Emergency landing at PUJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We live right next to the airport and I am sure I heard this plane coming in to land at that time (7:30 pm). The engine noise was louder than usual or it flew closer to us than usual.

From today's news:
Flight to Moscow makes emergency landing at PUJ
A B777 jet bound to Moscow had to make an emergency landing at Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) yesterday evening, Wednesday 10 February 2016 after the pilot detected engine problems and loss of fuel. All 351 passengers and 20 crew members on board Orenair flight R2554 were evacuated in the preventive operation, as reported in Diario Libre. The tourists were returned to their hotels, getting at least one extra day out of the cold.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...unta-cana-no-se-reportan-lesionados-XY2706572

Feb 7, 2007
http://avherald.com/h?article=493c6485&opt=0
An Orenair Boeing 777-200, registration VP-BHB performing flight R2-554 from Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) to Moscow Domodedovo (Russia) with 355 passengers and 20 crew, was climbing out of Punta Cana's runway 08 when the crew stopped the climb at about 12,000 feet reported they needed to shut an engine (PW4090) down and were returning to Punta Cana. The aircraft entered a hold at 4000 feet for about 20 minutes then landed on runway 08. During roll out a tyre burst, sparks and smoke were seen from the landing gear prompting the crew to initiate the evacuation of the aircraft. There were no injuries.

The airline reported they decided to award the pilots for safely returning the aircraft in a difficult situation. Climbing through about 6000 meters (editorial note: radar data show the aircraft stopped climb at about 12,000 feet or 3680 meters) there was a "clap" sound, an engine failed and smoke developed in the cabin. The engine was shut down, the smoke ceased. During landing there were sparks and smoke from the landing gear which prompted the crew to initiate an evacuation via the slides. The aircraft had been checked before departure from Moscow Domodedovo to Punta Cana and has again been checked in Punta Cana before departure. Following the return the aircraft underwent and passed heavy landing checks and maintenance with Lufthansa Technics at Punta Cana. As of present the occurrence is under investigation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Since i read the dumping idea....
I cannot get the image out of my head

Big, fat tourist on the beach at Punta Cana
Beer in hand, Lighting up his new cigar.......

KABOOOOM !!! Straw fedora brim ignites........

Inappropriate, I know..... I just giggle every time, nevertheless
hehehe

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Actually they didn't dump fuel hence the overweight landing and burst all the mainwheels. Gonna be a big recovery for my colleagues in PUJ. Engine change, wheels x 12, brakes x 12, NDT on the gear legs. Ooooh the overtime! Ker-ching!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
And they dumped some 80 tons of fuel in the ocean...jummmm

HB

It did not dump in the ocean, they were circling above the DR, see this map:

2102016PlaneCreditFlightRadar24.jpg

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The relatively new aircraft do not have provision for dumping fuel. You fly at the lowest possible altitude you can where fuel flow is highest then land as soon as you have burned down to max landing weight. How ever if you only have one engine working. The sensible thing to do is opt for the over weight landing. Hence the popped tire.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Actually they didn't dump fuel hence the overweight landing and burst all the mainwheels. Gonna be a big recovery for my colleagues in PUJ. Engine change, wheels x 12, brakes x 12, NDT on the gear legs. Ooooh the overtime! Ker-ching!

By chance did you ever work out of JFK, back in the day for Pan Am or Delta ?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I've been in a couple of situations where we had to dump fuel back on the older planes where the weight would have made a landing unlikely to be successful.
Studies had shown that most of the fuel is atomised in the upper air and does not fall to earth as actual fuel but is dispersed over a huge area.

In these enlightened days of green planet thinking,it is now necessary to compare the ecological impacts of dumping fuel into the atmosphere as against the pollution caused by a 250 ton burning plane with a few hundred burning people inside.

Tricky.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Most of the larger airplanes have a maximum takeoff weight which is higher than the maximum landing weight. In earlier days, when engines weren't as reliable as they are now, an engine failure was most likely to occur during the takeoff portion of the flight when the engine was producing the highest thrust. Consequently, the planes were designed to be able to dump fuel rapidly in order to get back down to landing weight as quickly as possible. These days engines are no more likely to fail at takeoff than at any other portion of the flight. For that reason, and environmental concerns, airplanes are no longer designed to be able to dump fuel. The idea is that if you need to return to your takeoff airport either all your engines are working or not all your engines are working. If all the engines are working, you fly around at low altitude to rapidly burn off fuel down to your landing weight. If an engine has failed the airplanes are designed to withstand an overweight landing but even without any signs of damage after the landing, they must undergo a thorough (read expensive) inspection.

To this day airports have designated, but hardly ever used, areas for aircraft to "circle" in a large racetrack pattern while they are dumping or burning off fuel. The areas are over sparsely or unpopulated areas where there will be the least impact. Dumping or burning fuel has about the same impact. Either way you are leaving a couple of tons of atomized hydrocarbons in the atmosphere.