Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car rental, collision damage waiver

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    I rented a compact from Budget in Playa Dorada a few weeks ago. CDW is $19.95 per day. Covered by my credit card so didn't need it. I paid $13.95 per day for the third party liability insurance which I always get in case I hit a Dominican. They tried to stick me with. $4.00 per day, glass and tire damage coverage. Not necessary. My card covered it in the CDW. Check to see what your credit card covers before you sign up. The total cost per day was $32.
    $32 / day x 30 days...........

Island life !! for a compact

for SKY's benefit

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful where you park the vehicle at night. If you park on the street, a lot of people have mirrors and batteries stolen, and it is almost impossible to drive in DR without mirrors. I would recommend getting CDW insurance through an external (US or European) policy. It is much cheaper and provided the car-hire company gives you an invoice, they always pay up. In the Uk I pay 31 a YEAR (like $45) for a policy which covers any car hire excess worldwide.

Please also be aware that you are likely to be pulled over by the police, who will be looking for money. They normally say that there is a fine to pay. If / when this happens, just call the car hire company. Always have a cellphone charged just in case.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

After you and your wife spend a night in the local "jail" for an accident that you never saw coming or were not responsible for...You will like have a conversation about "should I have bought all the high priced insurance". Let us know what you decide....when you finally get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am new to this Forum. I am looking to rent a car (Jeepeta or similar) for a month and up to 5 months in the DR including insurance.
    I could rent it from Santo Domingo or anywhere else in the DR. If anyone has a car up to 550 USD / month - including insurance, please let me know.
    Thanks, C

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moser.c@web.de View Post
    Hi, I am new to this Forum. I am looking to rent a car (Jeepeta or similar) for a month and up to 5 months in the DR including insurance.
    I could rent it from Santo Domingo or anywhere else in the DR. If anyone has a car up to 550 USD / month - including insurance, please let me know.
    Thanks, C
    You won't get a Jeep type vehicle with CDW, and third party liability insurance for that price. Rental agencies like Budget, National, etc. charge close to $100 per day for that class of vehicle with all the necessary insurances. Beware of renting a vehicle from a local. THEY DONT CARRY THE INSURANCES TO PROTECT YOU! If you have an accident, you ain't leaving until you pay the damages for the vehicle or person you hit and the damages to the locals car out of your pocket. There are some cheaper DR local rental agencies. Anyone I spoke to who used these ran into car problems, no breakdown backup, and lack of proper insurances. In this case, it's renter beware. CHEAP IS NOT ALWAYS CHEAP!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE RENTAL CAR, BE 100% POSITIVE THAT ALL DENTS, SCRATCHES, AND MISSING PARTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR RENTAL CONTRACT.

Also: One thing that most people overlook is checking the interior of the vehicle for any damage, upholstery, mats, dash etc. Take a video with the renter showing all the defects.

Post Thanks / Like

I always take pictures of the car inside and out and high light all of the problems. Last I take a picture of the guy renting me the car so there is no question of when they were taken. I purchase tire and class insurance and it has saved me problems twice when I returned a car with tire issues.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This question comes up pretty regularly on this forum. When I see it, mostly for my own entertainment, I always ask if anyone has ever used the insurance they buy to avoid detention. I've yet to read a response. I do sometimes see responses about windshield or minor body work claims being paid. Years ago, I personally got reimbursed for something like $200 worth of cosmetic body damage. If I remember correctly, I received credit on my AMEX account within one billing cycle but I had to fill out a pile of affadavits and send them to AMEX's insurance broker.

It's the 'casa del conductor' that interests me most. I know it's fairly expensive and my gut tells me it might not be anymore legitimate than other "official" services. I have more experience as a vehicle owner and daily commuter than I do as a renter but I've rented vehicles off and on for a few days at a time over the years.

Will this be the time I hear a first hand account of someone getting their money's worth from insurance fees that can be as much as the daily rental itself??
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Anjero View Post
    After you and your wife spend a night in the local "jail" for an accident that you never saw coming or were not responsible for...You will like have a conversation about "should I have bought all the high priced insurance". Let us know what you decide....when you finally get out.

9. Likes SKY liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

that casa de conductor is only available in some areas.

I have never bought the full coverage (when I used to rent) and never had a problem.

Lucky, I guess...
    I usually self insure.... if you save enough to pay the damage over the years, you're ahead.

e.g. - save $1,000 on insurance and incur a $600 repair bill.... a winner

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings.. any suggestions on renting a van to accomodate 7 adults with enough luggage space that is reliable for a week in August pick up Punta Cana return zona colonial ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast