Auto Crash Property Damage

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is the responsibility of the car insurer to make right the damage done to a house and property from a car crash? My sisters house was damage by a car that lost control and left the roadway. The driveway iron gate, sidewalk iron gate, support columns for the gates and the wall itself was damaged. The damage also included a crushed column that was supporting the principle house entryway patio roof as after crashing through the gates the car continued to the entryway.

It is our belief the insurance company should make all arrangements to repair all damage, not up to the home owner to look for engineers, iron workers, and provide damage estimates for the company. All that we should do is provide proof of ownership documentation. The lazy insurance company is trying to push us, the victims, to do its footwork. They send a check and a goodbye !!! Goodbye responsibility !!!

Any advice, what say you?

Regards,

PJT

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My advice would be to find your own engineer to make a quote to do the whole job. Else you don't know who you will get. IF they look for one, they will go for the cheapest option.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
if you cash that check its over. get an estimate like Mauricio says then talk to them. They want it out of there hair so they gave you a check that most likely will get it halfway corrected

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a luxury PJT to be able to select your workers....

I hate the Insurer to dictate to me where to go

WW thinks you are winning this one.... try not to blow the lead

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What is the responsibility of the car insurer to make right the damage done to a house and property from a car crash? My sisters house was damage by a car that lost control and left the roadway. The driveway iron gate, sidewalk iron gate, support columns for the gates and the wall itself was damaged. The damage also included a crushed column that was supporting the principle house entryway patio roof as after crashing through the gates the car continued to the entryway.

It is our belief the insurance company should make all arrangements to repair all damage, not up to the home owner to look for engineers, iron workers, and provide damage estimates for the company. All that we should do is provide proof of ownership documentation. The lazy insurance company is trying to push us, the victims, to do its footwork. They send a check and a goodbye !!! Goodbye responsibility !!!

Regards,

PJT

the insurance company does not have to do anything more than tabulating the damage their insured caused to your property, and paying you. they do not have to fix anything. they have no contract with you, so all they have to do is to make you whole.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
the insurance company does not have to do anything more than tabulating the damage their insured caused to your property, and paying you. they do not have to fix anything. they have no contract with you, so all they have to do is to make you whole.

So !!! What happens (not in this matter) if the owner is 89 yrs old and does not have energy and the resources to do anything? The insurance co can say tough luck, here's a check, fix it yourself. I doubt it.

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So !!! What happens (not in this matter) if the owner is 89 yrs old and does not have energy and the resources to do anything? The insurance co can say tough luck, here's a check, fix it yourself. I doubt it.

Regards,

PJT

maybe i am wrong, and you are right. after all, i spent a mere 30 years in the property damage business.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
maybe i am wrong, and you are right. after all, i spent a mere 30 years in the property damage business.
The Gorgon is correct and I can confirm that as I have been in the insurance industry since 1962 as an underwriter and later an adjuster, a function which I still fulfill these days for Lloyd's of London and other global insurers. The OP has no contractual or other relationship or obligation vis-?-vis the insurer of the other party's vehicle, therefore neither he nor the insurer is bound by any mutual liability or responsibility. In law, the injured party's only recourse is directly against the person who actually caused the damage. Insurers, the OP's or the driver's, will always go for their most convenient and/or economic exit, so what the OP really needs now is professional legal advice, perhaps eventually proper legal representation, and he would be prudent to go in that direction from the get go.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Gorgon is correct and I can confirm that as I have been in the insurance industry since 1962 as an underwriter and later an adjuster, a function which I still fulfill these days for Lloyd's of London and other global insurers. The OP has no contractual or other relationship or obligation vis-?-vis the insurer of the other party's vehicle, therefore neither he nor the insurer is bound by any mutual liability or responsibility. In law, the injured party's only recourse is directly against the person who actually caused the damage. Insurers, the OP's or the driver's, will always go for their most convenient and/or economic exit, so what the OP really needs now is professional legal advice, perhaps eventually proper legal representation, and he would be prudent to go in that direction from the get go.

thanks for clearing that up, Bryanell. part of the reason is because there is no contractual obligation in a third party situation. if John hits your car, and does 5000 dollars worth of damage, your legal course of action is against John, not his insurance carrier. the insurance carrier will pay the damage caused by John, in the event that he is not in violation of his contract with his carrier. besides, if John does 5000 dollars worth of damage to your car, and his carrier cuts you a check for that amount, they cannot tell you that you have to use the money to fix your car. you can blow it in Las Vegas, if you so desire. reciprocally, you cannot force them to fix your car, either. you have no contract with them.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
insurance companys are basically a bunch of thieves ....that want to charge you an arm and a leg for cover ...and when something happens ...they do everything in their power to get out of giving you anything
if you have a claim ...fight them tooth and nail and get as much as you can from them

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Well I have been a client of Colonial for over 12 years and I have never had a problem getting my claim paid in full.

Just my experience.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
insurance companys are basically a bunch of thieves ....that want to charge you an arm and a leg for cover ...and when something happens ...they do everything in their power to get out of giving you anything
if you have a claim ...fight them tooth and nail and get as much as you can from them

i have no idea where you guys get your misinformation about insurance from. i am not very familiar with the workings of Dominican insurance, but i know that in a place like the USA an insurance carrier cannot decline your claim without very good reasons. if they fail to pay in a timely fashion, the fines could be devastating.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Although the party that caused the damage is the one that should be sued, in the DR the plaintiff can also force the company that insured the car to intervene in the proceedings, so that the plaintiff may collect the award directly from the company.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Regards,

PJT

As another poster said, you are much better off hiring your own people so you know the job will be done right. Get an estimate of cost and submit as high of an amount as you can.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As another poster said, you are much better off hiring your own people so you know the job will be done right. Get an estimate of cost and submit as high of an amount as you can.

doesn?t work that way. they have physical damage appraisers whose job it is is to ascertain the amount of damage which exists. sending in a demand estimate is not workable, except for very small amounts.