all inclusive vs. flight and acc.

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Hi all, i am coming out in march for another two weeks and have been looking at air fares and hotels. I had wanted to get a flight then get a hotel this time. I plan one more visit after this then a 3 month scouting trip to see if the DR is the place for me.
This problem is, it is hard to get a good flight price from the UK. Then the cost of accomodation on top makes it not feasible really. The best price I have got is ?329 for a flight.
How much am i looking at for accomodation in the North for two weeks. Maybe with a pool, near the beach. And which hotels would you recommend.
You see i have just seen a deal on the internet for a 4* all inclusive in the north for 2 weeks for ?699. So you see the problem, it works out better value really. I think this could be a problem for independant travellers. Its hard to resist free grub and booze AND accommodation for less than a FLIGHT AND ACCOMODATION.

Am i wrong here?

Jay

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wel, i can just speak for myself, but i would never even consider to go to an all inclusive. I would rather stay at home ! If you check a little, I think you will find several inexpencive accomodation in Sosua.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Package deals are almost always cheaper than independent travel. The drawback is that they are ususally for one week stays from the USA. I don't know about the UK. Certain times of the year it is possible to search and find better deals yourself. It takes lots of time and energy but can be worth the effort. Sometimes I purchase the one week package even though I am staying loner and then change my return flight date. This costs between 50 to 75 US dollars and I still come out ahead. Remember that right now travel prices are unpredictable and what might be true one day can change the next. Going to the North coast you should be able to find some fantastic prices because travel to the North is lower than the rest of the destinations. Good Luck

richard

Jan 1, 2002
JayUKcomingtoDR said:
Hi all, i am coming out in march for another two weeks and have been looking at air fares and hotels. I had wanted to get a flight then get a hotel this time. I plan one more visit after this then a 3 month scouting trip to see if the DR is the place for me.
This problem is, it is hard to get a good flight price from the UK. Then the cost of accomodation on top makes it not feasible really. The best price I have got is ?329 for a flight.
How much am i looking at for accomodation in the North for two weeks. Maybe with a pool, near the beach. And which hotels would you recommend.
You see i have just seen a deal on the internet for a 4* all inclusive in the north for 2 weeks for ?699. So you see the problem, it works out better value really. I think this could be a problem for independant travellers. Its hard to resist free grub and booze AND accommodation for less than a FLIGHT AND ACCOMODATION.

Am i wrong here?
I always suggest Hotel Tropix in Sosua, it's reasonable , has a nice pool and is close to every thing. You can check the web site for prices www.tropixhotel.com

By staying at an independent hotel you will possibly get a better feel for the community than staying at an AI.

Jay

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
AI VS ACC +FLT

I take all ur points. I know that i would get a true feel for the place staying in local hotels.
Richard, i have taken down that address and will contact them for prices, unless you know them already? cheers mate.
Dulce, do u do that often, because that seems like the perfect way of doing it. 2weeks AI then maybe a week local and extend the flight. I'll check into it.
Tor, i dont know where you live mate, but it must be better than where i live, in the UK for you to say that!
What about Punta Cana? info anyone?

jay

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Jay

The reason you are coming is to check out if you want to live here. With this in mind, perhaps you would be better served making the $$ investment now (very small, really) and pay the extra. See what it is LIKE to use everything that you will depend on if you move here. Buy groceries, go to different restaurants and see what it costs you. Try to meet people that live here, make friends, try your hand at spanish, ...

You already know all this, but thought you might need a reminder given your questions.

If you are going to spend the $$ to find out what it is like here, then make sure that you find out what it is like here!@!

marc

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jay
No, I'm from Norway, so it's even colder than UK. Just returned from my second Sosua vacation this winter. Had total 4 fantastic weeks there, traveling independent. Since i know pretty well what the all inclusives in Sosua goes for, i would never even dream of that kind of holliday.
I don't know how the charter systems works in UK, but here in Norway you can by just a seat on a charter plane, without buying a hotel package.

Last edited:

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Tor

Hi mate, yeh i was in sosua in December, it was great. I did stay at the casa marine reef resort, but the thing i liked was that it wasnt enclosed and you could just wander off and do your own thing in town.
Which we did every day.
The charter flights are the same here. But as i say they are expensive to the DR just now. The cheapest flight i have seen is ?369, dont know what that is in Norweigan money, but with the accomodation on top when i get there, it would work out more expansive than getting an AI and getting out and about.
But I am going to do it independant anyway. I have taken the advice of my learned friends in here. It is the best way to see the place. Which hotel did you stay at mate? How much did it cost?

jay

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jay
I stayed at Hotel Don Andres, i payed 350$ for 2 weeks in an appartment with bedrom,bathroom and combined kitchen/livingroom. It's a small hotel next to Casa Marina, they have a pool, and bar/rest. with very good atmosphere.
For me that turnes out much cheaper than a package at Casa Marina. (Ok i guess thats depends of how much you eat/drinks)
But for me that's no alternative. I have earlier stayed at Casa Marina as a non inclusive guest (that was optional before) What i saw then has made me determined of never stay at an all inclusive resort.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
369 pounds, wish I could get a ticket that cheap...on my little currency converter that's $521USD, cheapest from Colorado that I have seen is $751.00.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
flights

My sister in law just bought return air only from Saskatoon, SK(Canada) for $600CDN, which is about $400US....seat sale though, but good deal nonetheless.

marc