Car rental, collision damage waiver

bubblecuffer

Feb 14, 2016
Hi. My wife and I plan on renting a car for nearly 3 weeks, hoping to see a good chunk of DR on our first trip here. There are seemingly hundreds of sites that let you search based on various criteria, but none of them seem to indicate how much the collision damage waiver will cost. Some post a cost of additional insurance, but that insurance does not seem to equate to a CDW (aka LDW.) Does anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost? Thanks.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Hi. My wife and I plan on renting a car for nearly 3 weeks, hoping to see a good chunk of DR on our first trip here. There are seemingly hundreds of sites that let you search based on various criteria, but none of them seem to indicate how much the collision damage waiver will cost. Some post a cost of additional insurance, but that insurance does not seem to equate to a CDW (aka LDW.) Does anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost? Thanks.

I have rented cars at least 3 dozen times over the years. I only rent from the agencies at the airport for convenience sake. I rent the economy cars because they are easier to maneuver in traffic and easy to park. You can expect to pay around $65.00 per day with full insurance including tire and windshield protection. I have had my windshield cracked on 2 occasions from pebbles falling from large trucks, so I am glad to have had the insurance. If you get into an accident here its a big hassle for foreigners, you may be detained. Driving around the country is an AWESOME experience and really the best way to get acquainted with the country. You can find better deals outside the airport but I never shopped around because I never rented for more than a week, but you can find them. I know renting in Santiago is cheaper than Santo domingo. Make sure you unscrew the antenna off the top of your car if you park overnighton the street. DDon't leave any valuables in open view. Do not use your credit cards insurance for the car it's worthless. You MUST buy insurance from the rental agency.... Have fun

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Also, try not to drive after dark, and be VERY AWARE, that during Semana Santa, EVERYONE driving a car will be SERIOUSLY DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE RENTAL CAR, BE 100% POSITIVE THAT ALL DENTS, SCRACHES, AND MISSING PARTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR RENTAL CONTRACT.
THEY will TRY TO CLAIM OTHERWISE WHEN YOU RETURN THE CAR. TAKE PICTURES ON YOU CELL PHONE IF YOU HAVE ONE.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Check with your credit card company. Some cards cover you. Just be sure to tell them its in the DR. The RBC Avion, and the Am Ex Corporate Platinum cover you 100%.
I have had an issue here with a rental and RBC covered it. My neighbor had a guy smash into him on New Years eve and its already been totally resolved with Am Ex.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Get full insurance, the piece of mind is worth it. From Avis for a week it cost my brother around 600.00. That was with all the insurance offered.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get full insurance, the piece of mind is worth it. From Avis for a week it cost my brother around 600.00. That was with all the insurance offered.

So they charge an insurance rate per year of $31,200 US for a car most likely worth less than 31K. Sounds like a great deal to me.............

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The rental of the car with insurance came to around $600.00, not the insurance if that is what the point was.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I rented a compact from Budget in Playa Dorada a few weeks ago. CDW is $19.95 per day. Covered by my credit card so didn't need it. I paid $13.95 per day for the third party liability insurance which I always get in case I hit a Dominican. They tried to stick me with. $4.00 per day, glass and tire damage coverage. Not necessary. My card covered it in the CDW. Check to see what your credit card covers before you sign up. The total cost per day was $32.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Car INCLUDING insurance.... not just the insurance

I just checked for a rental in Italy that I need for a month. Under $500 US for a month with full coverage. If anyone wants the company PM me. $600 a week, you have to be kidding.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I rented a compact from Budget in Playa Dorada a few weeks ago. CDW is $19.95 per day. Covered by my credit card so didn't need it. I paid $13.95 per day for the third party liability insurance which I always get in case I hit a Dominican. They tried to stick me with. $4.00 per day, glass and tire damage coverage. Not necessary. My card covered it in the CDW. Check to see what your credit card covers before you sign up. The total cost per day was $32.

$32 / day x 30 days...........

Island life !! for a compact

for SKY's benefit

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Be very careful where you park the vehicle at night. If you park on the street, a lot of people have mirrors and batteries stolen, and it is almost impossible to drive in DR without mirrors. I would recommend getting CDW insurance through an external (US or European) policy. It is much cheaper and provided the car-hire company gives you an invoice, they always pay up. In the Uk I pay ?31 a YEAR (like $45) for a policy which covers any car hire excess worldwide.

Please also be aware that you are likely to be pulled over by the police, who will be looking for money. They normally say that there is a fine to pay. If / when this happens, just call the car hire company. Always have a cellphone charged just in case.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
After you and your wife spend a night in the local "jail" for an accident that you never saw coming or were not responsible for...You will like have a conversation about "should I have bought all the high priced insurance". Let us know what you decide....when you finally get out.

Feb 15, 2016
Hi, I am new to this Forum. I am looking to rent a car (Jeepeta or similar) for a month and up to 5 months in the DR including insurance.
I could rent it from Santo Domingo or anywhere else in the DR. If anyone has a car up to 550 USD / month - including insurance, please let me know.
Thanks, C

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hi, I am new to this Forum. I am looking to rent a car (Jeepeta or similar) for a month and up to 5 months in the DR including insurance.
I could rent it from Santo Domingo or anywhere else in the DR. If anyone has a car up to 550 USD / month - including insurance, please let me know.
Thanks, C

You won't get a Jeep type vehicle with CDW, and third party liability insurance for that price. Rental agencies like Budget, National, etc. charge close to $100 per day for that class of vehicle with all the necessary insurances. Beware of renting a vehicle from a local. THEY DONT CARRY THE INSURANCES TO PROTECT YOU! If you have an accident, you ain't leaving until you pay the damages for the vehicle or person you hit and the damages to the locals car out of your pocket. There are some cheaper DR local rental agencies. Anyone I spoke to who used these ran into car problems, no breakdown backup, and lack of proper insurances. In this case, it's renter beware. CHEAP IS NOT ALWAYS CHEAP!

Markhill

Nov 24, 2012
BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE RENTAL CAR, BE 100% POSITIVE THAT ALL DENTS, SCRATCHES, AND MISSING PARTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR RENTAL CONTRACT.

Also: One thing that most people overlook is checking the interior of the vehicle for any damage, upholstery, mats, dash etc. Take a video with the renter showing all the defects.

BogieMaker

Nov 18, 2009
I always take pictures of the car inside and out and high light all of the problems. Last I take a picture of the guy renting me the car so there is no question of when they were taken. I purchase tire and class insurance and it has saved me problems twice when I returned a car with tire issues.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
This question comes up pretty regularly on this forum. When I see it, mostly for my own entertainment, I always ask if anyone has ever used the insurance they buy to avoid detention. I've yet to read a response. I do sometimes see responses about windshield or minor body work claims being paid. Years ago, I personally got reimbursed for something like $200 worth of cosmetic body damage. If I remember correctly, I received credit on my AMEX account within one billing cycle but I had to fill out a pile of affadavits and send them to AMEX's insurance broker.

It's the 'casa del conductor' that interests me most. I know it's fairly expensive and my gut tells me it might not be anymore legitimate than other "official" services. I have more experience as a vehicle owner and daily commuter than I do as a renter but I've rented vehicles off and on for a few days at a time over the years.

Will this be the time I hear a first hand account of someone getting their money's worth from insurance fees that can be as much as the daily rental itself??
After you and your wife spend a night in the local "jail" for an accident that you never saw coming or were not responsible for...You will like have a conversation about "should I have bought all the high priced insurance". Let us know what you decide....when you finally get out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that casa de conductor is only available in some areas.

I have never bought the full coverage (when I used to rent) and never had a problem.

Lucky, I guess...
I usually self insure.... if you save enough to pay the damage over the years, you're ahead.

e.g. - save $1,000 on insurance and incur a $600 repair bill.... a winner

Virgi

Jul 23, 2016
Greetings.. any suggestions on renting a van to accomodate 7 adults with enough luggage space that is reliable for a week in August pick up Punta Cana return zona colonial ?