Multi-City Trip (Advice?)

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
Hello,

I was planning on visiting Santo Domingo for a volleyball tournament, but the event was moved and hosted in the US for whatever reason, but I still want to visit DR. So I decided to come for my birthday anyways.

I booked my hotels already (free cancellation) and this is my plan:

Fly into Puerto Plata.
3 night stay in hotel in Sosua.
Then take a bus (metro?) from Sosua to Santo Domingo.
2 night stay in Santo Domingo
Then take a bus (Bavaro?) from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana.
2 night stay in Punta Cana.

Fly out of Punta Cana.

My budget can be increased slightly, to stay another day. Does this sound like a good idea? I will be traveling with my friend, who is fluent in Spanish, while I can understand a lot and speak enough spanish to get by. We are young, both single for what it matters. I'm male, traveling with a girl.

This sounded like a good way to see DR as a whole. I don't exactly want a 5-night stay exclusively on the resort in Punta Cana.

Any advice or tips are appreciated! Thank you. I have not booked my flight yet and can change my dates.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I did this the last time I was there in 2011. On that 3 night stay in Sosua, I would do a night trip to Santiago. Maybe too much but worth it.

Good luck

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
grab the bull by the horns and go for it ....get out of the A1'S and see the countryside ...it can be beautifull and you speak Spanish ...what you got to lose

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Workable itinerary.

You said you are young and travelling with a female companion. Why Sosua therefore? Cabarete next door might be better for you........unless you and your friend have read up and want to see Sosua nightlife.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Workable itinerary.

You said you are young and travelling with a female companion. Why Sosua therefore? Cabarete next door might be better for you........unless you and your friend have read up and want to see Sosua nightlife.

I feel like Sosua is a cheaper place to party. Maybe that's the reason.

@ OP Enjoy your trip

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Sounds like a good plan all around to me. Would be nice If you posted a quick review when you get home.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you might be disappointed with party time in Sos?a. Cabarete, just down the road, is geared for younger set. Really.

Of course, I agree with a night and day in Santiago. A whole different world. More like the real DR.

And the whole idea of getting around by bus is excellent.

Your bus service to Punta Cana will have to be Expreso B?varo, since the syndicates have kept Metro and Caribe Tours out of the East.
But that is a minor detail. And many of the Bavaro buses are quite comfortable.

HB

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
I think you might be disappointed with party time in Sos?a. Cabarete, just down the road, is geared for younger set. Really.

Of course, I agree with a night and day in Santiago. A whole different world. More like the real DR.

And the whole idea of getting around by bus is excellent.

Your bus service to Punta Cana will have to be Expreso B?varo, since the syndicates have kept Metro and Caribe Tours out of the East.
But that is a minor detail. And many of the Bavaro buses are quite comfortable.

HB

I'll have to check into the hotel prices in Cabarete vs. Sosua. If it's not that significant of a difference, I'll make the switch.

My friend is more into the party scene than I, but I am adventurous and still excited to see the nightlife. To I'm I am not really interested in the ladies either if you get my drift, but it is not really advertised on my forehead. I told a Uber driver here in the states of my DR plans, and he told me all the girls in Sosua would be all over me. I just went along with it, lol. I saw that Sosua was cheaper, so that was a main reason I booked there.

When you say Santiago, you are referring to Santiago up near the North Coast, not by Santo Domingo?

Thanks again!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

I was planning on visiting Santo Domingo for a volleyball tournament, but the event was moved and hosted in the US for whatever reason, but I still want to visit DR. So I decided to come for my birthday anyways.

I booked my hotels already (free cancellation) and this is my plan:

Fly into Puerto Plata.
3 night stay in hotel in Sosua.
Then take a bus (metro?) from Sosua to Santo Domingo.
2 night stay in Santo Domingo
Then take a bus (Bavaro?) from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana.
2 night stay in Punta Cana.

Fly out of Punta Cana.

My budget can be increased slightly, to stay another day. Does this sound like a good idea? I will be traveling with my friend, who is fluent in Spanish, while I can understand a lot and speak enough spanish to get by. We are young, both single for what it matters. I'm male, traveling with a girl.

This sounded like a good way to see DR as a whole. I don't exactly want a 5-night stay exclusively on the resort in Punta Cana.

Any advice or tips are appreciated! Thank you. I have not booked my flight yet and can change my dates.

I would swap Sosua for Cabarate. Sosua is not the place for night life when you are already travelling with a partner. Cabarate would probably be a better choice for your age group. You find a younger windsurfing crowd in Cabarate.