any more. And, I have to pay the damn thing several times a year.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
never ceases to amaze me ...how many people do not want to pay for anything ...you overstayed ...pay the fine ...its not as if they are being exorbitant with the fees
its like eating a steak at a restaurant and after eating the whole thing...let me complain and see if I can get it knocked off the bill

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Overstay fees are a fraction of the cost of residency without the headaches and a luxury for people like
myself who don't qualify for it. Just pay them and go.

Last edited:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Asking how to break the law on a public forum is not a well thought out idea.

Thanks for pointing that out, this is exactly my point.

Hence I said "not loopholes" in my OP etc. as I?m not interested in anything but official.

I only began this thread as I recall, that it has been discussed, that you can go to immigration beforehand and do something. I?m not sure if this is even correct, as as I said, I could not find info with search easily.

Should this not be the case, then no need to continue with this thread.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Overstay fees are a fraction of the cost of residency without the headaches and a luxury for people like
myself who don't qualify for it. Just pay them and go.

1. Not that it?s the point in anyway, but it?s not for me, I was asked about this by someone. I have my papers fully in order.

2. Again, just asking, as I recalled a discussion about it, not a big deal.

Thanks everyone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I only began this thread as I recall, that it has been discussed, that you can go to immigration beforehand and do something. I?m not sure if this is even correct, as as I said, I could not find info with search easily.

i think that you are talking about extending the tourist card. i do not know if it is possible anymore but even if yes, they still charge money for it so no point in doing it. here's an older thread (quoting old prices) about it:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/131237-Tourist-Card-Extension

go directly to post 10:

David, make a search with ''prorroga''. I found this and there is more ....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by XTraveller PRORROGA-----EXTEND TOURIST VISA

I finally went thru the whole process. Close to the end of the first 30 days in DR. you can go to migration in SD. You go to cage #2 (Extranjeria) on the first floor with your passport. There you have to pay RD800 and can extend your tourist visa for an additional 3 months. If you want for more months you must return around the end of your prorroga and pay RD800 for an additional 3 months.
Note that the second time you must have your passport and a copy of your expire prorroga, you can make a photo copy at the reception area RD5. Make sure to have the photo copy before getting inline at cage #2.

Therefore this way you are a legal tourist but this is more costly than paying the fine when leaving
DR.Prorroga RD800 for 3months
Fine RD800 for up to close to 1 year I think?

XTraveller
I used to do as you excplained (go to the........,)not every 3 months though but only once and asked for a prorroga for 5 months(so I was paying for 4 to 6 months or something like that). Have they changed the law ????????????