Update and Report on Basura Para Comida in Las Terrenas

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Our first cleanup and family food project in barrio El Manantial was a big success-

Two full truck-loads of basura (100+ large bags) were collected by the neighborhood families in exchange for buckets of food (rice, beans, sardines, etc.... value 800 pesos).

Children were also paid in pesos for collecting recyclable glass and plastic bottles.

The families were so grateful for the food and the kids are still collecting bottles!

Thanks to everyone on DR1 who supported me and my idea-
We are holding the second event on Feb 29 and the interim Mayor wants to replicate in other barrios-
:)susan

Please click this link to view an amazing video by Colin Olmstead--
[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/32e954qnppmfve3/BPC.mp4?dl=0[/video]

I also have wonderful pictures posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/LTSusanMille/media_set?set=a.10154014534214271.1073741849.61467 9270&type=3&pnref=story

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Our first cleanup and family food project in barrio El Manantial was a big success-

Two full truck-loads of basura (100+ large bags) were collected by the neighborhood families in exchange for buckets of food (rice, beans, sardines, etc.... value 800 pesos).

Children were also paid in pesos for collecting recyclable glass and plastic bottles.

The families were so grateful for the food and the kids are still collecting bottles!

We are holding the second event on Feb 29 and the interim Mayor wants to replicate in other barrios-

https://www.facebook.com/LTSusanMille/media_set?set=a.10154014534214271.1073741849.61467 9270&type=3&pnref=story

The DR land is thanking you for this!

So too am i!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I hope you don't mind Susan, but I had to share your video and story on my social media pages. It makes me happy to see people as are in the video making a difference in peoples lives.. I think what you put together was wonderful, and applaud your kindness and compassion for humanity. I wish more people in the world had your heart.. Bless you..

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So nice to see your project was very successful!
Keep up the good work. Your approach and your teachings are excellent.
Good luck on your next event.
Also it is great that the mayor took notice as to how well your idea worked!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Well done, congratulations. Shows some of us (me included) where there is a will there is a way. Again best to you and your project!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Susan:

Bien hecha!!!! Congratulations on a job well done. Certainly a win win.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Great job Susan! We always have so many people at home that want to help by sending stuff to the DR and I always try to convince them to look for other ways to help instead. What a wonderful win win project you've created! Any chance any media has picked up the story? Would love to share the story/pictures as an encouragement to others - and for whatever reason it seems to have more weight if it's not just me telling the story! (comes from telling too many sob stories perhaps?!)

Aug 6, 2006
Is there a place to recycle the plastic? I know that there deposit on beer bottles.
This is a great idea, and I congratulate you.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Can I suggest that you set up a web link where people who are interested can donate for your next event? Like a GoFundMe page? Sorry if this already exists and I've missed the link.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
A side note, the title of your post "basura para comida" roughly means trash FOR eating that is trash to be eaten or used as meal.
You probably wanted to write basura por comida (garbage in exchange for food).

Sounds like a great idea, which is working well.

I suppose one way in which your system could be exploited if by taking garbage from dumpsters or streets garbage cans to exchange it for food, as opposed to CLEANING the streets by picking up litter, which is what you probably have in mind. Not saying anyone is actually doing it, but it is certainly a possibility.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, Paul--
Right now I will continue to personally fund the clean-up events in El Manantial because:
1. there are many other organizations trying to fund their own worthy projects and I don't want to step on their toes! ;)
2. I am TERRIBLE at math and if I collect donations, I would have to keep track of who-gave-what..
3. I am VERY GOOD at saying "thank you" and would worry I missed acknowledging someone..

So.... I'll keep paying for it myself!

Our next project this month will be "Basura 4 Baseball".... watch for the announcement..and thanks again!
:) susan