bubblecuffer

Feb 14, 2016
Hi. Just joined, but activating the account after I logged in was extremely well hidden. The whole process took close to twenty minutes. Hopefully it will be worth the effort.

My wife and I live in Maine, and last night it was -15 F, although this winter has actually been warmer than normal with not a lot of snow. Anyway, we are going to be exploring DR for three weeks in March. Using mostly Airbnb to reserve a couple of places during Semana Santa. Otherwise, we will be renting a car and winging it, hoping to see a good part of the country. Have never been there, looks very interesting. We have traveled extensively in the Yucatan, Chiapas, and also central Mexico.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi. Just joined, but activating the account after I logged in was extremely well hidden. The whole process took close to twenty minutes. Hopefully it will be worth the effort.

My wife and I live in Maine, and last night it was -15 F, although this winter has actually been warmer than normal with not a lot of snow. Anyway, we are going to be exploring DR for three weeks in March. Using mostly Airbnb to reserve a couple of places during Semana Santa. Otherwise, we will be renting a car and winging it, hoping to see a good part of the country. Have never been there, looks very interesting. We have traveled extensively in the Yucatan, Chiapas, and also central Mexico.

Hi:

Are you bi-lingual? The week of Semana Santa is the busiest of the year. Many, many Dominicanos leave Santo Domingo for beach areas of the DR. Please be careful driving and try to avoid driving after the sun goes down. Where are you flying into? You should defiinetly check out Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula. Check out the DR1 Samana Tourist Guide at the top of the Northeast thread. Good luck and good travels.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Just out of curiosity, where in Maine? I used to have a house in Rangeley.

The DR is very different from Mexico. Do keep in mind that Semana Santa is perhaps the busiest week of the entire year here; it's a national weeklong holiday, and rooms and rental cars are as scarce as hens' teeth. Schools are closed, and most adults have vacation days from work. If you're a Dominican, you go somewhere with most of your huge extended family. If you're Dominican living abroad, you come home. If you're from the campo but living in the city, you go home. And vice versa. Also, during Semana Santa, you will not be able to rent a boat or do any diving, as those activities are prohibited as a safety measure because there is so much alcohol consumption that week. It's a crazy time.

I wouldn't come here for Semana Santa for any reason; in fact, having lived through four of them, I'm trying to figure out a way to get the hell out of Dodge for that week!