Good jobs in the Dominican Republic, is it Posible?

FMPENA

Jan 24, 2002
Here's the question, you go to a ggod college, in the Dominican Republic, like a PUCMM, UNPHU, INTEC, your're from a middle class family that has some ties with "big connections" and when you graduate you can't find a decent paying job. Now the question, How good are the colleges in the Dominican Republic?
Do they really prepare you for the real world?
Do they analize that the market demand should always be different than the country necesities?
Is their really a real opportunity for the college grads?
With all this in mind and probably even more to add, what do you think should be the reason that it is really hard to find a good decent paying job in the Dominican Republic?.

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
I have met many men there...

without college educations that have taught themselves three and four languages... even one that speaks five.

Bilingual persons are paid very much money in the US, even when they lack common sense!

These "self taught men" are living in nice middle class houses, and have worked hard. Something that men and women must do - whatever country that they come from.... no matter their education.

I wonder as an older person, one who didn't get a job full of money - right after graduating from 2 American colleges (6 years), what makes any student, from any country, think they have the right - to it *all* at once?

Education is a tool, not a guarantee or warranty, but that, and 2 cents won't even get you a cup of coffee, eh?

just my thoughts, susan

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Good jobs.

Hard to say. People tend to believe that they could always do better. What exactly do you mean by good job? I mean, if I was a high-paid traveling journalist for World's Best Spas I could still think that I could do better :D

And yes, it's hard but not impossible. You could find a good job, provided that you a)have patience, b)you do not give up the search, c)have something that the market needs. If you are a rocket scientist then no matter how much patience you have or for how long your search your chances of getting a good job are nil.

But if you are living outside the country (and I think I read that you are) I see no way how you will get a job, let alone a good job without being here.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
bilingual jobs?

In the midwest, I haven't found bilingual jobs to be well-paying. For example, I was offered a job at the municipal courts as an interpreter. Below poverty wage. Bilingual positions with some attorneys (sorry KenoshaChris) were also in that range. Move to Minneapolis, about 3 times as much pay as in Milwaukee. Unfortunately, at least up here in Wisconsin, they seem to want to get the "bilingual" part for free. It's always "useful" in the want ad, but the key to getting the job. We have many immersion and or bilingual schools here. Teachers' pay is not the best either even with an extra language added on. Enough griping.
Chris Colon, Pib, thank goodness there are some words that are not used on a resume :)
I just remember the cab driver in Santo Domingo. He had a degree and worked as a technician for quite a while. He found he could make more driving a cab. So he does. A true Dominican entrepreneur.
mk

mistyjade

Jun 30, 2004
Any tradesman jobs?

Is there often jobs available for pipefitter/steam/gasfitters or welders? Will trade working at home in the cold for making less$ where it's warm :cheeky:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There needs to be a sticky thread here for people asking about work in the DR.

There are no good jobs here, for the bad ones, line up behind the Haitians.

For the college graduates, go to another country if you want to get paid for it, that's what Dominicans are doing.

For the entrepeneurs and the self-employed, you have a better chance than those wanting someone else to guarantee your salary, but bring your vaseline, you will need it untill you learn the ropes, which nothing but experience can teach you.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
You sound like my father. Is it really that bad? My situation is so very different, I grew up in America and formed a family here so going back home was out of the question as my husband is not dominican; but are typical educated dominicans leaving the country for real? Wow, that's pretty sad.

MrMike said:
For the college graduates, go to another country if you want to get paid for it, that's what Dominicans are doing.

mistyjade

Jun 30, 2004
Thanks

MrMike said:
There needs to be a sticky thread here for people asking about work in the DR.

There are no good jobs here, for the bad ones, line up behind the Haitians.

For the entrepeneurs and the self-employed, you have a better chance than those wanting someone else to guarantee your salary, but bring your vaseline, you will need it untill you learn the ropes, which nothing but experience can teach you.

MrMike,
Thanks for the good kick in the reality pants. Apparently I needed it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
A lot of people on DR1 don't seem to understand about jobs in the DR.

A few months ago I posted an assistant job opening paying RD$9000/month part time.. and got laughed at by several people here.. But the reality is that in Santiago its an exceptionally well paid job with great working conditions and now I have a top notch dominican working with me.

Instead of some gringo that expects 5X as much for lower quality work.

project9

May 29, 2004
Sure 9k pesos is a good salary ... for a 12th grade student.

FMPENA it is like this: system engeneering students are still being taught computer languages that became obsolete more than 10 years ago. Education here sucks, so do most "professionals". If you want a good job start making the right connections ... and send me a pm when you do so you can pass along my resume.

project9

May 29, 2004
adrianb said:
A lot of people on DR1 don't seem to understand about jobs in the DR.

What don't they understand? That because of the crisis and the need for money to support your family most of us dominicans go thru times that makes us take the first job that comes across?

The salary you are paying is crap, the fact that someone who needs the money took the job makes no difference.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
project9 said:
What don't they understand? That because of the crisis and the need for money to support your family most of us dominicans go thru times that makes us take the first job that comes across?

The salary you are paying is crap, the fact that someone who needs the money took the job makes no difference.

You clearly have *no* idea of what you're talking about. How many part time assistants have you hired in Santiago?

When I ran an ad in the paper, I had 53 responses in 3 days. For this "crap" salary.

The person I now have is fantastic, and I could easily get several more just like her for the same rate, and probably less, because it is relatively high for the work.

This particular person is extremely well connected in Santiago, and could easily get any job she wanted. She's definitely not working because she's "desperate" - her husband works fulltime earning USD outside the DR.

project9

May 29, 2004
Suuuure US$190 is such a good pay. And the fact that many people are in dire need of money and would take such a pay is the proof that US$190 is almost a luxury salary ... right adrianb?

tjy

Oct 15, 2003
adrianb said:
When I ran an ad in the paper, I had 53 responses in 3 days. For this "crap" salary.

The person I now have is fantastic, and I could easily get several more just like her for the same rate, and probably less, because it is relatively high for the work.

This particular person is extremely well connected in Santiago, and could easily get any job she wanted. She's definitely not working because she's "desperate" - her husband works fulltime earning USD outside the DR.

I agree. Even though salaries seem too low in this country, I know quite a few people in Santiago who would be more than happy to earn 9K part-time.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
project9 said:
Suuuure US$190 is such a good pay. And the fact that many people are in dire need of money and would take such a pay is the proof that US$190 is almost a luxury salary ... right adrianb?

Oh, so we're switching to USD now? Well if your rent (including all utilities) is $64/month, $190/month part time is pretty good.

In case you forgot, the DR is a 3rd world country. But it seems you're in the USA, so you're a bit out of touch with the reality here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some reality

A top notch cigar supervisor might make 2500 or 3000 pesos a week. He would supervise 12 rollers.

A recent college graduate with an Industrial Engineering degree will get about 12-14,000 a month to start. If he develops, he can go for a whole lot mre in a few years and in dollars.

It costs $15 dollars to play a round of golf with a caddy at the local golf club..

AdrianB is paying his part time assistant very well, for this time and this place.

HB

Dasching

May 21, 2004
It doesn't matter if anyone here thinks that salary is too low. The facts are:

1. A qualified employee was happy with that salary and took the job.
2. He offered a job.
3. Every working person adds to the economy.

If more entrepreneurs enter the DR for the cheap labor then the DR will be better off for it.

Too many posts on DR1 are artifically inflating salaries.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
project9 said:

9,000 pesos is a luxury salary. If you want to ignore the facts, so be it.

There are plenty of professionals making less than that right now.

You have to understand that it is the current crisis caused by the greed and complete lack of morals that has devalued the peso. You can not expect local businesses to pick up the slack because of the out right theft by the dominican government. They are the ones that took the pesos value.

But since you are laughing at a 9,000 peso salary, I doubt you even live here.