Automated entry gates at SDQ this month. Later elsewhere

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...mputarizados-de-control-migratorio-en-el-aila

More immigration changes.....Korean company providing new equipment

Web transalation.....

Migration installs computerized immigration control equipment in the AILA

THEY WILL BE INSTALLED FIRST AT THE AILA AND THEN AT THE OTHER AIRPORT TERMINALS IN THE COUNTRY
The Directorate-General for migration is installing equipment documents of passengers check in the Airport International Las Americas (AILA), which seeks to facilitate the entry into the country to national travellers, and strengthen immigration controls on a national level.

In addition, the Department of communications of the institution said that the modern computerized equipment are installed by a company Korean, and possessing the same system software, cameras and autogate (automatic door) that will facilitate the entry of the Dominicans that guaranteeing an effective immigration control.

As explained, with the new equipment travelers won't have to work with the staff of migration inspectors, because if they are registered in the database biometric of the DGM, may make its entry and exit through that mechanism.

Readers of documents machines them are being installed in the halls of migration arrival and departure from the Las Americas airport.

The new immigration checks system will allow the institution significantly reduce staff who serves as inspector who regularly work in the work of checking documents of the passengers.

Prior to the installation of these machines, the Directorate-General for Migration put into effect a new biometric system of travelers checks, consisting in taking photography and fingerprints to each of them before entering the country.

Be said that the modern equipment will be installed first at the AILA and later at the other airport terminals in the country.

It transpired that the installation of the modern machines readers of documents the Dominican Republic is placed at the level of developed countries in terms of efficiency and immigration control at its airports.

Expected new teams to come into operation in the course of this month of February and be inaugurated by the director-general of the institution greater General Ruben Paulino Sem

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It says Korean.... in the press release......I thought

Yes, your link says it's the same as Global Entry..... EWR, JFK,

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The machines are only as good as the data that goes into them. I'm not holding my breath. I have to have my pic taken every other time I enter the country when the agent "can't find me in the system". Even though a quick glance in my passport shows I've entered the country many times since they started with the pictures and prints thing. (I am a resident)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The machines are only as good as the data that goes into them. I'm not holding my breath. I have to have my pic taken every other time I enter the country when the agent "can't find me in the system". Even though a quick glance in my passport shows I've entered the country many times since they started with the pictures and prints thing. (I am a resident)

Problem lies with the immigration officers here.....some good and some lax and they know it. And as such a the entry gate system would be good from an entry point of view once your information is in the system ad they have been collecting that for some 6 months at SDQ.

The procedure is described with photographs on the rhs of the page if you click on the link in post 2 (how to use SES auto gate). The only difference with DR immigration will be how they deal with departures and the overstay fee. In global entry destinations you do not pass through immigration on departure.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I use global entry in U.S. and as often as not I wind up with a big "X" on my receipt which means I have to stand in line for an agent anyway. Ultimately, for no reason. I suspect that at SDQ I will wait in line to use a machine and then still have to get in another line to see an agent. Care to wager ? :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I use global entry in U.S. and as often as not I wind up with a big "X" on my receipt which means I have to stand in line for an agent anyway. Ultimately, for no reason. I suspect that at SDQ I will wait in line to use a machine and then still have to get in another line to see an agent. Care to wager ? :)

I thought in the US even if you use such a system you still have to pass a second agent check.

I am guessing from the mention of auto gate DR is getting a different system perhaps as below.....

http://www.ses.go.kr/ses/SesUseStepR_en.ses

And they will be using their local immigration database and not the somewhat more elaborate system used by US Border Control tapped into networks globally.

I expect confusion at first and have two trips in and out of SDQ later this month so will be able to see how things develop.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So long as this country shares a border with Haiti, this new system :alien: will only make the trip a little longer for those people who are not allowed in through the airport arrivals.

Jan 9, 2004

The likely reason is biometric failure....otherwise known as....make sure you center and press when it asks you to place your right four fingers on the scanner.

That is the number 1 reason you are likely to receive the dreaded X and be forced to get in line for Immigration.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I have never had the 'X'... and if the m/c fails...
I get to jump first to the agent.... never a line

But I have seen people struggle w/ the system.....

