Parking Colonial Zone

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Does anybody have recent insider information on a good place where to park in the Colonial Zone? It has been a few years. Parked before on the Caama?o Av, the river front, just below the Plaza - Don Diego's hangout. Is it still a good option during the day?

Regards,

PJT

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I usually park along the curb in any of the streets like Arzobispo Nouel or Calle de las Damas. There are people that will 'watch' your car. Else on Calle Isabela La Catolica , in front of Banreservas, there's a paid parking, I think it is 50 pesos.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
most of the streets are good for parking ....and nearly always someone to watch over it for a small donation

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
watching over the car is one thing

selling/renting you the parking space is another.

But PJT is streetwise.... they won't get him

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
you can park your car in a public car park in Jose Reyes just below El Conde for reasonable fees and in numerous car parks further up in Ave Mella ..there is nearly always space in the streets around Parque Independencia .

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
you can park your car in a public car park in Jose Reyes just below El Conde for reasonable fees and in numerous car parks further up in Ave Mella ..there is nearly always space in the streets around Parque Independencia .

Since Maribel Villinoa did the design for renavation of the colonial zone THEIR IS VERY LITTLE PARKING Merino, Catolica, And all in between streets have iron bars placed along the streets AMET is vigelent about no parking in those streets. So if you want to park have a nice walk. The 2 parking garages are always full. This woman has ruined the colonial zone. I moved out after being there 25 years. She was responsible for the colapse of the hotel francais and now that she has stolen all the money. Rebuilding it has halted. 35 Million dollars to ruin 2 streets and paint a fue buildings. She got away with it all and no one ever cared !

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Does anybody have recent insider information on a good place where to park in the Colonial Zone? It has been a few years. Parked before on the Caama?o Av, the river front, just below the Plaza - Don Diego's hangout. Is it still a good option during the day?

Regards,

PJT

Uber.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
xstew. It is slightly off the subject but I do agree with you on what you say about that woman from the council but at least she has been stopped in relation to the ruins of San Francisco..I actually wrote about the broken pipe in front of Hotel Frances and the Hotel was worried about the inevitable collapse. I have never found that I cannot find a space in Jose Reyes car park but sometimes it is on the roof with a long walk down and always can find a space eventually in the streets .
I have written before that in Candelaria in Bogota ,the equivalent to ZC, they have many car parks behind the facades of old colonial buildings and it works well . This could be easily done in ZC .

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They're still building the parking garage near Atarazana. However the original idea was to remove all the cars from la ZC and only allow parking in parking garages. I doubt that will be enough.

If I would be in charge of transportation I'd make big guarded parking places near subway stations, start with the subway line from Maximo Gomez to Zona Colonial (which is in plans anyway) and attract local to come to la ZC by subway and have tourists take the subway to Sambil or Agora once they done visiting ZC.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am sure all home owners in ZC expect to be able to park their cars in the street near their homes. It is after the mad scramble to put the cars in a car park at night as a semi safe haven that is when there are few cars parked on the street

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
A few months ago on a Saturday afternoon I parked on a side street and after a few beers and a nice cigar returned to find my driver side mirror had been stolen. The thief was nice enough to disconnect the wire which lights up the turn arrow on the mirror. Luckily I know the capitol well and went over to the east side, end of Sabana Larga where Dominicans buy their car parts and picked it up for a decent price.
I'll be looking for a parking lot the next time I hit ZC.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Probably bought your own back...the main problem in the ZC is the theft of mirrors and wheel hubcaps. ..no one seems to trap the two or three men who do these thefts.. I have seen one carrying a satchell trying to rip off the mirror and stopped the theft but not the thief.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I bought my mirror back on 'la 20' (calle moca). If it happens a lot it's better to buy two fakes and keep the original ones for when you want to sell your car. Other people have a mirror cut in two halves and put it back like that, to avoid the hassle of stolen mirrors.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you're worried, just go to a hotel - like el Palacio - and ask how much to park your car for a few hours.

Garage there is empty most of the day.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi Gary,
Same thing happened to me several months ago. Lost the passenger side mirror (street side) and they broke the drivers side mirror trying to take it off so they left it. I would love to catch these thiefs as it's annoying as hell. I too, couldn't find anyone to watch the car as no one was in the area.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

Regards,

PJT

Park where ever you can in the street but please respect the sidewalks and do not listen to the street peddlers watching your car and telling people to put their 2 to 3 ton SUV's on top of the sidewalk blocking, entrances of homes, the walkway for pedestrians and on top of it destroying the cement blocks. I am so sick of feeling like I need a can-opener to get out of the front door of my house because someone parked their vehicle on top of the sidewalk. And on top of that I have to pay for the repairs of the sidewalk when the weight of the cars destroys them. Not long ago I confronted a clearly educated man in a Mercedes SUV who blocked the entrance to my home. His excuse was that the street bum directed him to park there. Does that street bum also advise you on investments I asked. The Government needs to create more garages.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Did go and parked on the river front just below Plaza Espa?a. Parking is limited, best to arrive in by 9 am. There are shady points and guards working for a propina. Would not park there at night, no way. People not in the best of shape would find the stairs to the Conde are a workout. The stairs to Plaza Espa?a are less of a workout.

Regards,

PJT