Ex-pat living in DR attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanaturey

Feb 14, 2016
I copied this from an expat exchange for expats in the Dominican Republic. This is a realestate agent warning expats to stay away from "the Locals" white privilege and racism. The country belongs to the locals and the ex-pats are the guests. They need to learn some respect. If you are looking for Realestate, dont use Las Terrenas Homes

》》

~
lasterrenashomes

Invite into Your Network

7/11/2013 16:10 EST

Hi! We are fairly recent expats to LT from Canada. Honestly, violent crime against gringos is still fairly rare, I don't think it's any more dangerous than any North American city. Property crime can be a concern in some areas. When purchasing a property, choose the condo complex with adequate security. It's nice to have peace, quiet and isolation, but these factors also make your place more attractive to break-ins. We did buy a two bedroom condo on the beach, and absolutely love it. So far no problems. Mind you, I might be a bit biased as we started a rental/real estate company here. Another thing to be wary of is that unfortunately, the less you deal with locals the better.
《《《

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Don't eat any local food, and don't drink the water and don't breathe the air. Don't drive and don't talk to anyone, local or Gringo.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Can't judge their comment. Maybe for some kind of expats (those who just want a sunny affordable place to live), it's better not too mix with locals, because they maybe attract not the best of locals. Myself I don't do anything else than mix with locals, not many expats and the Dominicans I know are better friends than many of the friends I had in my country.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I copied this from an expat exchange for expats in the Dominican Republic. This is a realestate agent warning expats to stay away from "the Locals" white privilege and racism. The country belongs to the locals and the ex-pats are the guests. They need to learn some respect. If you are looking for Realestate, dont use Las Terrenas Homes

》》

~
lasterrenashomes

Invite into Your Network

7/11/2013 16:10 EST

Hi! We are fairly recent expats to LT from Canada. Honestly, violent crime against gringos is still fairly rare, I don't think it's any more dangerous than any North American city. Property crime can be a concern in some areas. When purchasing a property, choose the condo complex with adequate security. It's nice to have peace, quiet and isolation, but these factors also make your place more attractive to break-ins. We did buy a two bedroom condo on the beach, and absolutely love it. So far no problems. Mind you, I might be a bit biased as we started a rental/real estate company here. Another thing to be wary of is that unfortunately, the less you deal with locals the better.
《《《

Thats 2.5 years old btw. By any chance, do you own a real estate biz in Las Terrenas too?

Status
Not open for further replies.