Market in Juan Dolio?

ebergg

Feb 8, 2016
Hello , i'll be staying at Caribe Paraiso in Juan Dolio for a week in April , is there a market within walking distance?

Thanks in advance

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Hello , i'll be staying at Caribe Paraiso in Juan Dolio for a week in April , is there a market within walking distance?
This site may help you: http://www.juandolioliving.com/juan-dolio-map/
you may download a pdf copy. Probably is reasonably up to date, but there may have been changes since last made.

In Plaza Luna (a small shopping center) there is/was one. It is just east of the big resort Costa Caribe, about 1 KM (2/3 of a mile) east of your hotel. There may or may not be others closer to you.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Thanks in advance

If you ask the staff at Caribe Paraiso they will be familiar with the area.
If you plan on doing a lot of the cooking yourself ask about hiring a local taxi to take you to San Pedro. Ask them to take you to Iberia supermarket. It would be worth the trip for major supplies.
The prices in town will be much more expensive. You will pay for the convenience of shopping in Juan Dolio. The local markets are OK for a few purchases.
The link in the above post lists a few of the smaller markets in JD.

Canaduck

Feb 17, 2016

Immediately across the street from Caribe Paraiso is Naito's store where you can buy some groceries for breakfast/lunch... the trucks pass by daily & often selling fruits & veggies... and the restaurants within a block or 2 of the apartment hotel are affordable so eat dinner out. The suites are not that well equipped in terms of cooking utensils for clients staying a week vs clients staying several weeks/months.

Also, there are street vendors that sell fresh fruit (mangos, papaya, oranges, and avocadoes) with their wheelbarrows...

You can catch a bus to San Pedro that takes you in front of the JUMBO supermarket. Don't go to Iberia... it's a ZOO. Jumbo is clean, spacious, and you'll find many of the brand name food products from home.

Bring bug spray with you...

See you on the beach... I'll be there for a weeks during your stay.

cheers

Canaduck

Feb 17, 2016
You can catch a bus to San Pedro that takes you in front of the JUMBO supermarket. Don't go to Iberia... it's a ZOO. Jumbo is clean, spacious, and you'll find many of the brand name food products from home.
cheers

PS ... I always ask the driver to take me as close to JUMBO as possible and he drops me off in front of the building, as it's the end of the run. Most of the peeps on the bus get off by the time you stop at the University.

Then I grab a taxi back for 300 pesos.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Naito's is closed (undergoing some major construction) as of February 2016. My guess is it will re-open. There is another Colmado just a few step away on the corner of the Boulevard. I feel like I get gringo prices there, though. If you cross the Boulevard, there is a market with necessities that has real cash registers and fair prices. Booze, cigarettes, food, etc. This is just steps from the Caribe Paraiso. There are big supermarkets in San Pedro, notably Iberia and Jumbo. Jumbo is the fancier of the two and has imported goods, etc. Iberia is the practical choice for locals. Both have everything you could want as they are department stores. The small restaurant at Caribe Paraiso has good food and great coffee. You will like it there.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Both Canaduck and Dreamer are correct. Jumbo is a better choice for tourists. Their advice is solid.
Iberia came to mind for me because I was a resident of JD.

Canaduck

Feb 17, 2016
Naito's is closed (undergoing some major construction) as of February 2016. ....
The small restaurant at Caribe Paraiso has good food and great coffee. You will like it there.

Thanks for the info. Was not aware Naito's is closed. Is Tetsuhiro Naito still providing Internet Service?

I agree, the small restaurant (Gemelli?) behind Caribe Paraiso run by Mario, the good looking Italian dude, is pretty good but I prefer Oreste located on sea side, a few doors down from the Caribe Paraiso.

I'm also fond of El Sueno in terms of restaurants in the immediate area and find myself rotating between the 3 restaurants.

cheers!

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Not sure since I got my Internet from Paraiso (whose access has been upgraded and no longer requires constant logging in). Tetshuro is around so my guess is ya, his service is probably still running. I very robust steel structure was being constructed at Naito - a frame for a canopy on the patio I assume, so I think a newly renovated Naito's is on the way. Half the retail space in that building has been rented to the Italians from Paraiso and they have opened Martini Bar in the nicely renovated space. It is a bar and restaurant but I haven't eaten there. My guess is the food is prepared across the street by Gemelli's.

Another supermarket in San Pedro that is very convenient is Zaglul. Before I got familiar with San Pedro I always went there because it is right on the main drag after crossing the bridge, making it impossible to get lost if you are driving yourself. You go halfway around the rotary after the bridge (i.e., straight through) and Zaglul is about 8 blocks up your left. They have everything you need, including cell phone shops, Western Union, and 3 different ATM's. Typically I go to Iberia because that's what my novia prefers. I think prices are the most competitive there although I haven't really compared. Plenty of options in San Pedro, but as noted, one has to get himself there and back.

If you do drive to San Pedro and you are a bit adventurous, check out the Malecon in the evening for a real Dominican Experience.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Naito's Market is gone for good. The whole space is now an expanded version of the Martini Bar and Restaurant. Naito's Internet access service is gone too. I will miss Naito's as a place to sip a beer and have a smoke, but as far as markets go it was lacking anyway. Cross the Boulevard at lights and the market there is the best in the immediate area.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
FYI: The Iberia in San Pedro mentioned in this thread burned down. It will be rebuilt, but that will take some time. If you trek to San Pedro, go to Jumbo or Zaglul.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If you will make a big shopping better go to Jumbo, in Juan Dolio area everything is arround 25.00 pesos more expensive than real price, even you pay for a taxi you will be saving money. Only buy in Juandolio missing stuffs.