What's truly Dominican?

RandR

Jan 24, 2002
This is my last post until my return, and I'm still in the dark. I know amber and larimar is available, but have tried the archives, and cannot determine what DR is known for otherwise. I've plugged in souvenirs,crafts, wood carving, textiles, etc., but nothing much is discussed.
I love buying stuff from other places. We've been to Bali several times, and there's so much there. Conversely, we lived on Guam and there was basically nothing to be had made locally. Is there a market for anything in the Dominican Republic? I've read about the art from Haiti, and do plan on checking that out, but is there anything truly interesting to be had?
Thank you all for any and all answers, and answers from previous posts. Also, I do grind coffee, and will be doing so with that Cafe Santo Domingo upon my return!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you get up to La Isabella you might see the local guys who make beautiful statues out of wood. They are highly polished (pulido) and some are called "tainos". They are found in more places, but that's where we found ours.
Have fun.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
What to bring home

I have brought beautiful art (i.e. mi morena) as well as Cigars, Rum, Coffee, some handicrafts. Larimar jewelry is beautiful, however only purchase at reputable places. I have also bought music i.e. bachata, merengue. I also love to shop at La Sirena in the capital for things such as soaps, shampoos that are great and super cheap.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
artifacts

A local guy came around to my hotel in Las Terrenas one Sunday with some stone figures that were found nearby. They were about 500 years old, made by the Taino Indians. If you pick up "Caribbean" by Michener, it'll be an enjoyable read, covering especially the Taino indians in the first few chapters.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
artifacts?

Arjay, are you sure they were artifacts? Or were they haitian stone carvings less than a week old and pawned off as taino artifacts? Was he selling them? At a special price? To pay for an operation for his son?

hehe. Tongue in cheek, obviously, but I am genuinely curious to hear about the "artifacts". I am a sucker for that kind of stuff.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not artifacts(?), but never mind. They are quite available in the South, out by the airpport entrance....Dime a dozen is the expression that comes to mind...

there is some excellent but pricy art at Casa Nader in the colonial zone.

there is some very good jewelery at Bradors or at Capriles.

"Quaint" stuff can be had on the road between Santiago and POP and on the highway to Santo Domingo. Some Dominican and some even chinese made to show Dominican colors.

HB