Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car rental, collision damage waiver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car rental, collision damage waiver

Hi. My wife and I plan on renting a car for nearly 3 weeks, hoping to see a good chunk of DR on our first trip here. There are seemingly hundreds of sites that let you search based on various criteria, but none of them seem to indicate how much the collision damage waiver will cost. Some post a cost of additional insurance, but that insurance does not seem to equate to a CDW (aka LDW.) Does anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost? Thanks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubblecuffer View Post
    Hi. My wife and I plan on renting a car for nearly 3 weeks, hoping to see a good chunk of DR on our first trip here. There are seemingly hundreds of sites that let you search based on various criteria, but none of them seem to indicate how much the collision damage waiver will cost. Some post a cost of additional insurance, but that insurance does not seem to equate to a CDW (aka LDW.) Does anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost? Thanks.
    I have rented cars at least 3 dozen times over the years. I only rent from the agencies at the airport for convenience sake. I rent the economy cars because they are easier to maneuver in traffic and easy to park. You can expect to pay around $65.00 per day with full insurance including tire and windshield protection. I have had my windshield cracked on 2 occasions from pebbles falling from large trucks, so I am glad to have had the insurance. If you get into an accident here its a big hassle for foreigners, you may be detained. Driving around the country is an AWESOME experience and really the best way to get acquainted with the country. You can find better deals outside the airport but I never shopped around because I never rented for more than a week, but you can find them. I know renting in Santiago is cheaper than Santo domingo. Make sure you unscrew the antenna off the top of your car if you park overnighton the street. DDon't leave any valuables in open view. Do not use your credit cards insurance for the car it's worthless. You MUST buy insurance from the rental agency.... Have fun

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, try not to drive after dark, and be VERY AWARE, that during Semana Santa, EVERYONE driving a car will be SERIOUSLY DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE RENTAL CAR, BE 100% POSITIVE THAT ALL DENTS, SCRACHES, AND MISSING PARTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR RENTAL CONTRACT.
    THEY will TRY TO CLAIM OTHERWISE WHEN YOU RETURN THE CAR. TAKE PICTURES ON YOU CELL PHONE IF YOU HAVE ONE.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

4. Likes jinty05, Garyexpat, KateP liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with your credit card company. Some cards cover you. Just be sure to tell them its in the DR. The RBC Avion, and the Am Ex Corporate Platinum cover you 100%.
    I have had an issue here with a rental and RBC covered it. My neighbor had a guy smash into him on New Years eve and its already been totally resolved with Am Ex.

6. Likes CaptnGlenn, Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Get full insurance, the piece of mind is worth it. From Avis for a week it cost my brother around 600.00. That was with all the insurance offered.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    Get full insurance, the piece of mind is worth it. From Avis for a week it cost my brother around 600.00. That was with all the insurance offered.
    So they charge an insurance rate per year of $31,200 US for a car most likely worth less than 31K. Sounds like a great deal to me.............

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The rental of the car with insurance came to around $600.00, not the insurance if that is what the point was.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    So they charge an insurance rate per year of $31,200 US for a car most likely worth less than 31K. Sounds like a great deal to me.............
    Car INCLUDING insurance.... not just the insurance

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I rented a compact from Budget in Playa Dorada a few weeks ago. CDW is $19.95 per day. Covered by my credit card so didn't need it. I paid $13.95 per day for the third party liability insurance which I always get in case I hit a Dominican. They tried to stick me with. $4.00 per day, glass and tire damage coverage. Not necessary. My card covered it in the CDW. Check to see what your credit card covers before you sign up. The total cost per day was $32.

12. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Car INCLUDING insurance.... not just the insurance
    I just checked for a rental in Italy that I need for a month. Under $500 US for a month with full coverage. If anyone wants the company PM me. $600 a week, you have to be kidding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast