Restaurants in Puerto Plata Area

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I recently returned to Puerto Plata after a seven month absence due to health issues in my family.

Right now, I have a group of doctors working at the hospital in Imbert and another group working in various barrios providing medical care and medicine to the poor. They finish on Friday, and leave for the US Saturday morning.

I have been asked to find a nice restaurant where they can have a dinner on Friday night, a sort of celebration. Other times, they went to La Parrillada, which is now closed.

Since I have been gone for a while, I don't know the current state of better restaurants here. I know that La Tarrappa was good, as was Las Palmas. In Cofres?, I know about Los Dos and Papillon. How are they now? Are there any other options to suggest that are of similar or better quality?

Thanks everyone, I've been a bit out of touch until now.

Edited to Add:

It is a group of more than 30.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how big is a group? village cafe, just down the street from metro is quite nice. the seating is inside, with air con. calle 16 de agosto, 809 261 9783.
on luis ginebra there are two nice places, kilometro zero (international) and sebastian (italian). kilometro zero: 809 244 4346, sebastian: 809 320 8818.
jack tar in playa dorada is very good as well. http://www.bluejacktar.com/en/restaurantes-y-bares
in the city centre there is kaffe, good food, stunning interior. https://es-es.facebook.com/kaffeamigos

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I recently returned to Puerto Plata after a seven month absence due to health issues in my family.

Right now, I have a group of doctors working at the hospital in Imbert and another group working in various barrios providing medical care and medicine to the poor. They finish on Friday, and leave for the US Saturday morning.

I have been asked to find a nice restaurant where they can have a dinner on Friday night, a sort of celebration. Other times, they went to La Parrillada, which is now closed.

Since I have been gone for a while, I don't know the current state of better restaurants here. I know that La Tarrappa was good, as was Las Palmas. In Cofres?, I know about Los Dos and Papillon. How are they now? Are there any other options to suggest that are of similar or better quality?

Thanks everyone, I've been a bit out of touch until now.

Edited to Add:

It is a group of more than 30.

La Tarappa is good like you say. 809-261-2423
its reasonable price

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
how big is a group? village cafe, just down the street from metro is quite nice. the seating is inside, with air con. calle 16 de agosto, 809 261 9783.
on luis ginebra there are two nice places, kilometro zero (international) and sebastian (italian). kilometro zero: 809 244 4346, sebastian: 809 320 8818.
jack tar in playa dorada is very good as well. http://www.bluejacktar.com/en/restaurantes-y-bares
in the city centre there is kaffe, good food, stunning interior. https://es-es.facebook.com/kaffeamigos

i have never eaten at kaffe, but you are right about the interior being magnificent..

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
bluejacktar is expensive if I remember Beer was like 450 pesos
village caf? is small

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I have eaten at Kaffe and their food is excellent, but am not certain that they could accommodate a group of 34 persons. I also wonder about size for Las Palmas, Kilometro Zero and Sebastian.

I have eaten at Los Dos, and it is big enough, but their quality depends on who is doing the cooking. Never have been to Papillon, but hear it is quite good. No idea about size.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have eaten at Kaffe and their food is excellent, but am not certain that they could accommodate a group of 34 persons. I also wonder about size for Las Palmas, Kilometro Zero and Sebastian.

I have eaten at Los Dos, and it is big enough, but their quality depends on who is doing the cooking. Never have been to Papillon, but hear it is quite good. No idea about size.

no way kaffe is going to accomodate 34 people. it was not intended for that purpose.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wha? village cafe is big. jack tar has menu on the page, not expensive and big enough. el papillon... probably you'd need to call thomas. maybe he can accommodate a group this size. the food is worth it. sebastian would be too small. kilemetro zero could fit 34. kaffe has salon upstairs, good enough for about 50 people.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I tend to think like a Dominican, Blue Jack Tar will run 22 to 25 usd a meal without drinks. that is high to me but Doctors can afford it no problem.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Los Dos has been closed for a long time. There is another restaurant there now, but its not like the Los Dos of old.

In the Cofresi area, I would recommend Tres Cocos (run by one of the partners from Los Dos), Pavillion, and Los Charros y Los Pinches Chaparros.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How about sea food in Maimon? Give them a taste of the DR instead of a steak they could have back in Boston or wherever.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
How about sea food in Maimon? Give them a taste of the DR instead of a steak they could have back in Boston or wherever.

best idea yet. we eat there all the time. its on the right hand side of the road. parking in back. Joan or Johan something like that. Beer and fish. pick your own fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
best idea yet. we eat there all the time. its on the right hand side of the road. parking in back. Joan or Johan something like that. Beer and fish. pick your own fish

i don?t understand what you mean. there are several fish restaurants in Maimon. there is a large one which surely will be able to accomodate 34 people.

stroke of genius, Derfish. needless to say, it will work out cheaper than any of those other suggestions.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Maim?n would be my choice, but they want something nice like La Parrillada was.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
i don?t understand what you mean. there are several fish restaurants in Maimon. there is a large one which surely will be able to accomodate 34 people.

stroke of genius, Derfish. needless to say, it will work out cheaper than any of those other suggestions.

yes its on the right heading towards Santiago past the boat dock. Joan Or Johan is the name one the sign. the large one will put you in the places across the street and next door. the make the room.. they catch the fish right there.

Yes dERFISH great idea.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes its on the right heading towards Santiago past the boat dock. Joan Or Johan is the name one the sign. the large one will put you in the places across the street and next door. the make the room.. they catch the fish right there.

Yes dERFISH great idea.

i am thinking of the one on the left , going towards Santiago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last few times i was in maimon i was painfully disappointed. literally. 24 hours of close encounters with the toilet. kinda dampened my feelings for the place.