Just retired to Cabarete; looking for next apartment

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Well, I finally retired in December and made my move to Cabarete last week. I?m pretty much all moved in now. I?m renting a studio apartment for $900 a month. It?s very nice and very safe ? 24 hour security. However, it is a little small. I paid my rent in full for the entire six-month lease, so in the next six months I?m going to be looking for a two-bedroom apartment starting sometime in August. I have many friends and family members in the States who want to come and visit, so I want the extra bedroom so they have a place to stay. I would be willing to sign a six-month lease, possibly even a one-year lease, rent paid in full up front. I would like to stay under $1,000 USD a month; however, for the right place, I would be willing to go as high $1,200 a month. I have six months so there?s no hurry. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I paid my rent in full for the entire six-month lease, so in the next six months rent paid in full up front. I would like to stay under $1,000 USD a month;

Don't ever do that again... Ever. You pay one month at a time.

Your best best for finding places are the Everything Cabarete, and Everything Sosua Facebook pages. Just post what you are looking for and every agent and person with a property from here to hell and back will reply to you.

$900 for a studio seems really, really high, unless it is luxury and ocean front. Rental prices are pretty cheap, and I have seen them decrease quite a bit on the last couple years. There are some great deals out there. You could find a 4-5 bedroom villa for $1,200 a month, if you are patient enough.

Never take the advertised price! The monthly rate for long term is about what they are asking for weekly as a vacation rental. Seeing as you have six months, explore the area, make some connections, and find out where you want to be. You're probably better off looking in May or June, as prices will be less because it is no longer the high season.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Welcome to retirement in Cabarete,paradise has its quirks but the hassles are well worth the benefits!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I’m renting a studio apartment for $900 a month ... I would like to stay under $1,000 USD a month; however, for the right place, I would be willing to go as high $1,200 a month.
That seems a huge amount to pay. Surely you can get a lot cheaper than that? I rent a large three-bedroom apartment in Puerto Plata for less than US$250 a month. This week I learned that my neighbour upstairs is only paying US$180 for an identical apartment. I appreciate that for younger and sporty gringos Cabarete is preferable, but that seems a huge discrepancy.

You have six months. I am sure you can find what you want for under US$500.

As for paying the whole amount upfront, are you out of your mind? This is the DR!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
$900 is a lot for a studio in Cabarete, so I guess it must be right on the beach, where prices are much higher. You can get a much better deal if you go just a little further away from the sea.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
we rent out a furnished house for 950 a month 1500 sq foot not including outdoor kitchen.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
nothing wrong with paying it all up front, I would not chastise the man for it. makes thinks easy

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for all of the replies. In response, yes, I was well aware that $900 for a studio apartment seemed very high; however, the reason I took it was at the time, I was only here on my annual two-week vacation and I really didn't have time to look around; I had already rented the place on vacation here several times before, so I had dealt with the property manager before, and it was well within my budget. Also, yes, it is located on the beach and it is quite luxurious.

I know I can probably find something much cheaper further away from the beach; however, as I mentioned before, I have many friends and family members who want to come visit me and I'm pretty sure that they would prefer not to stay in the "hood." They're going to be here on vacation so if I have to pay a little more to be accommodating to them, that's what I'm prepared to do. They're stay here with me is very important to me so I want them to be as comfortable as possible.

Jan 17, 2009
You should be able to negotiate a long-term lease for a 2-bedroom on the beach for that kind of money if you're not too picky, and don't expect to be right at the center of town (maybe towards Cabarete East, or towards Bozo Beack (a place like Royal Residence, while not on the beach, just 1/2 block away). I agree with others that your best bet for looking for a place is to read the zillion rental posts that appear every day on the closed group Everything Cabarete in Facebook. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/everythingcabaretemag/ There is another one with similar name, but this is the one you want.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All the advice given here is spot on, but one stands out to me. Wait until after the high season to look. May or after is about right.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Have friends in Costambar, a closed community not far from POP. The rent two bed two bath condo adjacent to the beach for $650US a month and pay as they go. Lots of Americans, Canadians, and Brits have made it their home or do extended stays there. Everything you need is within easy walking distance and their is a high profile police presence yet.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
nothing wrong with paying it all up front, I would not chastise the man for it. makes thinks easy

I strongly disagree. By paying it all up front you lose your ability to hold the rent over there head when something needs fixing.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Have friends in Costambar, a closed community not far from POP. The rent two bed two bath condo adjacent to the beach for $650US a month and pay as they go. Lots of Americans, Canadians, and Brits have made it their home or do extended stays there. Everything you need is within easy walking distance and their is a high profile police presence yet.

I have been to Costambar. It was actually a very close second when I decided on a place to live here. The deciding factor for me was that I already had friends in Cabarete who also retired before me. If I can get out to Costambar in the next few months and get to know some people, that may very well be where I decide to go. Thanks.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have been to Costambar. It was actually a very close second when I decided on a place to live here. The deciding factor for me was that I already had friends in Cabarete who also retired before me. If I can get out to Costambar in the next few months and get to know some people, that may very well be where I decide to go. Thanks.

Congrats on your retirement. The only thing I'd add is that you might consider taking some time to explore other areas, now that you have a home base. Cabrera, LT, Bavaro, Santiago, and other spots are also very pleasant places to spend your time. There's plenty of rental stock available, particularly in the summer months, so you have tons of flexibility.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Congrats on your retirement. The only thing I'd add is that you might consider taking some time to explore other areas, now that you have a home base. Cabrera, LT, Bavaro, Santiago, and other spots are also very pleasant places to spend your time. There's plenty of rental stock available, particularly in the summer months, so you have tons of flexibility.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

Thanks, I really do plan on doing that. I was in Bavaro the first time I was in the DR. Obviously with all of the AI's it's a very nice vacation spot, but it didn't seem to impress me as a good retirement spot. That was several years ago, though, so, a second look would be in order.

A friend of mine back home has an apartment in Santiago that he keeps for vacations. He's going to be visiting me here at the end of the month, so I'll get my first look at Santiago soon.

I would love to go to Las Terrenas but I haven't met anyone from there yet. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, thanks again.