I thought in the US even if you use such a system you still have to pass a second agent check.

I am guessing from the mention of auto gate DR is getting a different system perhaps as below.....

http://www.ses.go.kr/ses/SesUseStepR_en.ses

And they will be using their local immigration database and not the somewhat more elaborate system used by US Border Control tapped into networks globally.

I expect confusion at first and have two trips in and out of SDQ later this month so will be able to see how things develop.

Nope... no second agent.... straight through

I can hit the curb in 20 minutes from the plane door opening.... front row seats !!

It's a dream system...fully automated

Now, in RD... we'll see

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The likely reason is biometric failure....otherwise known as....make sure you center and press when it asks you to place your right four fingers on the scanner.

That is the number 1 reason you are likely to receive the dreaded X and be forced to get in line for Immigration.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Actually, the reason for the dreaded x is that an unusually large number of folk in the drug trade share the same last name as mine. That makes me subject to "random" checks even when I use global entry. I used to fly for an international airline so I am well versed in its use.
Incidently, that's also the reason it took me almost two years to renew my first residency in the D.R. Ultimately that was solved by spreading around a few pesos.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
So long as this country shares a border with Haiti, this new system :alien: will only make the trip a little longer for those people who are not allowed in through the airport arrivals.

That has to be a desperate last fling of the dice.

Yep you can fly Miami to Haiti for much less than to DR but....

.....the overland trip, roadblocks on both sides of the border...insecurity in Haiti, especially now....tougher border controls
and supposedly biometric checks......US$55 exit fee for tourist.....plenty of serious road block checks in DR checking your documents.

And for what? DR hasn't got there yet on half decent migration control at 5 out of 6 airports.

Jan 9, 2004
Actually, the reason for the dreaded x is that an unusually large number of folk in the drug trade share the same last name as mine. That makes me subject to "random" checks even when I use global entry. I used to fly for an international airline so I am well versed in its use.
Incidently, that's also the reason it took me almost two years to renew my first residency in the D.R. Ultimately that was solved by spreading around a few pesos.

Not much you can do about sharing the same name as some in the drug trade....except changing yours.

Supposedly they are updating the machines in the US because of so many biometric failures reading finger prints...and so many complaints on frequent flyer sites like flyertalk;

"Yet for all the enthusiasm, the program has been dogged by complaints from a vocal if tiny minority of members who have had trouble getting the scanners to read their prints. When this happens, the kiosk prints out an X. That printout allows the individual to cut any normal immigration line (or in some cases go to a special Global Entry problem line). But he or she must still be cleared by an agent like everyone else, rather than cruising straight through immigration altogether."

One can only hope SDQ buys the newer machines.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
From what the photographs of the unboxed equipment now in SDQ show us, the entry gates seem similar to those now being installed across the world including the USA and regionally Brazil.

The attached link includes recent articles of new airport installations and it looks like that this will become the norm for future airport departure and arrivals.

We need to get used to it.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/tag/e-gates/

Jan 9, 2004
From what the photographs of the unboxed equipment now in SDQ show us, the entry gates seem similar to those now being installed across the world including the USA and regionally Brazil.

The attached link includes recent articles of new airport installations and it looks like that this will become the norm for future airport departure and arrivals.

We need to get used to it.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.com/tag/e-gates/

I have been using it for two years now and it is especially helpful, not just at immigration....but in going through security at the airports.

You do not need to remove your shoes or belt or take your laptop out of its bag. Additionally, there are special and short lines through security for those with global entry, etc. It is worth every penny for those who fly frequently.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

first time I used global entry the took me out of line. same thing. I do not use it

Aug 6, 2006
I arrived on Jan 11, and got fingerprinted and photographed for the first time. It went smoothly, no problems.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Then you wont have any problems soon, the automatic entry will be for residents a and citizents only.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The dreaded big "X" is also a result if you have ever had your passport reported stolen.. After 30 odd years & 3 passport
renewals I get the "X" or yanked all the time entering the states, I've asked how to get off the list
and there is nothing that can be done they tell me. Have no idea how that will effect me entering here, time will tell.